United States
GOALS ARA
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female - 3
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Up early, prepare gear, oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, pack gear in car. Met up with other members of ARMD (Adventure Racing Maryland) at the park and ride (my teammates and another ARMD team). Drove to the race site (about 2 1/2 hours away) with Sara and Jess.
Event warmup:

Trying to understand and memorize as much of the map and where all the checkpoints were for each of the courses (run, bike, and canoe). Talking strategy with Sara (our navigator) and Sean (who had done this race in the past and who knew the quickest way to get through the course). Getting gear ready and deciding who was taking what required gear and which individual required gear needed to be where and during which events. Reading the rules over and over to make sure we didn't miss anything. Going to the meeting and making sure all of our routes were still going to work based on additional constraints.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some food, waited for Kathy, Sean, and Jason to finish. They had finished the course in less than 4 hours so they were able to do an additional running orienteering course for some extra points. Turned out they made an error in judgement on one of the points which if they had gotten it they would have come in 2nd but since they got some other closer points they ended up placing 4th overall. They still kicked butt - they were competing against some realy tough teams. They were bummed though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Canoeing, we need stronger boating skills, stronger arms.

We were the only all female team to finish the course within the 6 hours and we had 45 minutes to spare! So I think we did exceptionally well especially since this was our first adventure race. Sara was an amazing navigator and Jess could spot those checkpoints from miles away! It was so much fun doing a race as part of a team. I like it a lot better than racing on my own. I hope to fit in one more race with them before I move to Colorado.

Event comments:

This was a ton of fun. I really wish I could do these types of races more often. This is totally my thing. I loved every minute of it. Requires strategy, teamwork, mental work, physical strength and endurance. What a challenge. I can't wait for the next one.

Full race report on my blog...for some reason this form isn't showing all the details that I entered.
http://thetriinglizard.blogspot.com/

Last updated: 2007-10-23 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes