General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Geneva Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fontana, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 2s
Overall Rank = 23/158
Age Group = M 18-24
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30. Choked down an oh so tasty Cliff Bar! Headed out to Lake Geneva for a day of fun and adventure.
Event warmup:

Did a few stretches. Played around in the water for a couple minutes before my heat started.
Swim
  • 07m 29s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was pretty darn easy if I do say so myself. Some people complained that it looked a little short or whatever, but I enjoyed it. I somehow ended up right in the middle front of the pack! Eeeek! Run away! Before I know whats happening the guy rings the bell and it's time to go.

No turning back now!

The first 100 yards or so were intense... I swam too fast and too hard. That being said, I slowed down a bit and settled into my pace. I found a nice lady in front of me in her black wet suit that did oh so well in pulling me along and making me swim the right way. Like they say: Just follow the bubbles!

Finished the swim strong and swam until I was digging sand.
What would you do differently?:

Take it a little bit easier in the first 100 yards!
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Awesome T1!!!

Sprinted up the beach to my bike spot and threw down the cap and goggles. The shirt went on easier than I had expected too. Sunglasses were in the helmet opened and waiting, put them on, then grabbed the helmet. Snapped the helmet, grabbed the bike and ran with it.

Not a single thing, better than I had dreamed!
Bike
  • 53m 23s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I absolutely peddled my little heart out!

This is where I made up a bunch of time! I felt like I passed soooo many people! I gotta say, there is no better feeling in the world than blowing right past a 30 year old muscle man on his $6,000 bike while on your own little road bike.

The ride started out a little hard. The first couple miles I could only keep the speed around 14-16 mph. After the initial first couple hills it flattened out a bit and I got to hammer it. Picked up the pace to a good 19-20 mph spin. A guy from my wave came up behind me and tried to pass me, I wasn't gonna have any of that. We went back and forth for pretty much the entire bike ride.

Best moment of the bike: I'm coasting down the hill in full aero around 32 mph when I start to pass a guy on a Cervelo P2C that is completely decked out. The guy is still peddling while I'm coasting, and I'm going past him. As I pass him I look over and he says, "What the hell!!! You can coast down a hill faster than I can peddle down it!" I guess sometimes it pays to be packing a couple more pounds.

Scary moment of the day: Woman 2 bike lengths ahead of me tries to pass someone on the left, doesn't realize that there is someone right behind her. Guy behind her had overlapped on her wheel. She moved left, they smacked wheels and he went swerving waaaaay back and forth. I nailed the brakes, and luckily he stayed up.

Overall the bike was awesome, I made up lots of time and did very well. I accomplished my goal of completing it in under an hour.

Spin a little bit easier of a gear to start out with. I was trying to mash a harder gear too early.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Another great transition!

Got in, helmet and glasses off right away. Threw the bike up on the wire by the drops. Grabbed one last drink and the number belt and I was off.

Only complaint is that the way the set up the transition, it added about a quarter mile to the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 08m 17s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half mile was brutal for me. The calf muscles were not liking it at all! I was going veeery slow up the last hill towards the turn around when I got a slap on the butt from a guy I had met before the race.

"You didn't come this far to go slow, lets go pick it up!"

Made it to the turn around and grabbed a quick cup of water.

The way back was much more enjoyable then out! Downhill almost the entire way back!!! Finished strong and sprinted through the finish line.

Run harder!!! I didn't feel like dying at the end so I guess I could have pushed harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 15 mins or so. Had mom (Physical Therapist) stretch me out a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick the past week.

Event comments:

Overall this was an awesome first race to start with. I did a great job and shattered my goal of finishing in 1:30:00!

I was extremely proud of myself now that I can officially say that I am a Triathlete!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:29 | 481 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/158
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Easy swim parallel to the beach. I could stand up for the first half.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:23 | 17 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Starts out with a long low level gradient. After that it was hammer time! Good sets of hills all the way through the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:08:17 | 01 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Uphill all the way out and downhill all the way back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-08 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance

2007-09-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #956541

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance
Hey! Great Job triathlete!!!
2007-09-10 3:47 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

AWESOME race and congratulations to you.  Impressive.  You learned a valuable lesson watching that almost-crash.  Be careful out there.  Try to be aware of who's around you and where they are at all times.

Thanks for the pics and keep ROCKIN'.  Get a trainer and keep riding this winter.

2007-09-11 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Doot!  Youre first race and you take hardware with 2nd in your AG?!  Freakin' awesome!  Way to smoke the fock outta it!
2007-09-11 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks guys! Yeah, my only regret is that I didn't get into this craziness any earlier this year! Now I've got a loooooong time to improve over the winter! Must.... Go.... Faster!

Oh yeah, Morey, no money for a trainer... Parents say I have to go invest in some strange thing called an "Education?" Anyone hear of that?
2007-09-11 10:15 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Look on ebay! (for the trainer)

2007-09-11 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Second problem... No room. Fitting a bike and a trainer in a dorm room would never happen.

I'm stuck riding in the cold until it snows, then it's to the recreation center and onto the stationary bike.
2007-09-12 9:52 PM

User image

Nice job with your first race. I had to comment because I swear I ran into you and MUtri the night before. The sport is addicting and you'll see a ton of improvement as you continue to train. Best of luck with that!
2007-09-12 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Haha and yeah, I'm already addicted. I think I might just be able to sneak in one more race before the end of the season. I've got the bug!

Upping it to a sprint if I'm able to get into it!

Edited by J_Cow 2007-09-12 10:07 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance Rss Feed