Trak Shak
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 21s
Overall Rank = 312/1281
Age Group = 20 - 24
Age Group Rank = 12/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30am, made myself a smoothie for breakfast. Jumped in the shower, just to get warm. Left apt around 7:15am.
Event warmup:

My first mile was my warmup. Probably the worst way to do it, especially because it was cold out, but I'm stubborn.
Run
  • 49m 21s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Finish time was 49:45 (8:01/mile) Chip time was 49:21.
Overall, I did much better than I ever expected, my goal was to do an 8:30 pace. I started out around that for the first two miles. Then, in the highland area I was able to keep up with a few guys running faster than myself, so I picked up my pace with them for the next two miles (probably under 8/mile), then the last two miles I actually passed them and kept it up until the finish. That was probably the fastest I could have kept up a pace for an extended period. Overall, my performance suprised me and I really enjoyed the race.
What would you do differently?:

Get in more training before the race. I really think it helped to run with people faster than myself, as I definitly could not have kept that pace up by myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a free stretching at the race by physical therapy students (or massage?), wasn't that great, but I'll take what I can get.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics

Last updated: 2004-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:21 | 06.2 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/1281
Performance: Good
I can only record one zone, so I combined my zone 3 and 4 into a manual zone of 140-180. I should have probably made the zone smaller, which I'll do for next time (just use Zone 4). HR monitor didn't pick up HR for a little while at the beginning and at another point it registered 240 (error). But I do think the Avg HR (171) is close, although a bit high. In zone: 40:34, this is probably close to correct. So I'm pleased. I did look at it often and noticed that for the most part I was in high 160's for first 2 miles, 2nd 2 miles low to mid 170's, and the final 2 miles I was consistently in low 180's and couldn't get it down into the 170's unless I slowed down. I would like to work on keeping my speed but get my heart rate to stay in 170's.
Course: Perfect course, there weren't many hills at all, mostly steady inclines. First two miles were pretty flat, then 2nd two miles were a steady climb through Highland area (my running route!), then a decent for 1 mile followed by a flat finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes