General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running and HR advice needed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-26 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Subject: Running and HR advice needed.
I am trying to work on a base over the winter to get ready to being IMKY training in April. I had a pretty good bike and swim base already, but running has always been a weaker spot for me. I am pretty tall (6'3") so that doesn't help. I don't think I am necessarily a bad runner by nature, I just dont have a lot of experience running. I have been doing 4 miles base runs and 6-7 mile long runs for the past few months. Something I am noticing even on my base runs of 4 miles is that my heart rate is steadily increasing about 5 bpm per mile while pace remains the same. I start out around 144 and end around 164. Im sure this is useful training data, and I assume it means I need more muscular endurance. Can anyone offer some advice on this. Should I do my base runs at a slower pace, should I do shorter base runs more often, or should I just keep doing what I am doing and expect the heart rate to level off after a few weeks/months?

2007-09-26 7:29 AM
in reply to: #979452

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-09-26 7:52 AM

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas
Subject: RE: Running and HR advice needed.
You need to run more, lots more.   Shoot for 20-25 miles per week for starters and go up from there.  If you get tired or sore run slower, otherwise run faster.
2007-09-26 8:05 AM

Here's a good article on base training you may want to check out.  Seems on the surface that if your HR is rising by this much over a few miles, you're not truly base training.  http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heart1.html

Also, a good way to get your LT: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/determinezones.html

2007-09-26 8:50 AM

Coach
Boston, MA
nhmorgan - 2007-09-26 7:23 AM I am trying to work on a base over the winter to get ready to being IMKY training in April. I had a pretty good bike and swim base already, but running has always been a weaker spot for me. I am pretty tall (6'3" so that doesn't help. I don't think I am necessarily a bad runner by nature, I just dont have a lot of experience running. I have been doing 4 miles base runs and 6-7 mile long runs for the past few months. Something I am noticing even on my base runs of 4 miles is that my heart rate is steadily increasing about 5 bpm per mile while pace remains the same. I start out around 144 and end around 164. Im sure this is useful training data, and I assume it means I need more muscular endurance. Can anyone offer some advice on this. Should I do my base runs at a slower pace, should I do shorter base runs more often, or should I just keep doing what I am doing and expect the heart rate to level off after a few weeks/months?
how do you gauge your pace, GPS? how is the weather like? do you fuel before running? what's the relation between HR and RPE?
2007-09-26 10:41 AM

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Today it was on a treadmill, so I know that pace was constant at around 9:12 per mile. I have done runs at 6-7 miles at around 8:12 and not felt much worse than this and not had a HR much higher (perhaps maxing out around 170 instead of low 160s), but I still get that gradual increase. My HR max is 195 running. I agree much more running is needed, and that is going to be my focus for most of the winter while trying to maintain where I am at on the bike and swim. I just trying to figure out the smart approach to getting the run built up. More volume/ less intensity, same volume/ less intensity etc. RPE seems to increase as the HR does, but nowhere near uncomfortable which I seem to get into around 170-180

Edited by nhmorgan 2007-09-26 10:51 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running and HR advice needed. Rss Feed