United States
Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 29s
Overall Rank = 52/535
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up EARLY!!! 4:00 am. Showered. Got my carb drink and water together. Loaded up the car and headed out to get a good transition spot.

Got to the rec center and got one of the first spots near the bike out. Set up my stuff in the dark and then proceded to wander aimlessly. :)

Had a bagel and banana, talked with some fellow BTers and a couple of friends from my past and then just waited. And Waited AND WAITED...
Event warmup:

Didn't do much. Figured that walking around for 5 hours was enough. :)
Swim
  • 09m 31s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very good swim for me. PR'd pool swim and for this race. I seeded myself in 5th of 5 people because I knew they were all faster. Had some water leakage in my goggles, but emptied that out and kept going. I was lapped by the front two people on lap 6, then tucked in and enjoyed the draft for the next 2 laps. (Wow, first time drafting and it was nice). Finished but was pretty tired. I knew I could catch them all on the bike. :)
What would you do differently?:

Get my goggles set early, swim more and take some lessons this winter. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This T1 is a long run from the pool. Most of my time was lost there. Also, I put on socks. I'll probably work on that, but it is what it is. I was pleased that things went pretty smooth. Really wasn't that bad compared to others.

Maybe learn to bike and run without socks. Definitely learn to transition with shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 36m 57s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I hadn't planned to ride this hard. I figured about 19-20 would be good. But while hanging out with a friend that I grew up with (literally from 2nd grade), he mentioned that 39 min would be 20 miles per hour (I know easy calculation, but I wasn't really focused on pushing it so I didn't even try to think numbers). After that I knew I had to do at least 20. I wanted to nail the run, so I didn't push too hard, but picked my spots on this course. I know this course pretty well, so I knew where I would push and where the little bits of time could be gained or lost.

Nothing. I haven't ridden that much this year and didn't really expect a 21. Very pleased. I need to remember to ride smart and hard not just hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This was a great T2. Julia was yelling at me to get going. I really appreciated that as I just kept going. Things were really smooth. Only 2 people were faster in my age group.

Not a thing... Well except figure out how to leave shoes on the bike and run.
Run
  • 24m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off very pumped and thinking "damn that was a fast transition". :) Kept chugging and found a rhythm very quickly. Didn't focus on my time much on the way out. At each water station, grabbed on cup to drink and one to cool off. :)

Got to the turn around and looked at my watch (13:20). I really wanted to nail this run (sub 26 for me), so I did the math and figured I would need to pick it up a little. I started feeling stronger and stronger as I ran. I was really passing people easily. Grabbed water at the last station took a sip and picked it up again. I didn't look at my watch again after the turn around, but knew I was doing well. Headed up the last hill and felt great. Sprinted to the line stopped my watch and saw 24:40 and was so thrilled. (Later seeing the official result of 24:33 really made my day.) New Run PR for a Tri...

Nothing except train more and lose weight. I know that if I lose some weight I could probably get in the lower 7 min/miles. That would be huge for me and would probably help my bike also.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some gatorade and waited for my friend to finish. Hung out with the BTer's and had a little food. Watched the awards and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough consistent training. This year has been very good for me personally, but my training has been sporadic at best. I've had good weeks and bad weeks, but I did get it done...

Event comments:

This was the first race I ever did 4 years ago. I really do like it, but wish it wasn't so late in the year. I am thrilled with this result and now am very motivated for next year (can I bottle this until January?) It was great to do well in all areas where I really didn't have many expectations.

I hung out with Matt, Jen, Zev, saw Chris, Julia, Scott and several other BTers. Got to hang with my friend from my youth and saw an old fraternity brother. So many people and familiar faces. It was awesome. Not sure if I'll do this race next year, as I want to focus on starting my season a little earlier (this year my first race was in July).

Special thanks goes to Julia who just got back from Europe and still was there cheering for everyone.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated.

Last updated: 2007-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:31 | 500 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/56
Overall: 38/535
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:57 | 13 miles | 21.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/56
Overall: 0/535
Wind: Little
Course: This is an out and back course with a couple of small hills and one steep but short hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:33 | 03 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/56
Overall: 0/535
Course: Out and back on cement trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-11 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Fall Frenzy Triathlon

2007-09-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: #959524

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Triathlon
Awesome race!  You had a great swim and you nailed your transitions and finished it off with run PR.  Great job.
2007-09-11 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Very solid performance! All around very consistent a true "TRI" race. Hope to meet you next time.
2007-09-13 9:20 PM

User image

Great job Dan.  You were solid across the Board - especially 21+ on the bike.  Riding smart and not hard is something I need to learn.  This is a fun race, hope you do it again next year.  
2007-09-13 11:16 PM

User image

Master
Denver
WOW!

Killer race Dan!! I am happy for you for putting together such a great race. Good to see you as always. Let's get together soon.
2007-09-17 10:30 PM

User image

Centennial
Hi Dan,

Great swim time. Hope to meet you at an upcoming race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Triathlon Rss Feed