Quebec, Quebec
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 25s
Overall Rank = 5/66
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Nothing very original. Took a quick shower. Put on warm clothing. Then started to eat while on BT. PB toast, chocolate milk and a big bowl of Rice Krispies. I drank a "Boost" in the car and had 2 granola bars while warming up.
Event warmup:

I arrived very early. I got to see the Elite start. Stayed there for a while and watched the swim. Then went to the transition area to make sure everything was there. Finally, I decided to warm up on the bike even though earlier I thought it would be best not to do so. Good thing that I did though since I realized then that my rear brake was touching the wheel.

Then, I went for a little run, about 10 minutes with Dan, one of the club members. I did a few accelerations to activate the legs and then headed back to the transition area to put on my wetsuit. This time I put "Body glide" AND baby oil to help remove the suit.

Ok rant starting here, I have to talk about it... I arrived 2 hours before the race. I had THE spot I wanted. I was right beside someone I know who wouldn't be in my way at the end of the swim. I went for my warm-ups. When I came back, my things had been moved and someone put his bike between mine and Dan's. He literally took my towel, goggles, shoes, etc. and put it on the other side of my bike. There's a reason why it was on the right mister! I changed it back to the way it was. While I was doing it, the man arrived and I told him that I was here since 2 hours and I didn't like the fact he moved our things around. He wasn't uncomfortable at all and even gave us bull**** saying that we were taking too much space and blablabla. For the record, we were 4 in the rack, and the officials said we had to be four by rack... Ok, rant's over.
Swim
  • 10m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had the opportunity to watch the Elite race start. Lucky me! The start was on the beach. Everybody in line waiting for the start. I decided to start completely at the left side. At first, it doesn't seem to be THE thing to do BUT believe me...it was! As soon as the siren went off, I took off running towards the water. People who were on the right, had about 2-3 steps to do and then had to dive and start swimming. People, like me, who were on the left, though a lot farther to the buoys, could do at least 7-8 steps and then run a little more in the water before diving in. So the race started very well since I was at the front for a few seconds. It didn't last long since there were some swimmers who were a lot stronger than I. The only negative side of my starting spot was that, even if I ran longer, the bottom of the lake wasn't getting deeper gradually. At one point I had water up to my calf and the next step I was shoulder's up... so I missed a step and face dove without any chance to put my arms first. My goggles almost went touching the back of my head. I almost stopped to put them right but thought it would be chaos if I did.

My swim was good, a little too fast for me though. My sighting was the worst this time. I could have been faster if I had been closer to the buoy. At the end of the first loop, we had to get out of the water, which I did just after 3 other guys. We ran almost in line and got around a bunch of cones and a lifeguard chair. The 3 guys went straight back in the water, to their right. Where did I go? YUP to the left again. I (soooooo) overtook them! I got a jump of a few meters in front of them. The last portion was approx. 200m in a straight line. The 3 same swimmers got back close to me and 1 or 2 overtook me before the swim finish. I got out of the water a whooping 7th overall, which is FANTASTIC for me! Viva le wetsuit.

What would you do differently?:

Not much really except try to have a better sighting and don't zig-zag at all.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 sucked big time! The zipper didn't want to come down. I pulled very hard and tried a few different ways but it wasn't coming down. It finally came down when I arrived at my spot. Removed the wetsuit but it got stuck again at the heels/foot. Got it out of the way and took off with the bike. Shoes were on the pedals, tied with an elastic. I jumped on the bike, put my right foot on the shoe, tried to do the same thing with the left, when suddenly I see a pole coming at me... I "front" braked, came at a 45 degree angle, didn't fall and finally got going. It took me a lot of time to get my feet IN the shoes and I got passed by about 4 people at the exit of T1. Not good.

Pretty much everything.
Bike
  • 30m 37s
  • 20 kms
  • 39.19 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was okay. I lost a few places at the start of the bike. Got 2 out of the 4 places back. I managed to keep a good speed even though there was a pretty good wind at some places. The second loop was definitely slower than the first but I didn't know why at the time except that I thought that I was tired. Well, the night after the tri, I went to look at my bike for something and I realized that my rear tire was at 40 PSI! I think I got a slow flat and it slowed me down a bit but I'm not 100% sure. No problemo, I'm happy with my bike results anyway.

At the end of the bike, we were about 4 of us heading in close together. I managed to overtake 1 just before entering T2.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 sucked a bit, too, but it wasn't entirely my fault. We were 3-4 entering at the same time. I ran faster than the others and 1 got in my way, I managed to go around him. This was a long run to go to my spot. T2 time is included in the run time.

