General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall Frenzy -1st Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-08 10:49 AM

Subject: Fall Frenzy -1st Race
Anyone else doing the fall frenzy and this is their first race? I am doing the duathlon. I am excited but nervous, I don't feel that I have trained enough, but I do know I'll finish, wether I have to walk the last 3 miles or not.

2007-09-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: #956372

User image

Colorado, USA
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy -1st Race
How did you do? I know they had some issues with the woman's du times, as I was sitting next to the eventual winner......I did the tri (not my first) and though it was pretty well done- it seemed to drag on forever. Some people were there from the transition opening at 5:30 am all the way until 2 or so for AG awards. I got second in my AG but may have been docked for riding the outside too long on that one hill right after the turnaround. I was trying to pass six bikes all at once and I know a monitor was watching. There wasn't enough space to tuck back in so I had no choice. Guess I need to work on more power on the hills.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by mike_in_denver 2007-09-10 10:01 AM
2007-09-10 10:37 AM

It was good! I ended up running most of it I'd only let my self walk for a few seconds a few times cause I knew if I walked longer I wouldn't run again. So I am so thrilled I ran most of it. I am sore today, but not as much as yesterday. It was good I'd like to do another one, so you could say I am hooked!
Thanks for asking!
2007-09-10 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Congratulations! I felt the same way after my first tri: sore and tired but definitely hooked.

I did the relay with my wife (she did S/B and I did the run). She ended up getting bumped to the very last heat because of her relatively fast swim time. So instead of going off at 10:35, she didn't start until an hour later. There didn't seem to be any organization to the swim heats and looked like everyone was just waiting in line to go whenever. Then of course there was the 400 yard run to the transition area. We put her shoes and a towel just outside the pool door and that seemed to make it easier.

The day just seemed to drag on and on. Seems like the thing to do is fudge your swim time so you can start early (which is definitely what some racers did).
2007-09-10 1:00 PM

User image

Colorado, USA
I found a group of 4 other 10 minute swimmers (we were supposed to start at 9:55-10:05) and we moved up to the front- got to swim at 9:15. Maybe instead of a "fast lane" they should have a "slow lane" for anyone > 24:00 minutes or so. Heh, I'm not that fast but it would have been nice to run while it was still in 50's....sorry to anyone I bumped.

YMO

Mike
2007-09-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #958134

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

your not kidding about poor organization on the swim.  I've raced FF 4 times and only once have they been close to getting me in the water close to the projected start time.  I've emailed the race director a couple times about this...but in my opinion it has gotten worse.  I chose to save myself the frustration and not participate this year.  I was there though with my kids, watching my wife.  Her swim heat started about an hour late.  I know these events are difficult to coordinate and I appreciate all the hard work of the RD and volunteers.  Other than the swim heats, I think they do a decent job.  But sheesh, with the timing chips you would think they could get swimmers in and out of the pool faster! I also thought it was intersting that they say that you would be penalized for swimming the fast lane if you were slower than 7:30 and could not do flip turns.  There were plenty of swimmers in that lane that were not flipping and slower than 7:30!  Yeah, I sound like sour grapes and I didn't even race.

Congrats to all of you that raced!

2007-09-10 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Ya know I've done this the last 5 years, and I thought yesterday they did pretty good.  I got in the water within 30 minutes of my time (Heat 13 9:30) and I know they started 20 minutes late because of the police showing up late.  So this was the best swim I think they've had.  I also for the first time found people who actually could swim the time the projected.  In fact they pushed me the whole time.  So I was happy.

i do think they need to skip the fast lane and just let people go in order.  I also think they need to be more strict and make sure your seeded in the heat they are running.  This way no one can sneak ahead which I know was going on all day.  (Sorry Mike)  I do like that a lot of the faster people are around for the awards, and they generally start later, unless they hopped in the fast lane finished and left 3 hours early.

Heck I was happy it warmed up by the time I ran.  I PR'd the run yesterday.   I was running I think just after 11:00 or so.

