Lifenets
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 33s
Overall Rank = /60
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, ate banana, drank cup of coffee,Mixed up water bottle with HEED, pumped up bike tires, noticed inner-tube sticking out sidewall of rear tire, pushed tube into tire causing tube to blow-up. Changed tire to old training tire. Drove to Mandan at 7am. Registered for race.
Event warmup:

Rode bike down to Main Street & back. Ran in parking lot. Swam 10 minutes . Talked to Jim who was hit by the car at the West River race.
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam with M. Cook from Minot, Older lady also doing her third Tri. I felt I swam really well. My fastest swim split which is still really slow but getting better.
What would you do differently?:

Probably take off sooner from hanging on the side of the pool after each length of the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

This is probably the closest I will ever be to my bike getting out of the pool probably only 20 yards at the most. Things seemed to go pretty well. I didn't put on my bike jersey because it was already hot outside. This time is an estimate.

Bounce the water out of my ears before taking off riding. Make sure I get the HRM working correctly.
Bike
  • 36m 30s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike ride felt pretty good. I thought I was going a lot faster than my average speed shows. I was messing around with my HRM trying to get it to read my HR but I ended up having to turn it off & on so I lost an accuarate time of my bike & T2. Long gradual hill seemed to really kill everyone. Wind was really coming out of the South coming up onto Custer Flats est. 15mph

I should have been working my heart harder. I was only averaging 164. My first two races I had HR at 170.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Bike kept falling over while I was putting on my shoes. Finally I just leaned it up on the bike next to me. The person had already gotten in so was done biking. This time is an estimate

Put sunscreen on my lower back. I didn't know it was going to get hot so fast that I would have to run without my top.
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Hardest 5K run. I've ever raced. I couldn't stride out on the down hills & I was having a hard time pushing off my toes on the uphills. I had to slow down to follow the orange flags & arrows but it was better than getting off course like some people. OverAll the course was fun because you had to be thinking all the time.

Find out the course before hand, when I am home from work I swim at the Mandan CC. It would be no problem to train on the course.
Hill training both up hill & downhill.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Took shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't get my HR up to where it should have been for a short race. I really didn't feel like making my body suffer today. I felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere biking & running by myself.

Event comments:

Lots of friendly volunteers, Run course monitors needed to be paying more attention to help guide the runners. Woman that sung the National Anthem did a great job. Kirk Nelson was the winner. He smoked the course in 57 minutes. I had to google his name because he was so fast. He is a ND native that is a Pro living in Colorado.[WWW.trikirk.com] is his website.
I don't know my real time because my HRM problem and when I crossed the line I asked the timer what my time was and it was a 2 hrs & 8 minutes. She recorded the time off the Oly stop watch. Time at the scorers table was 1:12:33 so that is the time I'll have to use.I think I won my age group but I had to take off before the awards presentation to get back to work.

Last updated: 2007-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 600 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Mandan pool. Yardage 1/2 of pool. Race was listed as 500meters but the ""short 1/2 is 25 yards so I know I swam 600yards. 11 laps. 9 1/2 laps on the "long" 1/2 of the pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:30 | 13 miles | 21.37 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Downhill to Main Street, up hill over the railroad overpass. flat until crossing the bridge over the Heart river, 3 miles up hill to the Mandan Airport & Custer flats, slight down hill to the turn around. Nice wide shoulder to ride on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:23 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Course: Sunset Park MTB trail, single track, lots of turns & switch backs. 1st 100yards & last 100yards on pavement Mandan CC parking lot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes