United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 54s
Overall Rank = 97/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Race was at 2pm, so I ate a good breakfast (2 scrambled eggs, bagel, coffee) and then an early lunch (PB on WW bread, yogurt, banana) and drank lots of water. Left the house around 12:15pm for the hour trip north. Drank Vitaminwater and plain water en route.
Event warmup:

Picked up our stuff and stretched a bit. Not enough time for much else.
Run
  • 27m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, it was really warm. And a beautifully clear, sunny day, and the course had very few shaded sections. Started out at a good pace, just kinda feeling it out to see how the knee and ITB would survive. Little sore during the first mile, but my attention was soon turned to trying to keep cool. Hit the first mile in 8:42, second mile in 9:16, third mile in 9:06, last tenth :50. Despite the water I had been drinking all day, I started to feel really dry and dehydrated 1/4 of the way into the run. Stopped and walked to down the whole cup of water at the only water station (at the halfway point), but then felt dry and started to feel nauseous from the heat past that. Just kept plugging along, though, determined to finish. Seeing my grandmother's name on the back of the race t-shirts some of the runners and walkers wore helped keep me moving forward. Was disappointed but not surprised (given my ITB/knee pain and lack of running this past week and, more importantly, the heat) to see my time.
What would you do differently?:

Well...if it hadn't been for the fact that this race was for my late grandmother's church (in which she had been VERY involved), I wouldn't have run it or any other race this weekend due to the knee and ITB pain I've been having. Probably should've just run it slower as a fun run, but the race atmosphere always gets the better of me. So, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the shade drinking water to cool off and let my heart rate drop a bit, then walked around and ate a banana and apple and drank more water. Stretched a bit. Stuck around to see how we placed - 3rd in my age group but they only gave awards to the top 2 in each age group and I missed 2nd by only 1 or 2 seconds! Oh well. The true prize was just being out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid knee and abnormally warm temperatures for Oct 21!

Event comments:

Very nice race. This is one I'd like to run every year in my grandmother's memory, but I'm not sure we'll be living close enough next year.

Last updated: 2007-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:54 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 97/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops of neighborhood streets; nice flat sections but also a nice downhill and then a challenging short uphill section near the end of the loop
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: St. James 5K

2007-10-21 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1017753

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: St. James 5K

awesome Job!!!! sub 9 minute miles

2007-10-21 9:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2007-10-21 9:03 PM
2007-10-22 8:45 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

What a great way to honor your Grandma!

You will get that PR this season, just take care of your knee! Your pace is still great!

2007-10-22 10:12 AM

Veteran

that is so cool!  doing a race in memory of your Gram.  that must have been a great feeling to lace up those shoes.

Wish I had known the race was at 2PM, Karen and i were out leaf peeping (5 hours of driving) so we could have ended up at the race site.

we'll have to plan things in advance next time you venture into NY.

I knew it would be hard to PR with your leg problem of late, but I'm just very pleased that you were able to finish in a race that meant so much to you.

Outstanding. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. James 5K Rss Feed