Treadman
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 18s
Overall Rank = 10/10
Age Group = coed relay
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

This race was a 9am start, so no rush in the morning. We ate breakfast, had coffee and packed the car.
Event warmup:

After getting our numbers and setting up transition, I went out for a short run and stretched. Jeremy took the bike out for about 20 min.
Run
  • 30m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I started in the middle of the pack and of course got passed quickly. I found a rhythm and tried to focus on keeping my stride loose and picking up my knees a bit. As I passed the fisrt mile marker, I saw that my time was 9:21. WHAT? While that is great, I didn't think I could hold onto that pace for long. I slowed a bit on the gravel and tried to focus on keeping my HR down. Into the last mile, I was running with an older guy and we just chugged along. With a half mile to go, I calculated that I was going to come in around 30 min. I told him it was time to go and sprinted the last half mile. It hurt, but I got close to that 30.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm super pleased with that run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Transitions sure are easier on a relay. I found Jeremy, switched the chip and he was off.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 20s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Jeremy rode this so I'm taking this from his comments. He set out to pass as many people as possible. He passed 43 and got passed by 2. Pretty good. A couple of times he had to slow a bit because of bikes in front of him and cars back. The wind was in his face on Hwy 3 and that's a long road. That probably hurt the pace some.

Nothing. He gained back 4 places that I lost on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Love relay transitions!

Nothing.
Run
  • 32m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

During Jeremy's bike, I drank a bottle of water and had a gel. I also stretched a bit and tried to sit as much as possible. I got to meet MNDiver who was helping with scoring. It was nice to have someone to talk to while I was hanging around.

I started the run and noticed my legs were feeling pretty dead. Guess I ran pretty hard on the first 5k. My first mile was 10:20; much slower than the first run, but still good for me. In that first mile, all the fast people were on their way back to the finish and it was nice to see them and cheer them on. It seemed like a really long time between the first mile marker and the turn-around. Much more than a half mile. By the time I saw the turn, I was hurting bad. Basically just shuffling along. I ate the two shot blocks that I brought with and took another drink at the last water stop. Then it was just another mile to go. This is where it's all mental. I had to keep telling myself that I could do this. Just 8 minutes to go. That "numbers game" is crazy, but it's what got me through it. I sprinted (or what passed for a sprint at that point) the last tenth mile and finished. Whew. That was hard.

Be more prepared for that distance. I had not run 6 miles before this race. My longest training run was 4.5 miles. Maybe more stretching during the bike leg, but that would only help if I was doing a relay.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some water and a cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I'm pretty happy with the race.

Event comments:

This was a distance PR for me and my fastest 5k in almost 2 years. It was also Jeremy's first race of any kind since high school swimming. We had no expectations except to have fun and finish. I'm happy with our performance. I'll put this one on my calendar next year as relay or a single.

Last updated: 2007-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:11 | 03.11 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 10/10
Performance: Good
Avg. HR- 172 Max HR- 181 340 cal.
Course: We started on Hwy 3 west of Douglas. Then turned down a gravel road, did a strange 4 shaped turn and came back on the trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:29
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:00:20 | 19 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 6/10
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out to Genoa Hill, right on Hwy 5 to PI, right on 3 back to Douglas. A big pie shaped course. Lots of rollers with one big hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:55 | 03.11 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 10/10
Performance: Average
Avg. HR- 168 Max HR- 178 357 cal.
Course: Straight out and back on the trail. Same water station. The sun was getting hot and I was glad when I found the shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-02 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: TreadMan Duathlon

2007-09-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #950102

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: TreadMan Duathlon
It was nice talking to you yesterday.  Congratulations on having a great race.
2007-09-04 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Glad you had fun, it's nice to race close to home isn't it.  Good job on the 1st 5K and way to gut it out on the 2nd.  I didn't get much of a chance to say much more than hi cause we had to get to a wedding but at least we met.    
2007-09-04 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job! You really pushed that 5k hard and gave it all you had.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TreadMan Duathlon Rss Feed