FORT WAYNE TRACK CLUB
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 41m 15s
Overall Rank = 37/427
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/32
Pre-race routine:

coffee, oatmeal, relaxed with the paper, took a dump (don't laugh, we all know that's one of the most important prerace activities)
Event warmup:

Light stretching. Its a cool morning, kept wrapped up until 5 min before race time.
Run
  • 41m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out way too fast - 6:00 pace first mile - yikes! I did not feel that fast - I wanted to maintain a 6:45-6:30 first mile - that I will have to work on. Then, once thigs settled it went ok. Mile 4-5 got a little tough but then when I knew I was in the last mile I picked it up to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Pace, pace, pace. In training I was running a 6:40-6:30 mile pace over 6 miles so this finish was in line with that, I just wish I had a little more gas at the finish. Last year I did, but that was a 44:44 time vs. this year's 41:15. I was targeting 41:00-42:00.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the cold drizzle waiting for the results and my gear was a 1/2 mile away, that's my only gripe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hit my goal so no complaints. I may have gone faster but some of the streets were redbrick with wet leaves/puddles that were very slick. Some parts of the course were over wooden deck bridges so those were slick too. My over-exhuberance in the first mile was not good either.

Event comments:

This is a small home-town race, my only comment is that it is not wise to let a bunch of sweaty athletes stand around for almost an hour waiting for the results and door prizes in the cold drizzle. Other than that, its a great Fort Wayne tradition that I will keep running it.

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:15 | 06.21 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 37/427
Performance: Good
Course: All over fort wayne, started downtown and headed north east then back across rivers twice to downtime through headwaters park. Then loop back around to the old fort and the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes