Indiana Department of Natural Resources
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 3s
Overall Rank = 73/197
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/24
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual, got up early (3:30am), had half english muffin with peanut butter. Rode up to the race with Amanda and Rich - stopped at McD's and got coffee and a Cinnamon melt. First people to the race, got setup on good rack in coveted end spot, and got all set up. Just chilled out and met some others from BT and Circle City Multisport. Nice foggy damp morning to hang out.
Event warmup:

I actually ran about 5-10 minutes to warm up, and got in the water and swam for a couple of minutes. Scary - it actually worked.
Swim
  • 08m 26s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I rocked the swim. It was a "sudden" start, we were all standing around the water chatting, and the gun went off. We all looked at each other in suprise, and I dove in and sprinted the first 100 yards with nobody in front of me, nice clean water, and just refused to slow down any. Navigation was spot on, I even brushed several yellow marker bouys with my right shoulder. Water was on the cool side - they said 80*, but with the recent rain, felt like 76-ish - loved it. I was the 3rd person out of the water. What a great swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I guess I need to pay attention to the announcer, but what fun would that be? If I make it to swim practice some, I may be able to swim quicker, but it was a fantastic swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time was included in the swim. Run from swim to Transition was in the 1:00-1:15 range, maybe 400 yards uphill on grass? I put my helmet on and slipped on my shoes at the same time, strap up, and hit the bike out.

I always feel in a panic in T1. I really need to probably practice it a couple of times the week before a race. Aside from that, it was a FAST transition, less than 45 seconds - maybe even 35 seconds, I may be able to save 5 seconds, if that, above what I did.
Bike
  • 52m 3s
  • 16.6 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a small amount of side stitch and GI stomach distress issues, but for the most part I nailed the bike ride. I felt strong. Took a cappucino hammer gel when I hit the dam, drank the aero bottle of gatorade (2 scoops powder mixed with 32 oz water). Shifting was off - bike needs a tuneup. Great ride - I think I was the 4th person to leave T1, and got back about 15th or so. All in all, it was a great ride for me, I crushed this ride!

Need to adjust/tune up shifting. Try nutrition/hydration prior to race day (switched from Clif to Hammer gel. I also tried some EAS Catipult that was in the race packet on the ride up - nasty stuff. Ride lots before race week.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time built into run time. Came off the bike fast, screaming into the dismount line, both brakes locked up, feet on top of shoes, feeling like a million bucks knowing I just kicked ass on the bike. I was able to actually run off the bike, throw my shoes on, grab a bottle of water and race belt. I sucked down a couple of gulps of water, and dumped the rest over my head.

I had about a 30 second T2, I don't know that I could have done much better. I did miss the trashcan with the empty bottle, but then again, this is triathlon, not basketball.
Run
  • 39m 36s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran, abeight slowly, the whole way. I initially had some calf cramping right off the bike, but that went away after 1/2 mile. I left everything on the course for this one, I don't know that I could have gone further or harder. My knee was good until 2.5 miles, when I could tell it was swelling back up. By the time I got done with the race, my knee was the size of a softball.

If you were not aware, Thursday, my right knee swelled up. Doctor did not want to poke it with a needle yesterday, so no real immediate relief - some cortizone to help the swelling - and I ran today. I did all I could today, but in the future, do not run in new shoes 4 days before a triathlon - which is why I had the issue.

Still ran a great time for me, for the most part.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a couple of minutes, grabbed a cookie and some water and went back to the finish to get pictures of everyone else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee definitely hurt my run, I could have gone faster on it. Aside from that, I had a great race.

Event comments:

I love the venue - I hunt here as well. This was my second year doing this race, it's first rate, as is it's staff.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:26 | 500 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 12/197
Performance: Good
Suit: Circle City Voler 2 Piece
Course: Clockwise 3 sides of rectangle, great marked course, great pebble beach, no funk in water - water was actually very clean, a nice refresh after all the other lakes I have been in this summer.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:03 | 16.6 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 57/197
Wind: None
Course: Beautiful rolling loop around the lake, crossing the dam and red bridge. The roads were public, but there were very few cars, due to the fact we were way out in the cornfields of Indiana.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:36 | 04 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 127/197
Course: Rolling course that uses a mixture of paved non-vehicle trails, park roads, some public roads and 1/2 mile cross country course through the woods with steps and a wooden bridge to cross. It is really a fantastic run course - love it - love it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-08 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon

2007-09-09 7:00 AM
in reply to: #956606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: RE: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon
Great race, I hope your knee gets better, I think the transitition time is built into the bike, I had about :32 seconds from my watch to my swim time, but I had about 2:10 added onto my bike time. So in that case you really jammed on the bike. Great job.

Ron
2007-09-09 11:02 PM
in reply to: #956606

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon
Great race TJ you set the bar for Moose and I to work on for next year...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty Mississinewa Triathlon Rss Feed