General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Akron, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 32s
Overall Rank = 85/144
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:45 to eat. Coffee, protein shake, yogurt and cheerios.

Checked the weather... Temp 38 F. Wow it was going to be cold, a lot colder than I expected. I had to prepare for possible gear change. Pulled a long sleeve T for the gear bag. I was wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt and thought that they might be a back up just in case. Rechecked air pressure due to the drop in temps. Loaded the bike on the car and was out the door at 6:30am. Reached the race at 6:45/7:00.

Got timing chip and set up transition area. Body marker volenteers were late so I got that done at about 7:45 right before the race started. It was an optional body mark race due to the fact most people would be wearing long sleeves. Went back to the car to wait and cranked the heat. Got out of the car close to race time and to listen to the pre-race meeting and prayer.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/2 mi. Just really cold and was preparing mentally not to freeze.
Swim
  • 26m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

First wave of the international distance swim started about 20-30min late. Water was way warmer then the air. It was really neat to watch the sprint guys do their swim. Seeded my self at the far left of the wave. I did not want to fight around the first bouy. Before the first left hand turn we ran into a bunch of weeds. It was pretty nasty. A couple of people from the Sprint talked about getting hung up and pretty freaked. It was the only section with weeds on the course. I found my pace/stroke after second left hand turn. Sited every 4-5 strokes. Except for the beginning I was not able to draft that much off people. I couldn't really find anyone and felt like I was by myself most of the time. Maybe I swung out to far. I know that I got passed by a group of people from the next wave on the end of the first and second second lap but I really wasn't effected by it.

Looked at the watch coming out of the water it was in the 25 range=smoking swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I did pretty well on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Took too much time again. I spent more time here deciding what to wear and mentally preparing for the cold hilly ride. Wish that I had shoe footies/warmers for the bike. Put on a long sleeve t hoping it would be enough.

I need to practice transitions from swimming to biking. I have always take a ton of time during this transition.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 55s
  • 22.82 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike computer was f'd. No speed, no cadence, no nothing. So I went off of my HRM and RPE. The hills were brutal as expected but I played the first loop conservative and then hit the course a little harder on the second.

My feet went numb about half way through the first loop. My legs were okay but cold. Upper body needed the extra protection provided by the t-shirt. Gel at 45 and 1 shot block every 20 after. I hydrated as much as I could but with it being cold I didn't want to drink cold fluids.

I sat in the saddle for most of the hills. A couple of times went to the third ring (lowest)... and spun up the rest of the hills.

I did not get passed by that many people but I felt like I was alone for a lot of the second loop. This is by far my weakest event in triathlon. I need to work on biking a lot more. I caught up with people on the hills and on the turns but the just could crank out a better pace on the flats.

I did really well when you look at my averages and I am proud about keeping my pace up without knowing cadence or speed.

Get some more TITS. Have a bike computer that didn't go on the fritz.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Transition was okay. Took the LS-T off because it was now in the low to mid 50s and okay to run with short/no seleves. I started to run out but forgot to take off my cycling gloves... DOH!

Not much... except remember to take off gloves.
Run
  • 49m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were numb. I could not feel the right foot until mile 1 and started to get feeling in the left at mile 1.5. The fact that I did not get feeling back at the same time made it worse.

I did not drink a drop on the run but didn't feel thirsty.

First 5k lap was around 25:30... which was at training pace. HR around the 160's. I picked it up at the 10k turn around and even more at the 5mi mark. Second lap was great and I felt strong. I looked down at my watch coming past the 5mi mark and saw that I was going to crush my goal of a below 3hr Oly. I was really happy to see all the training paying off. I did not have much left in the tank coming to the last .5 mi but kept my pace.

It was neat to hear the announcer call out my name as I was running to the finish. I crossed the line at 2:35 to my wife smiling and clapping and jumping around.

Other than not have numb feet... not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, ate my remaining shot blocks and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike and run speed. I am a good swimmer... I just need to find my fast.

Event comments:

HFP put on a good and cheap triathlon option across much of Ohio. No frills, no special food at the end, just a well put on race.

Last updated: 2007-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 67/144
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: 2 laps of a rectangle along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:55 | 22.82 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 84/144
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Lolly pop course. 2 laps. Shorter than the billed 40k
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:36 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 92/144
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops... through the park
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival

2007-09-18 9:53 AM
in reply to: #967876

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival

Great job blowing away your goal!  Congratulations!

That temperature sure does give us all a lot to talk about!  Smile  Nice job dealing with it and getting over your numb feet!

2007-09-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: #967876

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival

Congrats on a great race!  I hate your swim speed dammit!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Olympic Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival Rss Feed