Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri Peachtree City
Total Time = 1h 12m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/88
Pre-race routine:

Got up, drank my regular shake, loaded car and headed to PTC.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, 10 min run.
Swim
  • 10m 34s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Two person time trial every 3 seconds. Navigation was off a little at the start because I confused yellow caps with yellow buoys a couple of times. After swimming by a few people and getting in a clear area, navigation was easier. I was looking for a sub-11 minute swim and got it but should have pushed a little harder on the inbound leg.
What would you do differently?:

Need some more work on my swim, but overall my pace is getting faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

My spot was all the way to the left, in the corner at the end of the rack coming out of the swim so it was easy to get to my bike, but a long run in shoes to T-exit. Slight problem putting on sunglasses but got out quick. Looks like I tied for second for T1 time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 27s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Found out the problem with my sunglasses coming out of the no-pass zone. The lenses broke, so grabbed them and put in back pocket. Several "Night Moves" practices helped familiarize me with the course so didn't make the same mistake as last year on chose the right gear for the hills. My cornering was also better this year. Kept a good pace and didn't try to drink anything until turning back on to Hip Pocket but swallowed wrong and spent too much time coughing and trying to get my breathe back. Managed to recover before the next hill. Went in to the no-pass zone and after coming around the library got out of my right shoe but had a little trouble getting foot on top. Left foot no problem. Good flying dismount but the guy in front of me lost control of his bike running across the timing mat and his bike went down. Had to turn hard left to avoid running his bike. After that, quick getting to my rack, shoes on and exiting.

Need to check the course mileage. The timing guys used 13.2 miles, but when I've done "Night Moves" I came up with 13.7-13.8. Check my sunglasses when setting up transition. Probably not drink on the bike at next sprint...if its not too hot out.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Good transition. Looks like I was 3rd for my a/g.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good on the run. Good mental focus and did not walk any this year. Also did not slow down for water. My goal was to look at the back of the person in front of me, catch them and pass them. I saw Matt ahead of me just before the turnaround and went after him. I knew I had him when I saw him slow down for water. Met up with him, then smoked him :-). I did get passed by an 11 year old kid who ended up winning the 14 and under a/g. During the last mile I was passed by 3 guys in my a/g but they had higher race numbers than me so figured they started behind me. I decided to let them go but tried to stay within 30 seconds of the lead guy. My strategy paid off with all except 1 of them who I think ended up placing 11th in my a/g.

My run time has really come down, a 7:26 pace is the fastest pace I've had coming off the bike in a race. Continue to work on my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched. Light 5 min run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been focusing on my swim and run while maintaining on the bike. Need to continue to focus on the swim and run while improving on the bike too.

Event comments:

Tri-PTC continues to put on one of the best if not the best sprint triathlon in Georiga. Felt very good finishing in FOP instead of MOP. A couple of mis-queues on the bike fumbling with my sunglasses and the water bottle, but overall a good race for me. I shaved 4 min off the swim and almost 3 min off the run from Indian Springs. It was a good double brick workout, just need to make sure I change my mindset from "redline" to "pace" for Duke HIM this Sunday.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:34 | 600 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/88
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Clock-wise rectangular
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:27 | 13.8 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/88
Wind:
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:02 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/88
Course: Loop around lake and neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes