United States
Boger Scholarship Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 20s
Overall Rank = 44/505
Age Group = 14-19
Age Group Rank = 5/250
Pre-race routine:

I hadn’t planned to well for this race because the day before I ate plenty of gummy bears for lunch and my dinner consisted of tacos and chocolate cake. When I finally got there I wanted to compete and run well.
Event warmup:

I got there at around 8:00 for a 9:00 start time and met up with a bunch of friends from school. Only one of them was running (most others were walking) so I decided to prepare with him. We did some short sprints to stretch out because it was cold, cold, cold. Stretched out plenty and had a banana.
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out strong on the run and felt good until about two minutes in when I turned right and saw a HUGE hill that we had to run up. I decided I could make up a lot of time if I sprinted up the hill and took it easy going down the hill the second time. I passed about 25 people heading up the hill and left my running partner in the dust (not totally).

We weaved through a neighborhood and back onto a path through the woods. I followed a pretty quick girl for most of the first mile. I timed myself at 7:15, which I was a little disappointed at because I wanted to go out in 7:00. I picked up the tempo the second mile as we weaved through the forested path. I kept passing kids from my school who had obviously burned themselves out on the first 1.5 miles. They cheered me on as I passed by.

At mile 2 I timed myself at about 15:30 so I was very happy with my second mile and figured if I kept from cramping I would be able to finish under my goal time of 24:00. The only aid station was at the second mile. The cups of water were small and I decided to run through the station even though I usually don’t. The cup slipped out of my hand and I didn’t feel like getting any water so I pushed on without the water.

We left the neighborhood about 2.3 miles in and headed down that huge hill I sprinted up earlier. I felt good so I figured I would sprint down the hill. About halfway down my running partner caught up to me after almost 2 miles. He ended up finishing 5 seconds ahead of me. With less than a half mile left my mom and dog were there to cheer me on and that was a good boost that took me to the finish.

I always sprint to the finish regardless of the amount of energy I have left and this time I passed two people on the sprint to move up to 44th overall. I was very happy with my end time of approx. 23:13. I felt like I was going to puke initially, but I shoved a pretzel and a banana down my throat and I ended up feeling fine.

What would you do differently?:

Better nutrition - but it didn't haunt me whatsoever.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to a couple teahcers that ran the race and headed home at about 10:00.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather most likely.

Event comments:

The race is for a great cause after the tragic death of one of our student-athletes. Really great community event and a nice race a week after a triathlon to keep active. The results have not been posted yet, but there's the link to the site. http://brandonsrun.com/

Last updated: 2007-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/250
Overall: 44/505
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly, through neighborhoods and then back to the finish in a semiloop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes