United States
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena Under 40
Age Group Rank = 17/18
Pre-race routine:

Let me first start of by saying that prior to the race I had family in town for a week prior to travelling to Texas so my schedule was completly thrown off. I work the graveyard shift so needless to say when they were in town, I was up when I would usually be sleeping, and sleeping when I am normally awake. During the time when they were in town the most sleep that I got was 4 hours. They left on Friday and I flew with my husband to Texas early (6am) in the morning to get to Texas in time for packet pick-up and the race on Sunday. Before the race even started I was exhausted and jetlagged. NOTE TO SELF: THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!!

Woke up at 5am took a shower to wake up a little. I had a small Luna Bar and water and headed out.
Event warmup:

I got my transition set up. I was a little thrown off setting up my transition area, I usually do races by myself and I don't have anything else on my mine, but my sister was doing the race with me, and I was answering all of her questions, so my mind was somewhere else.
Swim
  • 21m 33s
  • 547 yards
  • 03m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am always nervous about the swim, and to make things worse this time I was doing the swim without a wetsuit. Having a wetsuit I know I can't drown. :-)

We jumped in the water and the first thing that sort of calmed me down was the fact that it was fresh water. I'm used to swimming in the salt water so the fresh water was a little comforting.

I tried to stay as relaxed as possible and wait for the gun to go off. Once the gun goes off I tried to mentally stay calm, I started swimming pretty well for the first 100 yards and as I was sighting it seemed like I wasn't going anywhere the rest of the pack had left me stranded. TIME TO PANIC!!!

Now my breathing is going crazy and I know I don't have a wetsuit so I can float for a couple of seconds to regain my composure so I start to breast stroke.

I see the rest of the field leave me, so I want to quit but I know that it's probably easier to just drown myself instead because I would hate to get out and face my family and husband if I quit. So I start telling myself next bouy and I'll be almost there. So I start picking off bouys one by one. Towards the end it had to be life rafts, but at this point it was just a matter of finishing.

21:33 minutes later I stepped on the later and my nightmare was over.
What would you do differently?:

Not Panic
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Two things strck me when I got out of the water. 1. WOW, that swim sucked. 2. Holy *&$# it's *%&$in HOT!!

I got to my transition area I realized that I forgot to put my gels in my shoes so I could take them on the bike. So I had to go into my transition bag and take them out. Considering how I was feeling, I stayed pretty calm when I realized my gels were still in my bag.

Remember to put my gels in my shoe
Bike
  • 53m 52s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out on the course and all I can feel is the heat, humidity and the sun. WOW. I can't believe people in Texas I actually get used to this. About 2-3 miles into the bike I feel nausees (sp?) and dizzy. I knew I was close to being last so I looked around to see if the sag wagon was behind me. I couldn't see it so I kept going. I knew that at this point it was all mental and I need more electrolytes and fluids than I would usually take in in San Diego. So I open up a gel and not even 5 minutes later I feel 10x better. I start taking in fluids before I even feel the need to drink. I had 2 water bottles with me one with water and the other with Nuun. I used the water to squirt over me, because I could feel myself overheating, and I didn't want to end up in the hospital. I figured I had come this far there was no way I'm leaving in an ambluance.

I hit the turn around and the have ICE COLD Gatorade Endurance. I had a couple of sips of the Gatorade Endurance, and realized that it was so cold that I could use that to keep myself from overheating. At the same time I realized that I was out of water anyways. So I throw the water bottle on the ground and keep the gatorade. I use the Nunn that I have in my 2nd water bottle as my electrolytes.

For the last half of the bike course I pour the cold gatorade on myself to keep cool, it was the greatest feeling in the world to have the gatorade. I can finally feel the gel kicking in and I have lost the dizzy and nausess feeling from before.

At one point I think I blacked out because I almost feel off but some how I kept myself upright.

Turn on the AC?
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

This was my first time riding with actual bike shoes on so I surprised myself at how comfortable I was getting in and out of the clips.

I got off the bike and was a little dizzy. I tried to run back to my bike rack, but I figured I'm not trying to place just finish so if walking is what gets me to the finish line walking it is.

Get out of people's way
Run
  • 57m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 18m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

At this point I just wanted to finish and try not to be the last person. At first I tried to run, but I could feel my skin and body just heating up. The dizziness came back so I started to walk. I took a water bottle with me to drink, but it ended up on me instead. Like the bike I used the water to keep myself cool. A

I was wearing a San Diego Tri Top and a lot of the people passing said "it's not this hot in San Diego", "welcome to hell", and "it's not even hot yet" All the comments made me laugh, and it's what I needed at this point.

I walked the first mile and it seemed like and enternity. I realized that I was out of water so the thought of trying to run scared me, so I resorted to walking until a aid station. 1.5 miles and an aid station, what a beautiful site. I was tired of carrying my water bottle so I told the lady she can have the water bottle if I can have water. I was going to give her the water bottle anyways but I gladly took the water from her.

Once again I dumped water over me to stay cool, but not knowing when the next aid station was I tried and pace myself with using the water. It didn't work and I was out of water within the first .5 mile.

I tried to run because I couldn't see anyone behind me, I ran for a good 100 yards and then I had to stop. It's better to finish dead last than not finish at all.

I finally got to another aid station and they told me I had less than a mile left. Muisc to my ears. I took some water and kept keeping on.

I finally turn the last corner, beat up, and litterally near heat exhaustion I see the finish line. I hear some people cheering but for the most part people were packing up their stuff and leaving. I see my family cheering and telling me to run, so I do a little shuffle for pictures and I cross the finish line.

NEVER DO A TRIATHLON IN TEXAS DURING THE SUMMER!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Once I crossed the finish line, I find a shaded area and colapse on the grass and take my shoes off. My husband came over and gave me a Hawaiian Lai and told me he was proud of me. This coming from a guy who runs 3 hour marathons and never trains really made me feel good.

He bought me a smoothie from Smoothie King, which is my favorite, but I saw that they were giving away free beers so I took a beer instead. Not wanting to enjoy the smoothie he bought for me I drank both the beer and smoothie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT

Event comments:

I have said it in a pervious post I applaud anyone that can train in the heat and humidity. San Diego has made me spoiled and I can't imagine living and training anywhere else.

If I had to do it all over again I would try and get to Texas a little earlier to get used to the time change. As for the getting used to the heat I would have to travel about an hour out of San Diego to get some training in with the heat.

Last updated: 2006-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:33 | 547 yards | 03m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 18/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: The course was a weird triangle shape where we kept the buoys on our right shoulder
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:52 | 12.43 miles | 13.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/18
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course had some rolling hills which I hadn't done much training on. But it was doable.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:19 | 03.11 miles | 18m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/18
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills, no shade, HOT
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-21 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: IronGirl Texas

2008-07-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: #935235

User image

Subject: RE: IronGirl Texas

I love your aversion to the heat!  But as some of the women were saying-it really wasn't hot yet!  I've been in Texas for a while and I still haven't gotten used to it, but I couldn't imagine coming from San Diego!

Good job on finishing!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGirl Texas Rss Feed