Tulsa World
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 24m
Overall Rank = 564/1058
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00, began eating (banana, 2 pieces sprouted grain bread w/ almond butter, powerbar performance bar-chocolate) Drank 64oz.
water<-----the devil!
Event warmup:

sat w/ mom and dad in the car until about 20 min. before the start. Headed down, peed for the last time, and got behind the 8:00 pace chart.
Run
  • 4h 24m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 13.1 miles were absolute bliss. I was on pace to do a sub 3:30!! I took a gel at miles 5 and 10. My original plan was to take one every 39.5 minutes, or 5 miles. At mile 15 I began to feel quite queasy, skipped my scheduled gel, and evaluated my situation.

I came to Tulsa to crack 3:30, and the only thing that was going to stop me was me getting sick/injured. Well, at mile 17 the vomiting began. All I was throwing up was liquid. Thats when I began to realize that I had WAY too much water that morning. I'm not used to fueling for marathons, but instead triathlons. I can drink a ton of water before a tri, because the run is last, and you've already peed/sweat out most fluid by that point. Well, not in the marathon! My pace really slowed down at mile 20, as you can see by my splits, the last 8k took me about an hour and a half!! I threw up 2 more times, miles 23 and 25. I saw my Mom and Dad right after mile 23. I've never been so happy to see familiar faces in my life, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. They are seriously the most awesome parents I could ask for and have NEVER missed a big race of mine...such dedication!
If all of this had not happened, I wouldn't have had the wonderful opportunity to be surrounded by a little bit slower group than what I was originally planning to be running with. The 4hr+ people are probably the most encouraging, uplifting individuals I've encountered. I was listening to a woman telling her running partner how elated she was to be holding a 10min./mile pace. Good for her, for being so positive, unlike so many of us that come down on ourselves too hard for our shortcomings that we assign ourselves!(myself included). At mile 24 I was hunched over, thinking I was about to heave again, when I glaced to my right, to see a Cancer ward of hospital. At that moment, I couldn't help but think that the people in that building would give anything to be outside on such a beautiful Sunday morning, puking their guts out at mile 24 of a Marathon. After that, I didn't stop until the end (except for that last vomit @ mile 25 :) )

I was slightly embarassed to be coming in nearly an hour late of my goal time. But you know what? None there knew my story/goal, and the cheers from the crowd were genuine and sincere, all I could do was smile, and enjoy the moment of finishing. Wether I was on pace or not, it was still a big accomplishment, more mentally than physically. Mental toughness is not something people have, but they build, and let me tell you what this race was a character builder. This race taught me a lot about myself, and that when the going gets tough, KEEP ON RUNNING!!!
If I had to do it again, I absolutley would.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words of encouragement. I will not let you down...I will Boston Qualify, and break 3:30 damn it!!
What would you do differently?:

not drink 64 oz. water prior to the start of a marathon! I'll try to remember that in 2.5 weeks @ sunmart!!
Post race
Warm down:

gave mom and dad a hug, got my finisher stuff, and headed to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a full gut of water/ projectile vomiting :)

Event comments:

If you're looking for a well-organized marathon to participate in prior to the holiday season, this is a great one. Plus, it has events for the whole family: half marathon, quarter marathon, and kids marathon (1.2 miles)

Last updated: 2007-11-12 12:00 AM
Running
04:24:51 | 26.2 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 27/1058
Performance: Good
Course: Goals for the day 1)FINISH 2)Boston Qualify 3)Crack 3:30
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-18 9:42 PM

User image

Planet earth
Subject: Route 66 Marathon

2007-11-19 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1059761

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: Route 66 Marathon
You are Awesome! I am very proud of you...! you never stopped! I know you will BQ soon....... oh and I dig chicks that projectile vomit and keep moving! We will have fun in two weeks..!!

Kenny
2007-11-19 10:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-11-19 11:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
hahaha that sucks, but is kind of funny. Way to stick it out and finish even though you threw up 3 times. A lot of people would have just quit and saved it for another day, but not you!! You've got class and character, bravo.

Shanks
2007-11-19 9:35 PM

Master
South Florida
wow...that sounds awful and beautiful all in one   Good for you to finish and to benefit from it.  What a positive spin!!!  so 64 oz of water doesn't make for a good running partner?   you'll get that BQ-no worries!
2007-11-20 7:55 AM

Veteran
Texas

Sorry you were sick!! You are a seriously Hoss Chick!  I don't know how you did that, but you are a real trooper for keeping up the good attitude and having fun out there enjoying the crowds and using your strength to just keep going. This story of pushing through is really one to keep in mind when the going gets tough. Good luck at SUNMART!

2007-11-20 8:20 AM

Planet earth
Thanks guys.  I hope to see some of you @ Sunmart!! Not sure yet what the next BQ marathon will be.  I think a January marathon might be too close to my half-iron in march to get a full recovery and good training.  I might have to wait until after Louisville.   I know it will happen when it is the right time for me! Take care
2007-11-20 12:25 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
That is a tough break, but congrats on fighting through it. I have to agree with Kenny, cute girls that projectile vomit are HOT! You will get'em next time.
2007-11-20 9:42 PM

Elite
Texas

I think you'll be better off for having overcome some difficulty than if you'd gone out and knocked off a BQ Sunday. AND, when you do it, you'll feel even better because you know how hard it could be. Way to tough it out!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Marathon Rss Feed