Marigold Days Committee
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 50s
Overall Rank = 33/47
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am. Did the usual morning routine. Had coffee and cereal/yogurt.
Event warmup:

Short warm-up, ~half mile or so. Tried to focus on picking up my knees and having a fast cadence.
Run
  • 29m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very small race and I started in the front. Even though I was passed by lots of people, it was better to start there. Once we were 6 or 7 minutes into it, no one really passed me again. There were no mile markers, so I had no idea where I was pace-wise. I was listening to a Podrunner program with 178bpm. That cadence was perfect for a quick leg turnover. I tried to focus on the beat and keep my feet moving. It felt a little faster than I'm comfortable with, but not too awful. Around mile 2, I started to feel a little fuzzy, so I slowed down for 5 minutes or so. As soon as I felt better, I picked up the pace again. Once we came back into town, I focused on catching the two girls in front of me. The guy was too far and I couldn't reel him in. I passed the girls with around a half mile left. Of course all distances are estimates. As I turned the last corner for the finish, I noticed that I was going to be close to 30 minutes. That was incentive to kick it up a notch. I rolled on down to the finish with 29:50 on the watch.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I warmed up enough. Probably another half mile warm-up would have helped. I also need to learn to push through that yucky/fuzzy feeling of mile 2.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, drank water and OJ. The finish was about 4 blocks from the start and it did me good to walk back to the truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really at this point. I'm pretty happy with that time.

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:50 | 03.11 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/47
Performance: Good
Max HR- 181 Avg HR- 169 (Not sure about that AVG. I kind of estimated. My chest strap was too loose and didn't read correctly some of the time).
Course: Sort of a loop around the north end of Mantoville. About a third of the course was on gravel. Rollers mostly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?