United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 51m 53s
Overall Rank = 1093/3514
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 150/390
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45. Showered. Ate a Clif bar and downed a glass of hydralite. My sister and I were out the door at 6:40. Got to race 15 minutes prior to start. Posistioned myself in the 3:50 age group.
Run
  • 3h 51m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Did first mile in 10:20! YEEESH. OUCH! Sooo many runners. I knew my first mile would be slow, but not THAT slow. By mile five I had chipped my avg down to 9 minutes, even. At mile 6, the course took us over the Ambassador Bridge, and into Canada. Saw Gov. Jen Granholm with a small posse, at bridge enterance. Neat!

By mile 10, I had dropped avg down to 8:45. I felt good. Seeing the Detroit skyline from the Canada side in the early morning was a highlight. Met my Sister at the half-way point (1:55.08). My race goal had been 3:45, so I was right on target.

I continued to bang out the miles at good paces but I could tell that they were becoming more *forced* as opposed to natural. At mile 17, the course took us onto Belle Isle (a small island on the Detroit river). Right about now I started to labor...miles were definitely becoming *hard* and LONG. As we were about to cross the bridge back into Detroit I saw a guy literally "drop" from exhaustion. Several spectators and runners ran to help him...by the time I crested the bridge police and an ambulance had whizzed by.

What was neat about the course was once we exited off the bridge (THANK GOD) we had exactly a 10K left. At this point I was STILL right on pace for 3:45 finish. Then. Things started to fall apart. Not only did the miles seem forced, but aches emerged: Hamstrings, quads, calfs. I had hoped to be able to finish strong, and even though up till now I was tiring, I still felt I had an extra gear in me for a fast finish. BUT. Once the pains emerged...well. No extra gear.

I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't suck on a jollyrancher (I had to spit it out). Mile 21. Gosh. The impulse to walk began to hit me. Fellow runners were dropping left and right. Somehow, I mustered the energy and refused the OVERWHELMING urge to walk. Miles now seemed SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOONG. Sadly, my splits began to suffer. I'm not sure exactly what they were - as I was too busy trying to keep myself together at this point - but one mile was 9:15. At mile 22 beer was offered. I grabbed one, took a swallow and promptly spit it out again. GOD. The urge to walk was SOOO strong. I was becoming distraught. Not only was my goal time slipping away, but now I was struggling with just "finishing." This marathon was so much different from my Spring marathon where I took it out in two hours but finished hard (1:55).

More and more people were walking...I didn't feel the urge to cry, but I definitely was overcome by emotion as I soldiered on. The last .2 miles took us into Ford Field (home of the 4-2 Detroit Lions!). What SUCKED was we had run down a steep, clay incline (for which I skipped).

I crossed the finish line. NEVER had I felt so exhausted. I was disappointed in my time, but I was bouyed by the fact that I still PB'ed by 5 minutes, and I did finish without walking. I must've looked bad, since I was approached by several volunteers. All around me people were sprawled out on the turf; some were sitting, others, well...

I made my way up several flights of stairs out of the stadium bowl, but couldn't find my sister. I HAD to find her. Damn, I was in such a mess. Eventually I just "dropped" under a pillar and wrapped my tin foil cape around my body and tried not to pass out. Several kind people approached and asked if I needed help, etc.

After sitting maybe 20 minutes a fellow marathoner saw me trying to get up and offered his hand...I began looking for her again. Eventually I saw her outside the stadium. All marathoners upon finishing the race were funneled out of the stadium admist a HUNDREDS of spectators. So somehow when I exited the stadium she had missed me, and I her. I felt like salmon going up stream trying to get by all these people outside...Honestly, if I had saw earlier, I might HAVE cried. By now though, my body and mind had stablized.

What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Train harder? Take it out even faster?

Post race
Event comments:

The finish was sooo CRAZY. Finding people was near impossible.

Last updated: 2004-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:51:53 | 26.2 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/390
Overall: 0/3514
Performance: Good
Course: Had to cross the bridge into Canada at mile 6, I think. Came back across in the Windsor Tunnell - race bill's itself as the only marathon that goes under water. Note to organizer: running in a a grimy tunnell is not special. Another bridge at mile 17, which took us onto Belle Isle. Exited bridge at mile 20. Having a second bridge so late in the race I think was a downfall for many runners. Definitely sapped me. Besides two bridges, course was relatively flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-25 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: The Detroit Marathon

2004-10-25 2:32 PM
in reply to: #75903

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: The Detroit Marathon

Congrats Greg - great race.  Its hard to be disappointed with that time. You never know how the marathon's gonna affect you.  The fact that you hung in there and finished up is something to be proud of.

Great job!!!!

Gary

2004-10-25 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Hey Greg - that is wonderful!!! I know you wanted a few minutes shorter, but good god man, be proud of how you stayed with it! 

Thank you for writing in the emotion - it makes it so real.   YOU KEPT GOING and didn't listen to that evil voice telling you to walk or stop or breakdown.  That's going strong in my books Greg!

lol about your comment on running in the tunnel - maybe they'll add that to the brochure next year!

2004-10-25 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Hey Greg, great job regardless of the result. No one can predict what happens, you had a Personal Best Performance regardless.

Its the time that counts, its the struggles we overcame.
2004-10-25 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Thanks, all.

Gary, I TOTALLY get what you said in your marathon race report about persevering those last few miles and that being something that you were immensely proud of... Man. I've done my share of tri's and road races...but never before have I found myself forced to run on fumes for as long as this. Even when I did my spring marathon I only ran on fumes for, say, 2 miles. NOT 5 miles...

While I didn't go as fast as I wanted...I still consider the race a success.

Honestly, Sann, if I hadn't included emotion...well...then the report wouldn't have been an accurate description of the race. That last 10K and the finish ARE what made the race memorable.

Edited by fromer 2004-10-25 6:15 PM
2004-10-25 6:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-10-25 6:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
good job , greg, definitely starting slow is a good strategy. Im running the california international marathon in december and hoping for a sub 4 hour finish. Can you tell
me your 5k time, I just want to compare to build up my strategy for the race.
2004-10-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: #76014

Expert
Adrian, MI
Truthfully, Chris, I haven't run a 5K before (I've only been running for 3 yrs). I'm tentatively planning on doing 5K in a few weeks, though, and my goal is to avg sub 7 minute miles. I know for sure that I can do a 7:30 pace for a 5K. But we'll see.
2004-10-25 11:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
pinoy city
thanks for the info, my 5k time is 7.33 pace or 23.30 or so. Good luck on your 5k next week
hope you do the pace your aiming for or better. I found a website that plots the different paces for running distance that you do it is called mcmillan running, check it out
2004-10-26 10:19 AM

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Great job!!! I think your time was excellent.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Detroit Marathon Rss Feed