Austin Triathletes
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 24s
Overall Rank = 26/269
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/28
Pre-race routine:

Raisin bran breakfast at 5:45, 1 cup of coffee, got in a dog walk and left at 6:20 and made it with only 5 minutes to spare into the transition area, which closed at 7:30. I would have probably made it earlier but Kevin (my nephew) came along and participated in his first so I spent some time helpng him get ready.
Event warmup:

Not much, just wade into the water and some stretching. Oh yeah, I had to stop and pull the fishing hook out of my foot. Seriously.
Swim
  • 13m 50s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st leg went okay, but goggles were fogged. 2nd leg, went 10-20 yards out of the way rounding 1st bouy as the intermediate bouy was out of alignment. 3rd leg went 10-20 yards out of the way by just swimming crooked.

After all that (and very little training) I came out of the water 5th. Still, there is alot of room for improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Prep goggles better; sight on TURN bouys; continue sighting even in third lap.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

The transition was in the grass, and it was nasty. I sat down and tried to get the feet clean, that probably slowed me down some. Otherwise I was pretty much in and out at a slow pace. At 1:56, I can see room for improvement.

Have a big bottle of water to wash feet; put on shoes and socks standing up; try hurrying a bit more.
Bike
  • 38m 33s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The hilly course kind of took me by suprise, and took a lot out of me but I hammered up the big hills. I let off on some of the smaller hills trying to roll over them. I was passed by two guys, one in the 30s age group, but still it irked me. Another 50+ guy passed me but turns out he was on his first loop while I was finishing. I was tasting very salty sweat, which I hardly ever have done before.

Stay in the drops/aero bars more. Drink more at every chance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I rode hard up to the dismount line. I jogged easily and got into the shoes pretty fast. I could have hurried more but needed a bit of recovery and also took time to take in some fluids.

With a better ride (and more fluids) maybe I could shave 0:20 off this transition.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt sluggish, couldn't get pace up (or stride length). Part of that was the bike but part was the lack of training I'm sure. My first mile felt really slow. I couldn't drink alot but I did douse totally with cold water on the head. I didn't have much determination - one guy passed me in each of the first two miles. I held off one guy in the last mile though, feeling better in the third mile.

Need more training, especially speed training at race pace (to raise overall speed at LT). Some bricks from intensity on the bike to intensity on foot would be good too.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a post-race massage. I think this helped reduce soreness significantly. I also hit the Accelerade samples (drank 8+ cups) which I think helped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training, and possibly some preparation and drive in the transitions.

Event comments:

It was small but fairly well organized. Being in a state park lakeside, it was a bit rural in nature (rocks, dust, sticker burrs), but that seemed okay.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:50 | 875 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 5/269
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 3 leg horseshoe shaped course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:33 | 12.43 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 0/269
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 lap course with hilly rollers and a couple of larger hills (200 ft?).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/269
Course: Out and back trail run first 1+ miles, then another out and back dirt road run along the lake with some ruts and rocks and a slight hill up to the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes