View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Total Time = 22m 3s
Overall Rank = 53/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I never received my race packet in the mail, so I went to the race early to try to get a replacement bib. It was no problem, so I probably worried about it for nothing.

Walked around the expo (huge number of sponsors) and got some goodies.

I am always humbled by the family groups, survivors, and supporters. My mom is a survivor, and her fight was relatively easy compared to many others. I thought of Terri and others who are BT regulars and how cancer has touched and challenged so many lives... I know I am lucky and somewhat selfish to be here to race for a personal fitness goal... but it also makes me proud to be among 14,000 other runners and walkers here for the cause.

Tried a handful of raisins before the start... will still experiment with other options.
Event warmup:

light stretching
Run
  • 22m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first race I ran in 06 after I started exercising again, so it had some symbolic meaning to me. I have gotten somewhat faster since then. One of my goals for this year is to complete a <22 minute 5K, so I kind of turned it up.

I started strong and felt good for the first mile or so, but I had weird kind of dizzy feeling start to kick in. This was kind of weird, as I've never had anything like this before. I was on pace for my goal, but I didn't want to pass out or anything, so I just tried to keep focus and ease up a little bit.

For the last mile, I was feeling like I didn't have much left in the tank. I always try to trick myself into competing when I feel spent...in this race they were only timing the first 50 men and women, so I kept telling myself that I was #51 and I better finish strong. I passed about 4 guys sprinting toward the finish and was bummed to check my watch and see my time was 22:03. This is a PR, and I'm not really that upset, but, you know, I didn't hit the mark I was after. I also felt like my head was about to explode.

I checked the results in the evening and saw that I was #42 among the men... so any disappointment I had about not hitting my time was gone. I was thrilled--there were, I think, over 3500 competitive runners. So, yeah. I feel pretty good about this race.
What would you do differently?:

I still have a lot of work to do with pacing so I can have more than one 7 minute mile in a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water, grabbed some freebie food to take home to the kids.

Event comments:

Great race. I love the family groups and survivors...reminds me how unimportant things like my 5K time are.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:03 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on two main roads in Mason, OH. Flat course
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]