Lincoln Track Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 47s
Overall Rank = 87/294
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived 90 min. before race time, got a sweet parking spot [15 feet from the starting line]. Went back to the car and put on our chips and bibs, then walked around inside the capitol building for a little while and looked at the display of "America's Top 150" - the top 150 architectural favorite places in the US.
Event warmup:

With about 25 min before race time I ran for about 7 or 8 minutes, stretched a little bit and then went to the car to drop off 2 of my 3 top layers and then 1 of my 3 bottom layers.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Stayed steady until things thinned out a little bit, then kept a strong pace. This lady started talking to me so I chatted with her after the first mile until about mile 2.5. She was sucking wind pretty hard as I was ready to kick it up another notch so we bid adieu and I put it into overdrive to carry myself home. Mile 1 was 8:16, mile 2 [conversation mile] was 8:44, and the last 1.1 was 8:47.
What would you do differently?:

If I was really concerned with how I raced I might have just smiled at the lady and not humored her with conversation, but since I haven't been running a great deal I figured why not.

Maybe a little bit more pre-race hydration and/or a pre-race gel.
Post race
Warm down:

Standing around talking Jeremy_424 and his wife's ears off while their baby was all cozied up in her cocoon! Waited around for Brynn to get done with her 15-K. I figured it was the least I could do since she waited around during my 5-1/2 hour marathon :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I probably could go faster if I trained harder, and more specifically for this distance. If I don't count Friday then the last time I did a hard paced run would be that Wednesday night out here when I did 5.5 mi. in 51 min. I'm not really concerned with performing faster, though, because I'm very proud of my performance today. I wanted to beat 27 min and I did.

Event comments:

Bananas, oranges, water, Pepsi & diet. Post-race refreshments were adequate. Kinda chilly day, especially with the awesome weather we had yesterday. Might do this one again next year simply due to the fact that the registration fee is so cheap!

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:47 | 03.11 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 87/294
Performance: Good
Course: 14th & H, North around the capitol building block, then South on 16th down to some street, through the drive-up bank carport, then up on 17th back the way we came.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 11:02 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: ARTF/X Governor's Cup

2007-10-22 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1018027

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: ARTF/X Governor's Cup
Good race Brian. I think you and your wife shold come down to Beatrice for the Turkey Trot. I'm pretty sure you could smoke Jeff in a 5-miler. Stay safe and keep training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ARTF/X Governor's Cup Rss Feed