Hebraica
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 12s
Overall Rank = 122/153
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/27
Pre-race routine:

MY FIRST TRIATHLON!

Got up at 5 a.m., ate a Power Bar, drank some papaya juice and headed out the door. Waved girlfriend goodbye; she was going to a MTB race.

Set up my stuff; really watched others set up their stuff first and then did my best imitation!

Was on third swim heat, so had time to watch the other racers and realize that I was probably the only one with over 20% body fat!
Event warmup:

Stretched quite a lot. Then jumped in the pool; we had only two minutes to warm up in the pool prior to start.
Swim
  • 21m 22s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Did not swim my fastest, but then again my fastest would only be about a minute less. Felt the pace was just right; being in the third wave allowed me to watch other races and I realized many seemed "hammered" just coming out of the pool. I definitely did not want to look or feel like that!
What would you do differently?:

Was a bit conservative since I had never done a tri before (actual race or training) so did not want to let my adrenaline take the front seat. Next tri I will most likely go a little faster. My SPL's were awful, even worse than in training; didn't really know why.
I took 50 seconds longer than expected, but do not regret the "ad-hoc" change in strategy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was surprisingly fast at transition, made sure to look back as soon as I left the pool and was glad to realize that I was not the last 30-34 male out of the pool; there were about 3 or 4 swimmers still in there.

Gotta learn that clipped in shoe technique; I've done it before to moderate success, but the start of the bike was short downhill right out of transition, so I didn't think it would be an "optimal" place to try it out.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 45s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.99 km/hr
Comments:

I beat my expected time by 5 min. and still felt I wasn't going too hard. Maintained good cadence and form and avoided trying to stand on the pedals too much, specially on those long climbs.

My gears suck; I could not ride with the biggest cog on the biggest chainring (something that a road bike should do) so had to do more shifting than usual. I have one of those triple chainring road bikes, which is great for training and getting home since I live in a steep mountainous area, but terrible for racing.

I managed to catch a few riders and avoided getting passed by anyone in my age group. Not that there were many behind me after the swim anyways. :)

Rode the last 200 m before the transition area in granny gear (small chainring); this part was very steep, and most people were either pushing hard on the bike or just walking/running with bike alongside.

I'm happy with the way I rode, drank and ate. This part of the race felt more natural for me.

I need to get aerobars, though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Didn't do the remove-shoes-while-on-bike-thing; need to practice that one too. But still had a relatively fast transition.

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 00m 16s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

Here's the section I had greatest concern over. A week earlier my Illiotibial Band had been acting up, after a few months of lengthy recovery. I was not even sure at the very beginning if I would run at all; had actually thought of doing just the bike and the swim. Had not run in over a week, just to see if I would "recover" for this race.

My tactic worked! I started slowly and ran the first 5k worrying about my injury. When I reached kilometer 5 (@ 36:00 min) and realized my leg felt fine, I decided to let loose. Did the last 5k at (24 min, which is pretty fast for my standards) and ended with a high note and NO PAIN.

In spite of my slow run split, I did not get passed by anyone from my age group---didn't pass anyone either.

The psychological side of being injured is almost as difficult as the physical side. I could not discern between "listening to my body" or "listening to my mind". I ran excessively conservative in the first 5k, trying to see how my knee reacted. But with injury recovery, I guess you can never just prematurely assume you are OK or over it. Your body has to prove it to you. Mine hasn't completely proven it to me yet, so my mind plays little tricks on me. Still I felt soooo good on the last 5K.
GOODBYE ITBS (I think).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got food, drinks and hugs. Enjoyed the atmosphere, enjoyed officially becoming a triathlete. Did lots of stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SWIM: need to improve technique, reduce SPL's
BIKE: need to lose weight again and regain fitness
RUN: same as bike, need to continue nursing my knees so this I can come back stronger.

Event comments:

The country's oldest and best triathlon! The competition level was excellent. Not many slow people, like me.

Though the highlight of my race was the experience of becoming a triathlete and also completing this race, I am a happy man because the icing on the cake was winning a DVD player at the raffle before the awards ceremony. Sweet!

Next tri: Olympic on 14 nov.

Félix

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:22 | 1000 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim in single lanes (one lane per swimmer) in large 50 m x 25 m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:45 | 40 kms | 27.99 km/hr
Age Group: 22/27
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: H.I.L.L.S. (Hard, Inclined, Long, Lots of them, Slowmedowns) I knew the course well, having trained there frequently and coming off a 12.5k foot race on the same course last weekend. Still these hills are killers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:16 | 10 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 21/27
Performance: Below average
Course: First Km was awful; after running downhill for 200 meters (same I had previously ridden up), we had to run the next 800 meters in a terrible hill. Felt slow and as if I was not moving, but I wasn't getting passed so I guess others were feeling it too. Next 4 k were long flat stretches and some climbs. The return part of the race (last 5k) was, therefore, mainly downhill and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-10-24 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Triatlón Hebraica 1K - 40K - 10 K

2004-10-25 9:15 PM
in reply to: #75742

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Triatlón Hebraica 1K - 40K - 10 K
Wow. Great race report. Way to kick it in at the end!
2004-10-27 6:08 AM

Sometimes, it's better be conservative and prevent injuries.
Congratulations!
2004-10-28 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Glad to see that your ITBS did not bother you during the race! Besides compared to the adventure races you do, this should have been a walk in the park, no?

-Frank
2004-10-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: #76738

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
No walk in the park for me, Frank!

Triathlons truly are tough. I've always admired triathletes because they "hammer" the whole time.

In expedition adventure races, I try to stay aerobic most of the time to endure the race properly. If I were to go at a sprint or oly triathlon pace or be anaerobic for extended periods of time, I would not last more than a few hours!

Needless to say, but in Venezuela, triathletes do really well in short adventure races, but seldom place (or even bother to enter) long adventure races.

I'm going through an athletic identity crisis at present. I love AR but still can't subject my ITB to the kind of punishment that AR racing and training requires. Yet, the triathlete in me just wants to continue improving and maybe do an IM.

Will I go back to adventure races once I am fully recovered from my ITBS? Yes. Will I stop doing triathlons then? NO WAY, I am hooked man (and have only done 1 tri).

Félix

Edited by dragoman 2004-10-28 9:59 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlón Hebraica 1K - 40K - 10 K Rss Feed