General Discussion Race Reports! » Harrisburg Select Medical Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harrisburg Select Medical Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
United States
Harrisburg Area Road Runners Club
40sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 12m 26s
Overall Rank = 392/729
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 54/79
Pre-race routine:

Try and staty warm. It was really cold. 28 degrees by my cars thermometer shortly before I arrived. Tried to take in good nutrition and hydrate fully. I felt ready to go at the start.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 4h 12m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good going into this. I really didn't plan on doing a fall marathon but my running partner talked me into it. So early Sept. I started to run longer again (really hadn't since IMLP in July) So I wont try and make excuses. My goal was a sub 4 marathon and I didn't come prepared to do it.
What would you do differently?:

More, faster training and prep. i also would get one of these for 3:55. I really can't calculate splits well and this would have helped me with pacing.
http://pacetat.com/order.htm
Post race
Warm down:

I was ravenous, I went to the food area and gobbled down easily 1000 calories in the most perfect form known to man. 3 doughnuts and 1 bagel along with Dunkin Donuts coffee! The doughnuts were 2 cream filled, one with chocolate on top and the other powdered. The other one was just a regular chocolate covered. MMMMMM! Did I mention the doughnuts?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME! And nutrition. Live and learn...Next time!

Event comments:

The course used Cytomax products, I have never used them but I figured how different can they be? I brought some gel's that I attached to my race belt and I used one of my normal 24 oz bottles to run with filed with a 50% solution of Gatorade and water with 1 scoop of perpetum. That combination worked well for me. Unfortunately late in the race, around mile 20 I was out of my fuel and had to switch to theirs. The first thing was the Cytomax orange gel. OMG this was the most disgusting crap I have ever tried to eat. I gagged as soon as I tasted it. So much for that idea. So I started drinking the Cytomax drink. I'm not sure what the flavor was but if I had to guess I'd say grapefruit? Not near as bad as the gel, I used it for the remainder of the race. I don't know if I didn't drink enough or if it doesn't have the calories but within about 15 minutes I started feeling my energy fading. At around mile 22 or so I was full on bonking. I will pay much closer attention to the stuff available on the course for next time. If in doubt I will make up baggies of perpetum and mix them as I go like in Long Branch.

Last updated: 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
04:12:26 | 26.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/79
Overall: 79/729
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty nice course. The scenery was nice and interesting for the most part. Much of it was on paved or packed gravel walking trails along the river. While I wouldn't say it was flat like Long Branch it wasn't particularlly hilly however there were a number of fairly steep ups and downs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-11-12 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: Harrisburg Select Medical Marathon

2007-11-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1048898

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: RE: Harrisburg Select Medical Marathon
Sounds like you had a great race regardless of the late bonk. For deciding to do the full late in the season, you should be very proud. Awesome job, I wanna be like you someday!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harrisburg Select Medical Marathon Rss Feed