General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat triathlete??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-06-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: #948118

User image

Two Rivers WI
Subject: RE: Fat triathlete???

I finished my first Tri on Sunday, It was unbelivably awesome!!! Im an addict for sure.

For all those worried about it an dwanting to do there first...go for it. Ive been trainning since Aug 07 but i finished at 275lbs...6ft.....and i was not last...but def the biggest guy there.

Did it on my mountain bike too.

2008-06-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1463521

Regular
maryland
BigRacer - 2008-06-12 5:49 PM

I finished my first Tri on Sunday, It was unbelivably awesome!!! Im an addict for sure.

For all those worried about it an dwanting to do there first...go for it. Ive been trainning since Aug 07 but i finished at 275lbs...6ft.....and i was not last...but def the biggest guy there.

Congratulations! Great feeling, huh?
2008-06-12 9:41 PM

User image

arizona
i am hoping to do my fisrt tri in october in arizona!!!
2008-06-12 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1463521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
BigRacer - 2008-06-12 5:49 PM

I'm so proud of you!! And the pics are definitely awesome
2008-06-13 5:26 AM

User image

North Georgia
Hurrah! Way to go!
2008-06-13 8:42 AM

Ellicott City, MD
Congrats Rhonda on Eagleman! I know several people who bailed on the run because of the heat! I am so impressed with finishing that distance in any conditions but last weekend here, yikes! You rock

2008-06-13 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Congrats! Way to go!!! So when is the next one?
2008-06-15 12:28 AM

User image

New user

Subject: JFDI

I am so happy I found this thread!!  It has been motivational to read all of your thoughts.  I absolutely love a few of the quotes I found on here.  DFL>DNF>DNS is an awesome mantra.  My current mantra is JFDI (Just Focus and Do It, Just F'ng Do It, or Just Freaking Do It, take your pick!!)I am going to compete in my first Sprint Tri on Saturday, 6/21/08.  We had the course preview this morning.  The lake is ice cold.  I didn't have my wetsuit available this morning, but will next week.  I still got in and swam with everyone else.  I think some of the others were surprised that I even tried it.  Many were complaining the whole time.  It has been years since I did any open water swimming.  We swam about 400m.  We did 20k on the bike.  Then we ran the 5k course.  It has a hill in the first mile.  It nearly made me want to rethink this whole deal.  I've been training on a flat course.  I did it!  I was DFL, but I Just Fricking Did It!!!!So often in my life I have been among the DNS crowd.  Never again!!!

If I can do this, anyone can!!!!!  I am done T - R - Y - ing!  Now I'm T - R - I - ing!!!

Chris

2008-06-15 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
^^^^ way to go!!!! my first tri is on the 13th of july and like you i'm so determined to do it! congrats on your decision and hard work! let us all know how you did. i totally love reading about everyone's races and finishes. gives me hope!
2008-06-15 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I ordered my first tri apparel last week. Based on the measurements I was figuring it was going to be a little snug but still should have fit. Yeah, right. It was very depressing. And now I'm in a deep funk. I ordered something else from REI which I think should fit but will be horribly unattractive and quite laughable. How does everyone deal with body image issues?
2008-06-15 5:05 PM

User image

Alaska

kappie, I just did the race with the clothes I had. (I still don't own a Tri Suit.) It's on the list, but so are a lot of other things.

Keep in mind, too, that a body in motion - regardless of size - is a beautiful thing. We all deserve to feel happy, healthy, and good, regardless of size.

And everyone I've met in the tri community has been incredibly awesome. Non-triathletes raise eyebrows when they hear me say I train for tris. By contrast, I've gotten to know one of the best triathletes in my state through my volunteer work and she is amazing - she actually asks me when my next race is and how my training is going.

Moving > not moving. Racing now > waiting (unless there are legitimate injury concerns.)

People at your race are not going to be worried about you - and if they are, that's their insecurity and their problem, not yours. I've been teased about my weight, but it never comes from someone dedicated to their own fitness pursuits. I really don't think you have anything to worry about with the tri community.

2008-06-15 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1467482

kappie72 - 2008-06-15 12:28 PM

I ordered my first tri apparel last week. Based on the measurements I was figuring it was going to be a little snug but still should have fit. Yeah, right. It was very depressing. And now I'm in a deep funk. I ordered something else from REI which I think should fit but will be horribly unattractive and quite laughable. How does everyone deal with body image issues?

I spent a ridiculous amount of money buying different shorts and tops online. When I started trying it all on, I was in the same funk I think you're in. Not all XXL's (or 2X's or any other X's) are created equal! I returned everything but a pair of tri shorts, a sports bra from Enell (btw - that is an amazing bra!) and a bike top. I look like a sausage! I figure I can't fight it; so I might as well embrace it. I have to remind myself that this is not about fitting into numbers or X's; it's about strength. I may look like a sausage; but I feel strong, and I forget I look like a sausage when I'm in the water, on the bike, and on the trail. That's just how I deal with it -- everyday. Keep on tri-ing!!
2008-06-23 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I am finally a slow, fat, honest-to-goodness triathlete!

I did my first race on Sunday and I accomplished all of my goals. Then I was chatting with a friend today and found out that her 10 year old daughter wants to do a tri just because of me. That literally brought tears to my eyes. All my life I never figured that fat me would ever be any inspiration to anyone. But now I am. It's good and weird all at the same time.
2008-06-23 10:33 PM

User image

New user

I did it too!!! I completed my first triathlon on Saturday, 6/21/08.  My official time was 2:02:41.2.  It was just off of my 2 hour goal, but some pretty weird stuff went on in the swim.  I am satisfied with my overall performance and now it will only get better.  I now know what to expect on race day.  My next tri will be on July 12th.  This is a flatter course so I willl likely do better in the bike and the run.  I am a SFT, but I am proud of it!!!!  It beats the hell out of a SFCP - Slow Fat Couch Potatoe.  I was once proud to be that.  If I can do it - any of y'all can!!!!

Edited by Shumbdit7 2008-06-23 10:35 PM
2008-06-24 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran

congrats to those of you who just finished you first tri. any words of advice for those who are nervously waiting for race day????

2008-06-24 9:36 PM

Veteran
Words of advice? When one event is over, just shut that down and move onto the next and pretend you are starting from the beginning. When you start feeling sorry for yourself (which I do all the time because I'm fat) just wait until you see the cheers for you at the end of the race. You'll be hooked. That I promise you! When spectators see us fatties, they are inspired to get started in this sport. You will be surprised on your journey how many lives you can change. Now that's a gift in my book. The best piece of advice I got on my first tri is in the swim, go as slow as you possibly can-start out the bike slowly as well as the run or walk. You'll get your rhythm, but don't push it or you will just be spinning your wheels.
Can't wait to hear the results!
Rhonda

2008-06-25 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
thanks for the advice. i'm so nervous sometimes, and the race isn't until july 13th. some days i think this is no problem, i can finish this. other days all can think about is what happins if i don't finish. then i remind myself that DNF is not an option for me. i want my students to see that anything is possible, even when it seems like the deck is stacked against you.
2008-06-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1488943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
nmp - 2008-06-25 10:10 AM

thanks for the advice. i'm so nervous sometimes, and the race isn't until july 13th. some days i think this is no problem, i can finish this. other days all can think about is what happins if i don't finish. then i remind myself that DNF is not an option for me. i want my students to see that anything is possible, even when it seems like the deck is stacked against you.

Let's see if I can help. My nervousness reached a peak the Friday before my race. I spent all day trying not to throw up. I realized that I have lived my life on the couch and that my brain was playing tricks on me leading up to the race by telling me that there was no way I was going to be able to finish this thing. I knew that going into the race, my training wasn't as consistent as it could have been.

But then I started looking back to January when I first started training to see how far I had come. I used to be able to only swim 25 yards before having to take a break and now I could swim a half a mile! I used to be able to only jog for 15 seconds for every 10 minutes and now I can jog up to 2 minutes every 5! I used to be able to only be on the bike for 20 minutes before getting exhausted and now I could be on the bike for an hour!

I'm not going to lie to you. Even going into the race, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish. It wasn't until the second lap of the bike course that I said to myself, 'I CAN TOTALLY FINISH THIS THING!!!'

YOU CAN DO THIS! You have trained for this. In a few weeks, you WILL be a triathlete!
2008-06-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1488999

User image

Veteran
thanks for the encouragement and congrats on becoming a triathlete. i've been very frustrated with training hard and not seeing it in the scale. my hope was to be down another 10 pounds by race day and i don't see that happening. so i think that frustration is spilling over into my nerves collumn. not to mention a bad workout comes along every once in a while. just gotta keep going though. it help to hear about other peoples' races though.
2008-06-25 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Hopefully this will give you a little inspiration. I was given this card the day before my race and was told to open it on race day.

Whether you know it or not - today you will test your own limits, you will inspire someone else, you will win a test of wills between your mind and body, you will prove you could, you will be the reason someone starts tomorrow, you will gain confidence, you will believe you can do even more.

You will make a positive difference in so many ways when you step up the starting line where only a few truly understand the determination it took to get there. To most people today is just another day. For you, it's a chance to make your mark.
2008-06-25 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1489348

New user
Urbandale, IA
nmp - 2008-06-25 11:53 AM

my hope was to be down another 10 pounds by race day and i don't see that happening. so i think that frustration is spilling over into my nerves collumn.

Well I dropped about 33 pounds prior to my first race but put 2 1/2 back on the week before. So I would not worry about weight at all.

My first race had 2200 people signed up, racked 1800+ bikes due to weather and venue changes and only 1257 ended up finishing.

It was olympic distance and it was a blast! Read my race report:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2008-07-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1422008

User image

Expert
Decatur

nmp - 2008-05-23 2:43 PM i guess i'm going to have to get over my nerves and purchase a tri suit or short/top. i swam last night in a suit and sports bra. (no more wardrobe malfunctions!!) it felt much better. i have a hard time running though. even with the sports bra. anyone have any suggestions. beyond giving myself two black eyes, it hurts!

enell.com

2008-07-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1488943

Veteran
Brrr-mont

nmp - 2008-06-25 11:10 AM thanks for the advice. i'm so nervous sometimes, and the race isn't until july 13th. some days i think this is no problem, i can finish this. other days all can think about is what happins if i don't finish. then i remind myself that DNF is not an option for me. i want my students to see that anything is possible, even when it seems like the deck is stacked against you.

You WILL finish it, you have it in you to do so.  You are an amazing role model already for setting a goal like this, and when you finish, that's gonna rock!  I think the nerves are just showing you that this is important to you. 

For me, crossing the finish line, even if I am the last one, is a personal victory, and sometimes a little bit more...

Last Sunday, I did my second tri...my parents, hubby and kids were there, and frankly my second event was even more amazing than the first.  Why??  The most amazing sappy thing happened at the end of the race, my grumpy, hormone filled teenage boys, told me they were PROUD OF ME...unprompted, unsolicited.  Talk about validation.  It really brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Never, ever before have they said anything like that to me.  I may just have to start wearing my tri outfit 24/7, although they may not be so proud if I do that

2008-07-10 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1520843

Veteran
Brrr-mont
latrina - 2008-07-10 2:43 PM

nmp - 2008-05-23 2:43 PM i guess i'm going to have to get over my nerves and purchase a tri suit or short/top. i swam last night in a suit and sports bra. (no more wardrobe malfunctions!!) it felt much better. i have a hard time running though. even with the sports bra. anyone have any suggestions. beyond giving myself two black eyes, it hurts!

enell.com

I second the Enell!

2008-07-10 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1520843

User image

I'm in the second week of training for my first Sprint and have been dealing with the wardrobe question... how do I control these darn things and not have to wear a million layers?  Can I wear one of these enell bras under a tri suit?  Good luck with the race!!  I know you'll finish.

Edited by acvaut 2008-07-10 3:52 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat triathlete??? Rss Feed  

of 9