Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tax Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-05 5:29 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Tax Question

Hey BT, I have a question for the tax people here.

I work in a crime lab and have been dabbling in private consulting work. Here in the lab, when we make a fingerprint ID, we get that ID verified by another examiner.

On my last private case, I made an ID and had a coworker (real job) verify it. Since I wasn't paying the coworker, I was going to take her to lunch. Can I consider the lunch a business lunch or expense and write it off on my taxes?

Thanks

2007-09-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #953239

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Subject: RE: Tax Question

I'm not a CPA but I have owned a small business.  The following article might be of use. 

http://www.quicken.com/cms/viewers/article/taxes/52210

I would be careful though in how and what you document.  Depending on how you document this could become income (non-taxable, IRS publication 525) to your co-worker because it's payment for work performed and then instead of a deductible meal (which is only 50% of it's cost anyway) it's back to lunch as usual.

I'm sure it won't be difficult to come up with a legitimate reason that you met with this co-worker over lunch but this is one of the areas that the IRS gets real picky with.  I doubt they will be looking for problems with $20.  My guess is that the value of doing this is not worth the headache of deducting it because of the "reasonable and customary" rule.   I always hated going through this issue so almost never deducted these things.

Maybe a real accountant will see this and post at least it's a bump.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tax Question Rss Feed