General Discussion Race Reports! » Angel Island Trail Run - Fall - 25K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Angel Island Trail Run - Fall - 25K - Run25k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tiburon, California
United States
Pacific Coast Trail Runs
Total Time = 2h 32m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed over at DC's place for the night so we can get an early jump to get to Tiburon. Before jumping on the ferry to Angel Island I had to pee. The public restrooms were lined up so I went to the coffee shop to pee. I bought 2 Vitamin Waters since their restrooms were for patrons only.

On the ferry I decide to chug down a Vitamin Water because a) What the heck, I had it, and b) I thought it would be a good idea. I will pay for this brilliance later.
Event warmup:

It was damn cold but I had 25km to warm up... so I just stretched out my muscles and psyched myself up to run farther than I ever had for many years.
Run
  • 2h 32m 59s
  • 15.93 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I stood at the start line with DC, mostly near the front. My thought was to pace with him for at least the first loop. The race basically starts with the stair climb. This is not good for cold muscles. Next time I will warm up before the race just so I can make the stair climb comfortably. And the pre-race Vitamin Water chugging killed me. I think the ol' insulin kicked in because I had no energy for about the first 3 miles. So DC slowly pulled away after the stairs even though he was doing the 50K!

On the latter part of the first loop I met up with an older guy named Bill, nice guy. We ran together for the balance of the first loop and the 2nd loop at a comfortable pace, chatting it up. I tried to pick up the pace but I noticed he would do the same as well, so I just stayed back and kept chatting. There was a gal with a Luna Bar jersey as well running near us... she was the pace booty.

After the 2nd loop, Bill stopped at the restroom so I took off. I decided to push it on the 3rd loop and leave everything on the course. I saw DC coming down the hill as I approached the summit. Beautiful views 360 degrees, wow. On the downhill, I saw Jessiwa and later Bill and Luna girl. My calves started cramping about 2 miles from the finish so I tried plodding more and not extending. I was not going to stop.

I took a wrong turn somewhere near the end, which really bugged me. So I'm using the distance from my Garmin for my RR.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will warmup before the race in order to make the stair climb. Also no Vitamin Water so close to race time.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank lots of water and recovery mix to recharge. I ate from the buffet of snacks and a bowl of chili. And stretched alot.

I ran with DC for his 6th and final loop (the summit loop). I was trying to pace him, but really DC was pacing me. I was struggling to keep up! After this loop I should've done a better job re-stretching and hydrating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Given that I hadn't run 50K in recent history, I didn't have much idea how to pace for it. Next time I would know the course so could pace better uphill and down. And warmup would help with a faster first loop. But no complaints really.

Event comments:

One drink station, so basically every 5-6 miles since each loop comes around to the station. Everyone was advised to carry their own water. I wish they had more people marking the trail but all the volunteers were manning the finish line and aid station.

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:32:59 | 15.93 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Three loops. First is perimeter, which is mostly paved. Second is kinda the middle of the island, and the third is the summit loop to the peak. Very beautiful views of SF and all around, too bad I wasn't standing around to appreciate it all. BTW all loops start with a big stair climb... who's sick idea was that anyway? But overall this is a pretty fast course. For all the uphill, there seems to be even more mileage as flats and downhills. So long as you don't toast your legs on the uphills, you can fly down the hills with reckless abandon.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No