TNT productions
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 71/98
Pre-race routine:

Got up; had cereal & english muffin, some caffeine & drove to the venue.
Event warmup:

Not much really...walked/jogged a little then went to the start.
Swim
  • 31m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Potomac was a bit murky:)...not bad overall. Good start. Not too crowded & spaced out well. Entered from a floating dock...that part was a bit sketchy. Sighted well until I rounded the first buoy & the still rising sun was blinding. Current wasn't too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Breathing was good, my pace was good, & I think I sighted well. Not my fastest swim; but, the first one where I didn't have to stop to regroup for some issue.
Transition 1
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

I dilly dally around in transition. Should probably push it a bit more but I like to make sure I'm all set for the bike. I always have a bottle of water to make sure all the stuff I acquire between the swim exit & T1 (sand, grass, pebbles & what not) is off my feet before I put on my cycling shoes then I dry my feet, etc. There was a longer than what I'm used too run from the swim exit to T1 & my spot kind of blew.

Not much. Got some gu down & dried off my feet, put on my socks, & left.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride. I thought my pace was a little faster than what it was. My bike computer was on the "fritz" the whole time which threw me off...I thought I was going a little faster than I was. Oh well...still a pretty good bike for me.

I broke a major rule by doing something for the first time on race day. I grabbed a camel back & used that for fluids. I go to grad school in New Jersey during the week & go home on the weekends to the DC area. I left all my water bottles in DC & the stupid one they gave out race day wasn't going to be enough for me (I'm 260, sweat a lot, & drink a lot)...so when in the desert...use a camel back. I found it to be uncomfortable. A little silly when I think about it, but that, along w/ my bike computer malfunctioning, kind of threw me off.
Transition 2
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

I left my shoes double knotted from my previous run. Got some more gu in me, polished off my camel back, & took off.

Untied my shoes or do what I normally do & have the strap things.
Run
  • 56m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a while to get my feet under me. I had been sick the prior two weeks & missed a lot of workouts. Matter of fact, had you asked me a week ago today I would have told you know way I was going to do this tri...but it was a gorgeous day & I really wanted to do this one so I did it...anyhoo...I think missing a couple of my last bricks hurt me going from the bike to the run.

I took my time & paced myself right considering...so not much.
Post race
Warm down:

A two - three mile walk from the finish line to transition!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

sickness the prior two wks before the race

Event comments:

Sounds kind of negative as I review my comments; but, I pr'd this race. Considering I had been sick & still didn't feel top notch on race day I can't complain. The swim was my best as far as sighting, swim technique, & maintaining my composure (which I usually lose at least once). Not my fastest but I would argue my best overall from a mental & strategic standpoint. I would have liked to have done better on the bike; but, I found w/o my computer I focused a lot more intently on trying to maintain a smooth cadence. The run went well.

The race itself was pretty awesome. Went past the Lincoln Memorial, the capital, the Washington monument, etc. There were lots of spectators cheering us on. Volunteer support was tremendous & the cops/emt's were great as well. Logistically speaking this race has to be a nightmare. They did a pretty good job of disrupting DC Proper traffic. One result of that disruption was the advertised shuttle busses seemed to be non-existent. So my wife, my son, & I hiked it back to the transition from the finish line w/ many other participants. Parking was difficult too.

Normally, I'm a Clydesdale. Had I entered as a clydes I would have taken 2nd. I did the age group thing this time & I liked it. Got my rear end kicked; but, I liked starting much earlier than I would have if I had entered as a clydesdale.

This summer was a tough one for me. We moved from New Hampshire to DC & I started grad school after a ten year academic absence in Jersey. So my overall training was sporadic & I had been sick for two weeks. So I'm pretty happy w/ this one. Considering my other Oly this summer was more difficult I'm not surprised I pr'd it; but, considering my other challenges I am surprised & very happy. Sorry it's long winded; but, that's my style.

Last updated: 2007-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 55/98
Overall: 98/
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Instinct sleeveless
Course: down & back...upstream then down.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:21 | 24.85 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/98
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: As advertised...a fast & flat 2 looper. There was a portion on the potomac that had some good cross & head winds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:56:15 | 06.21 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/98
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 4:23 PM

Regular
maryland
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2007-10-01 7:30 PM
in reply to: #986229

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Congrats on the race and PR.  Just think if your shoes had been untied and you'd sped up that T1 what your time would have been
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed