Japan
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bus ride down to Tokyo. Ate standard cereal for breakfast and 1/2 powerbar prior to race. Should have drank something but in the long run it really didn't affect my performance.
Event warmup:

Walk from bus to registration back to bus and back to race start (I think we parked in another city..or so it seemed). Arrived 3 minutes prior to start. No warmup, no stretching, no biggie.
Run
  • 4h 10m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew going into this one that it'd be simply a training run. After Singapore's Aviva 70.3 I broke down and went to see the doc about my foot. Apparently I've had Planter Faciitis for years and it's caused a bone spur on my left heel. Doctor's orders were simple...stay off it! Ok, so I don't follow orders to a T but I have minimized my running since. The goal was to cover the distance and test the foot. Goal accomplished.

Had a few friends that were running the 1/2 Marathon so I tagged along with them for company and pacing sake as I knew it would help to slow my pace (key for covering this distance in my current running state). Perfect choice as I came in 13.1 at 2:06 and felt great. Unfortunately it was downhill (only figuratively after that)...

The bone spur I felt from step one (nothing to be done about that). The PF really didn't bother me until about mile 15 when it reared it's ugly head in spades. I felt like it was tearing badly again so I was forced to alter my stride considerably. This worked fairly well pain-wise but an altered stride will only hold up for so long and at mile 23 my hip flexors asked me "who are you and what are you doing to us?" At that point I wasn't sure of the answer myself.

The rest of the race was "hold it together and finish".

What would you do differently?:

Get a replacement foot. I mean with today's medical technology and all... Right?
Post race
Warm down:

Walk back to the bus which was parked a good mile or so away. We stopped an an onsen on the way back (Japanese bathhouse). Did some swapping between the hot and cold baths. Also did a good amount of stretching for my PF on the return ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PF, bone spur and lack of run volume of late. I'll still take it.

Event comments:

Ok. So this race was small. Very small. Most races out here in Japan are very well attended. Huge even. I expected this to be the same, yet... If there were 100 people that ran the full I'd be surprised. Shocked even.

On our 5k loop there was one water station. One! No food, only water. No gatorade, only water. No soda, only water. Did I say there was only water? Someone didn't bring a fuel belt today or any Gu or anything more than a single PowerBar. Poor choice.

Last updated: 2007-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:10:00 | 26.2 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 144
Course: 8 5K loops around the Imperial Palace followed by and out and back to tidy up the distance. Most of loop run on public sidewalks. Interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-11-04 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Imperial Palace Marathon

2007-11-04 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1037362

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Imperial Palace Marathon

Wow, what an incredible run ... doing a marathon even as a training race, injured, is no picnic (I know!!!) Great job! I'll bet it was kind of strange it was so small, the Japanese are pretty fanatic about running.

Hope everything heals up nicely and happy training during the challenge!

2007-11-04 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Good to see that you made it to the end even though you were suffering. I like the palace loop and have done a few 10K races there. Also used to do lots of running there when I lived about 2.5K away. It is the best loop in Tokyo especially on Sundays when the car traffic is lighter.
2007-11-05 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
What a great race. It rare to find a marathon that small! You did awesome. Now take care of those feet!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Imperial Palace Marathon Rss Feed