KOZ Enterprises
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 52s
Overall Rank = 1214/1457
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 60/85
Pre-race routine:

First off, I want to thank all my BT friends I have met here. Everyone is so helpful and encouraging I love you all! I could not have done this well without the support of people here. For real, BT ROCKS! Also, the final time and rankings are offical, the split times are from my watch since I don't have official splits.

They say you learn a lot about your self in triathlon....Doing this race made me realize that I really am a Type A OCD prone person. I suspected as much, but after today it's confirmed. Examples below ;)

So transition opens at 5am, I get there at 4:45 am and it's me and about ten other cars in the lot. I think about how spoiled I am as a Californian, because and it's about 62 degrees out and I'm freezing cold and shivering. Put front tire on bike, pump up the tires, do a quick once over on it and start walking to transition. I find my rack and begin to lay out my stuff. I spent the previous evening planning and practicing my transitions and made a check list for myself so all is good. I decide to take my backpack back to my car. I go back to transition one more time to do a mental rehearsal and make sure everything is ok.

At this point there are now others at my rack, I was the only one when I had first arrived. One girl to my left (racking a MTB) says "wow, you're a PRO! Look at your area. You brought a towel, how smart of you"

I said to her "hardly! this is my first Tri ever! I just practiced transitions all last night in my hotel room"

She looked at me like *I* was the crazy one and said "really? you did that?"

"um, yeah...." Not wanting to say to her "OMG what ELSE would one do the night before their first race?!?

I then realized that while maybe I'm new to this, I might not be uh...normal. I signed up for this race exactly three months ago to the day and ever since then I have been reading anything and everything I could get my hands related to triathlon.

We chat some more and then I head out of the transition area. I have an hour to go so I walk around and try to stay warm. I start to worry about about my jacket and keys. Forgot to leave keys in transistion and I'll freeze without my jacket. I can't find my mom to hand them off to. Oh well, the last thing I need to be worried about at this point.

Event warmup:

Finally my wave is approaching, still no mom :( I leave my jacket with keys in the pocket over on a grassy area and hope for the best. I just can't worry about that right now. If someone takes my jacket Im in bad shape as my car and house keys are on there, the spares are in my house of course, 2 hours away. I should have left the damn keys in transition. I thought I'd see my mom. Eh, Im not gonna sweat it at this point. Triathletes are honest people right? ;)

I head down to the boat ramp and start lining up to get in the water. At this point Im really glad that I have done an OWS race and an aquathlon. I am in no way nervous about the swim. Im actually pretty calm and feeling good! It's in a protected bay and its as calm as a pool and there wont be anything scary like sharks in there. I am nervous about the bike so Im anxious to get in and out of the water! I overhear some girls in a panic, saying "omg Ive never swam in the ocean before! I've never worn this wetsuit before. What are we doing here. We're all crazy." That sort of talk.

I think to myself "OMG They commited the CARDINAL SIN! NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!"

How could you sign up for a tri and NOT swim in the ocean just once?! Never?! Just what exactly are people thinking? Again this is where I realize I am OCD and obsessive. Ask anyone who knows me, I am always two things. Over prepared and early to a fault. They are close to to me and I kinda say to the one girl, "don't worry! there are no waves. It's totally calm out there. Just pretend its a pool"

We keep chatting and I guess a couple of the girls rented their suits just for the race and picked them up the day before. Never swam in them. I kinda feel bad for them, esp since they're making me feel better about my training. I'm a terrible person and I'm going to hell, yes I know and accept this :D By now we've made our way waist deep into the water. I am feeling GREAT! I am SO READY! I swim out to the first buoy, tread water and start to get warmed up. Let's get this party started!

Swim
  • 11m 9s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time included a run up the beach to transition. I feel terrific about this swim! I normally wouldn't start towards the front since Im not the fastest swimmer. However I am very comfortable in water and I have no fear of open water. I could tell from the pre-start chatter most of the wave was terrified of the ocean, and for a lot of them it was their first OWS ever.

I knew there would be much commotion so I thought I'd start in front to the far right and go out fast to get some distance then settle into my normal pace. Worked pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great swim for me. In fact, I thought it was too easy. I love diving under waves, I like current. I enjoy challenging swim conditions and I LOVE to body surf. I found it kinda boring and short to be honest. However, I had a great (for me) time, so I'm not really complaining! Over the winter I plan to take some lessons and I think with some hard work I can see some good times soon.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

OMG! For all my practicing this was a terrible transition! I think it took me nearly 4 minutes. Both Ts are included in the bike splits. First off, my wetsuit got a bit stuck. Also, I have a terrible time running with my bike shoes. Speedplay cleats are NOT easy to walk in and I didn't want to trip. Also, I don't have tri bike shoes. I have ratchets.

Oh and gloves. the GLOVES! &^%^%^ Following the nothing new on race day edict I decided to wear my gloves. That took at least a minute to get gloves on wet hands. I agonized the night before weather or not to wear the gloves. I have never ridden w/o them and Im fearful of having my palms chewed up. Every time I say I'm going to do a test ride sans gloves I chicken out. So I decided gloves I will wear on race day, T1 time be damned. Also, I remembered all I had eaten was a cliff bar at 4am when i work up, so I sucked down 1/2 a vanilla GU.

Get tri bike shoes and possibly learn to do the shoes on the bike trick. Ride w/o gloves. It was 9 miles fer gawds sake!
Bike
  • 38m 28s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Wheee! The bike! oh how I love to ride my bike, I was so happy to be on her! I was worried about a hill at the very beginning. A freeway over pass. I'm such a wuss! Anyway not only did I easily make it up and over the hill, I PASSED 4 people going over the hill. Ok so they were on MTBs but still. I was afraid I was going to walk it up or something. Bike started shifting on it's own again however. Damn RD keeps acting up. Anyway, was a nice little course, got kinda crowded and were a lot of people weaving and not safe to pass in a few spots. I went a little conservatively around a few turns and coming back into transition. I did go out pretty hard in the areas where it was wide, like around the island. I felt really good, but was kinda worried about trashing my legs for the run. As I was pulling into the trans area I heard my mom cheer loud for me. YAY! She made it.

oh, drank 1/2 a water bottle with NUUN. I only filled it 1/2 way since I knew I wouldnt drink it all in 9 miles but wanted all the electrolyte goodies.

Nothing. Just need more bike experience.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Hmmm, mostly empty bike rack!? Woohoo, I beat them back to T2!!! Better transition this time. I said *&*() it and ran with the bike shoes. Didn't slip like I thought I might. Got my shoes, helmet and gloves off, put the running shoes on, sucked down the other 1/2 GU, grabbed my number and ran off. Pinned my number to me when I running out of transition.

Get a race belt and some quick tie thingies for my shoes. Trying my shoes took way too long. Also tri style bike shoes would help some.
Run
  • 36m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Im reallllly happy with this run! I can't believe I ran so fast! Ran out of transition and onto the path. I walked the aid station and took water and Accelerade which I had never drank before. OMG now *I* was breaking the nothing new on race day rule. I don't know why I did it, I was worried about cramps?! I was fine tho.

Walked the two big uphills and flew down them. When We got close to the end I sprinted hard, but started too soon. I almost didn't make it running all the way to the finish line. I was in some serious pain. But thats good. Every other time I've run a race, afterwards I've thought "damn, I feel good. Too good. That means I could have gone FASTER!"

Not this time, I left it all out there. I thought I was going to die if I went any harder.

There was one girl in my AG that I had passed and she ended up passing me back on the uphill when I walked it. I tried to hard to pass her again on the run to the finish line. I didn't and I was really upset over that. Next time :)

Lose more weight! Run faster! Not walk up the hills! Still, this is a 5k PR by almost a minute. w00t
Post race
Warm down:

I hurt! I couldnt stop moving I was fearful I'd fall over. My first thought was "KEY!" walked quickly over to where I left my jacket and of course it was still there. Walked back to the expo and tried to look for my mom. No mom :( Ate a muffin and about two bites of a bagel. Drank some water. Walked some more. Cheered on racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness! That will get better with time. I still can't believe I went as fast as I did over all. In july I signed up for this thing and thought, "wow, I hope I can finish in under 2 hours. maybe I wont be last?"

A week ago when I sat down and calculated how long it might take me I thought "I think I can do this in under 1:45:00"

my time?!?! 1:31:52

I'm beyond thrilled.

Event comments:

For my first tri Im super pleased :D I can't stop smiling.

Last updated: 2007-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:09 | 547 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/85
Overall: 756/1457
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto Speed Tube Pants and tri top
Course: We started at the first buoy, straight across the bay then left around the final buoy and up a boat ramp. They couldn't have made it easier. No sighting needed.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:28 | 10.4 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Overall: 1093/1457
I think the bike course was long. My bike computer says 10.4 miles and average speed of 16.2 mph. I like those numbers a lot better!
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the beach, thru Sea World around Fiesta Island and back again.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:43 | 03.11 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 1358/1457
Mile 1-11:00 Mile 2-13:00 that was the two hills that I walked Mile 3-12:44 includes the .1 of course
Course: Around the beach. Mix of concrete, asphalt and dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-01 10:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-10-01 10:57 PM
in reply to: #986774

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Subject: RE: Mission Bay
I would be one of the girls you were talking to that had not done an open water swim before the race.
2007-10-01 10:59 PM

2007-10-01 11:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Not too bad. My goggles popped as I stepped into the water, I floated on my back to the start area while I was trying to reassemble them. Rigged them so they would stay on. The swim took about 13.30 which was 1.30 over my pool time. In July I could not even swim 50m in the pool. I did look at my watch once to see how long I had been swimmng, so I knew how much longer I had to go.

2007-10-01 11:13 PM

Edited by mixie 2007-10-01 11:15 PM
2007-10-02 12:19 AM

Great job mixie!

I was another person who hadn't done an OWS. I made it through even though I basically treaded water for 550m! Water has always been my big fear. I was literally shaking all over before the swim started and my husband was one of the swim buddies so he was even with me. It was a huge deal that I even did it but I seriously gave up a 10-20 minute head start. I can only get better though, right?

I have my race report saved as a draft, I'm going to post it when the splits are up.

Edited by stacylambert 2007-10-02 12:20 AM

2007-10-02 8:50 AM

Congratulations on an awesome race! All your hard work and preparation really paid off triathlete!
2007-10-02 10:06 AM

Santa Barbara, CA
great job! Esp. on the run, now you know what you can do! I wish I was as fast as you on the swim, I zig-zagged all over the place and didn't leave the water till almost 14min had gone by.

2007-10-02 10:09 AM

2007-10-03 9:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
AWESOME job, especially on the swim!!! You rocked that race.
2007-10-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: #989365

Corona, CA
Great race Mixie! Congratulations!

2007-10-03 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego

Great race and you are a good story teller, you made me LOL a few times.
2007-10-03 4:28 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
Good job...and great RR--thanks for sharing! Congrats, TRIATHLETE!

Oh, and btw: You aren't OCD...you're just disciplined and prepared!
2007-10-04 11:41 PM
in reply to: #990390

Pro
Irvine, California
Grats on finishing your first tri, and *your* PR on the run too!  You really rocked it.
2007-10-08 7:25 PM

Expert
Mixie! Congratulations! Awesome job. Great RR....I think you did everything quite well. It's your first one so of course you spend extra time checking and doing things to make sure it's right! Great job and I look forward to reading about your next adventures!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mission Bay Rss Feed