Jamestown Rotary Club,
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 50m 17s
Overall Rank = 6/47
Age Group = Cat 5 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early (7:30 for a 9:00AM race). Sweated over parking in a bank knowing they would be closed, but could still tow. Gave my wife and daughter some $$$ for trinkets and changed into my kit. Went to registration and hung around inside for a while to keep warm and dry.
Event warmup:

Did some quick openers and rode up and down the frontage street a bit
Bike
  • 50m 17s
  • 19.1 miles
  • 22.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The day began with light drizzle, fog and mist. The rain came in waves; clear for 10 min then a brief shower. It let up just at the start and we're off. I'm holding with the group for about the first 5 miles and I realilze I don't have the luxury of time. The entire race is 19 miles. I start working my way up the group to the front and do so on the left of the group (closest to the yellow line). I'm nervous since I need to cross it occasionally, but am careful of the paint. The sun comes out; it rains again; inconsistient. About 10 miles in, I'm in the lead 8 riders where I want to be. Coming down to the beach head which splits the island into 2 logical parts, I'm pulling the field and out in front. Out to Beavertail light, the road goes up and I get dropped back; hard dropped. I work like a dog to get back at the lighthouse and barely reach my lead group of riders. After we round the light house with ~2miles to go, it happens again; they take off and drop me. Now it's a time trial to get home. I drop my head and push with whatever is left; HR must be >175bpm at this point and I can barely breathe. I pick up 2-3 stragglers who also were dropped from the group. On the descent I see 1 last placing to grab and I sprint with everything and cross with him! By the eventual results, I got him!!
What would you do differently?:

Not get dropped on those longish rises. Learn how to maintain speed on these climbs.
Post race
Warm down:

Find my wife and daughter and collect my hugs

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm stoked with 6th overall! For some reason, I race really well here. It's a true road race course and not a crit, so I think it lends well to my power strength instead of my poorer technical skills.

Event comments:

Great venue and a good excuse to take Columbus day off

Last updated: 2007-10-16 12:00 AM
Biking
00:50:17 | 19.1 miles | 22.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 6/47
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A long oval course with some rolling hills, exposed sections and long stretches of open road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-16 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Jamestown Classic

2007-11-12 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1010716

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Jamestown Classic

Look at you! You did Jamestown and I only just realized you'd been putting up race reports.

Nice placing too! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamestown Classic Rss Feed