General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dynamic stretching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-10 1:55 PM

Subject: Dynamic stretching
Can anybody help me understand the difference between dynamic and static stretching and how to incorporate it into a workout regimen?

2007-10-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1001147

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Dynamic stretching
I have never heard of it, but I imagine static stretching is what most of us think of stretching as... trying to grab our toes, putting a leg up on a bar... etc. I imagine dynamic stretching is more like doing butt-kicks when you run to stretch your quads?

Maybe someone else knows?
2007-10-10 3:56 PM

User image

Runner

Alright, I'm gonna give this a shot here....

Static stretches are the ones we're used to seeing, i.e. bend over touch your toes and hold for a given timeframe.

Dynamic stretching or dynamic warm-up is where you incorporate ongoing movement.  I did something like this in physical therapy, and in the Army.

We had a series of warm-up exercises that we performed.  I've done butt-kicks (short steps and touch your butt with your heel), Frankensteins (put your hands out in front of you, and touch opposite foot to hand), lunges, closing the gate (raise your leg so the thigh is parallel with the floor and out to your side, bring it in front of you, and lower it to the ground), and some others.

Dynamic warm-ups do work, and I have seen some mention that they could have some positive impact on certain activities (not necessarily endurance sports). 

2007-10-10 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
I do dynamic stretching as a warm-up to some of my strength exercises. Your whole body gets warmed up fairly quickly so that there is less chance for injury. The PP is correct, it is going through motions rather than just holding a stretch.
2007-10-10 8:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_...

PNF is my favorite. I was first introduced to it while seeing a PMR (Physical medicine & rehab) doc at the age of about 25 for persistant back pain.

After a SINGLE session of PNF stretching of my hip flexors, my pain was 100% gone for 2 weeks. Typically a PNF session done with a knowledgible practitioner can the be followed by your normla stretchign routine to maintian the lengthening that was obtained, at least that is my experience.

I had a massage therapist try to assist me with PNF stretching once, and it wasn't so good...it's a very subtle tension/relaxation relationship while isolating the involved tendons & muscles.

Typically I do a light warmup of easy walking jogging, follwed by a dynamic warmup as described previously, do the workout, then finish with PNF stretching aided by bands or towels.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dynamic stretching Rss Feed