2007-09-10 2:13 PM

User image

Colorado, USA
No offense, just being honest.
Anyway, how about they consider the way Highlands Ranch does their swim?
They organize the 4/5 person heats/groups in advance and write it on your arm. That way no guessing or "moving up". Also, they start with the faster heats- which I'm sure everyone will agree are more consistent in finishing times.
If they also instituted a "slow lane" they would take care of the really slow swimmers so that they could be off the course in a timely manner...
BTW one of swim coordinators told us they had very few takers for the fast line with the original criteria. So then they changed it to 7:30 , no flip-turns. That didn't last since most of them were in the back.....Then they started using the lane for "faster slow swimmers" which I guess included us..

Mike
2007-09-10 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Last year this was my first race, this year I did it for the second time. I love this race!! I swam in the fast lane both times, which is very nice of course. You can basically go when ready.

Yes the pool swim takes a long time, but you can sleep in. Their transition area is well setup, so even if you setup late you are still getting a good spot. The RDs are great folks and the volunteers are plenty and great! It is a very first timer friendly setup which gets a lot of people into the sport! In the end it is all about having fun!!

Congrats to you LogansMom with finishing your first Tri. I was in your shoes last year and have been hooked ever since. Tri races are just amazing aren't they!
2007-09-11 2:54 PM

User image

Parker, CO
I had to re-read the first message, I too thought it was your first tri, but now I see you did the duathalon, CONGRATS!

This was my 2nd tri (first was the tri for the cure) and I really enjoyed this one. I did get in line with 4 other swimmers (all guys hehehehe) with the intent to go before our heat, which I think by number we may have been a bit early, but we were still late in original time. The guys were definately faster than I was and pushed me to keep up.

I liked this race although (not slamming anyone that organizes it since I don't have much to go from) I like the thought of a slow lane and seeding the swimmers faster to slower. I'm a "fast" (hahaha about 9 mins) swimmer and suck on the bike and am average on the run, still come in just under 2 hrs. So, starting at almost 11 was cruel. I was the only rider they had to stop a ton of traffic on Jordan for, I felt bad. I missed the massages, had 1 choice of burrito and felt kinda rushed on the run, like they were going to give away the 900 bike while I was still on the course! Plus I missed football!
2007-09-11 3:11 PM
in reply to: #960405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
LeeLola - 2007-09-11 1:54 PM

starting at almost 11 was cruel. I was the only rider they had to stop a ton of traffic on Jordan for, I felt bad. I missed the massages, had 1 choice of burrito and felt kinda rushed on the run, like they were going to give away the 900 bike while I was still on the course! Plus I missed football!

Amen.

Not that I'm vain but I also didn't see any of the fotojack photographers out there after 11:30 am when we were doing our relay. Since this was my wife's first "tri" (she'll never be able to run due to her rheumatoid arthritis), and our first relay together, I really wanted to have some pictures to remember it by.

2007-09-11 3:48 PM

User image

Colorado, USA
Is there anyone out besides me thinking this may be a tad large of a field for a pool swim?

Anyway, congrats to all for "doin' it"! I'll be there next year regardless. Maybe this will be motivation to get a lot faster and learn how to do a proper flip-turn....

Now time to train for the Denver Half.

Mike
2007-09-12 6:36 AM

User image

Parker, CO
Yes, it was a bit busy for a pool swim I can do a proper flip tum but i can't do 7:30 swim, my asthma kicks in and I just can't do it. Maybe I'll focus on training my breathing. I will definitely be there next year and worse case scenario i can always lie about my swim time, it seemed to work for a lot of others *gasp*

The only "race" I'm doing the rest for this year is the Race for the Cure, I'm really excited too, last year we finished it in 59 mins (yes it's a 5K) and I was 30lbs heavier. So, since I can do the 5K in about 36mins AFTER a swim and a bike ride, hopefully I can shatter my 59 min time
2007-09-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: #961142

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
They should seed the swim based both on estimated swim time and estimated total finish time.
Obviously if swimmers are circling lanes, each lane must have swimmers that have similar swim speeds but they should also be seeded with the goal of having all the participants finish closer together, as early as possible, and as close to overall results order as possible.
2007-09-20 1:34 PM

User image

Parker, CO
Very good point!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall Frenzy -1st Race Rss Feed