Heh...maybe try even harder to overtake EVERYONE before entering T2?!
Run
  • 20m 56s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 11s  min/km
Comments:

The run was good, I think. I overtook 3 people at the start of the run leg just after getting into the woods. I didn't want to stay behind. Sometimes I do it and try to relax and keep some energy but this time I thought I would go flat out and see what happened. A few hundred meters later, I heard someone breathing hard behind me. I thought it was one of the people I overtook that wasn't happy and was trying to push the limit a bit too far BUT the person that was behind passed me soooo fast! In reality, I was going at a fairly good pace but it made me think at the time I was going a lot slower. I learned, too late, that this guy was part of a relay team and he just started to run. Argghhh! It shook me psychologically for a little while and I was worried that people would just pass me like I was picking up violets in the woods...

At the 3km mark, we had to come back near the transition area and the finish line where all the spectators were. When I approached, the announcer told in the mic something like : " Ohh... Steve Vaillancourt is coming. #99. First guy from Quebec and first from the "Rouge et Or". Yup, that helped for a few meters!

I struggled for the 3rd and 4th kms. At the last km mark, I picked it up a bit and at about 400m it was all out! I finished very strong.

Not much. I think I did very good and managed the pain all along.
Post race
Warm down:

I talked with a few tri club teammates and also saw my friend puke as he passed the line! Fun stuff.

I drank a bit since there wasn't a lot of water/gatorade spot along the course. I had a few watermelon pieces too. After 10-15 minutes, I went running for a 15 minutes or so. I came back thinking I should hurry to be there for the award ceremony and go look at the results. I did and realized I was in a tough category... no hardware for me since I finished 5th.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries through out the year. Aside that, nothing much really.

Event comments:

Lots of fun. It's the second year this race exists. Last year there was 65 triathlets and this year, more than 120.

Last updated: 2007-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:53 | 750 meters | 01m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 7/66
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course. 4 buoys on each corner plus 2-3 more in between. We had to get out of the water, go around a lifeguard chair and run back in the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:30:37 | 20 kms | 39.19 km/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 9/66
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 2 loops of 10 km in an industrial park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:56 | 05 kms | 04m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 4/66
Course: 5km in the trails. It was in the woods, cross country skiing trails in the winter. At around 3 kms, we were passing beside the Finish line and finished with another 2km trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-06 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon du Rouge et Or

2007-09-06 8:52 PM
in reply to: #954717

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon du Rouge et Or
Wow!!!  Congratulations on a great race.  It's a good thing that whole little transition "discussion" didn't go down on the ice .  Nice race report.
2007-09-06 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
Look at you, mister 5th overall!  Nice race!  I love the flying leaps during the swim- I can absolutely picture you doing that. 
2007-09-07 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Felicitations!

I feel your pain about someone moving your stuff. One of this province's best racers - and my neighbour! showed up late for the first race of the season and put his bike right on MY transition stuff...had I not gone back to check, I would have had trouble getting my stuff because it was a wave start and he was in the last (fastest) wave.  

I wonder if you low air pressure had something to do with the mechant monsieur? hmmm? It sounded like sabotage was possible for him.

Still great results. Sounds like you have to work on zippers a little more...I used to have a book on how to undo bras, clasps and zippers with one hand - it's from when I was dating. I will try to find it for you...lol!

Great race! 

2007-09-07 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
And by the way? Baby oil for the wet suit? Is that safe? I thought baby oil ate through rubber? I have another book on rubbers...I'll find that for you aussi!

Edited by windnsnow 2007-09-07 11:19 AM
2007-09-07 2:05 PM

User image

Looks like you kicked a little a**! AND you are becoming famous in the Canadian circuits! Congrats.
That shoe thing getting on your bike seems to be your nemesis. Would love to see a clip of your shoe trials in action!

2007-09-07 4:29 PM

Pro
AZ

Wow! Great race!!  5th overall! Such a studd!!  I think you would have been better just putting your bike shoes on in T1!!  And yeah....stay away from the baby oil. Save that for other endurance events. You may want to cut a slit in to the back of leg openings.

Again...super job!!

2007-09-07 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Cool race and smart move on the swim! I've always had a thing for the left lane also. Nice setting for  a Montreal PB maybe
2007-09-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: #956097

Champion
South Jersey

Great race, Steve! I loved your "probably everything" comment under what you would do differently in T1. It looks like you raced very smart (especially with that swim) and were well aware of what was going on around you. That's a bummer your tire pressure was running a little low, but you still had a great split despite that. And, nice strong run...especially given all the knee issues you've been having.

Great race! Now, rest up and take care of that knee. Congrats again on what was a really good swim for you .

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon du Rouge et Or Rss Feed