View Member's Race Log
Douglasville, Georgia
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It was cold and windy! Waiting for the race to start was a bit chilly. My friend and I cheered on the 1 milers, some of those kids were flying!
Event warmup:

No real warmup.
Run
  • 41m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Not the pace I had hoped to sustain. It was definitely a race-level effort. I wasn't dogging it, my HR data shows that. Just not as fast as I had hoped. On the upside, I ran the whole thing, which was the major goal I was looking to accomplish.

Relieved to see that the course started off level, and then headed on a moderate downhill. The hill back up on the backside of the loop was a lower grade than the one we'd run down. Some confusion on the signs. I passed the "2 mile" mark at 10 minutes and was pleased because I'd thought I'd just cleared the 1 mile (therefore 2.1 to go) at my target pace. Alas, just down the road, at 13 minutes, I hit the actual 1 mile marker. Just kept going. At my pace, I was in a group of run-walkers and pretty much stayed with them the rest of the race.

Once I got on the backside of the course close to the start line, I was getting excited. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would at that level of effort. Then I heard the organizer with the bullhorn "Finishers to the left, 2nd lap to the right." 2nd lap? You mean I have to do that hill again?!? Curved to the right and discovered that they at least had one aid station, did the run-through of the station, and almost bit it when someone stopped dead in front of me to drink. Tried not to choke on the water and kept moving. Just about everyone else around me was walking. Peer pressure sucks, but I kept running. Did a mental check of status. Breathing - wheezy, but not dying yet; calves - tingly from exertion, but not shutting down yet; hip flexors - definitely there and letting me know, but not shearing in two. Definitely okay to keep going.

The backside of the course the second time really hurt on the uphill. Superman (in costume) cheered me on. I told him "I knew I always liked Superman better than Batman!" as I passed. Another physical check. Everything hurts. Great. Look at my watch. Pride hurts too... this is really close to my last PR (when I walked two of the miles). Passed the planned rendezvous spot for me and my buddy. She cheered me on. I shouted back "I suck! I suck" and sped up some more. Finally the finish line was in sight. I saw the clock running and it was 45 seconds under that other PR. So I kicked and kicked hard. Cleared the finish line about half a minute faster than the last time. Got my number checked out at the end of the chute, then put my hands on my head to stretch out the side-stitches and walked back to where my friend was. OW!

The day after - Yeah... I haven't gone anaerobic in awhile. I hurt from the waist down and most of my core hurts too. But it's a good hurt. And despite my time, I'm proud that I could slog it out anaerobically for a little over 40 minutes. I was out of my aerobic zone when I crossed the start line! Waiting for official results and the finishing pic. They should be up tomorrow.
What would you do differently?:

- My mouth was cotton-dry for most of the run. I wish I'd had a water bottle, I would have been much more comfortable.
- Scout the course (or at least obtain a course map) before hand. I'd mistakenly assumed a flat course.

Post race
Warm down:

walking around, a bit of stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aerobic capacity
Training
Dehydration

Event comments:

The organizers put on a good race. There were around 1000 runners, which is a pretty amazing turnout for a small town 5k. I wish there had been another water station at the half-way point on the loop. Overall a good experience and I'd like to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-10-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:25 | 03.11 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 196 Highest heart rate that I noted was 206
Course: Start in front of the conference center, down hill to Hwy 5, Right around Hudson's to Bankhead Hwy,large uphill running past downtown and Gumbeaux's, then past the Chevron, back on Church St, then a second lap that excluded the large hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No