General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Water Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Blue Water Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Parker, Arizona
United States
Mountian Man Events
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual stuff: air in tires, filling water bottles and triple checking my gear bag.
Event warmup:

The hotel I stayed at was at the race site, so I walked about 100 yards to the transition site. My swim wave didn't start until 8:10 am so I just chillaxed and watched the long course folks take off. Then started the ordeal of putting on my wetsuit. That took about 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 22m 46s
  • 656 yards
  • 03m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Let me preface this by saying that I did some race "no-nos". I bought a new wetsuit a few days before the race and this was to be my first open water swim in a race mode with a wetsuit. I started out great. I felt soooo bouyant and fast. Then about 50 yards in I started to feel claustrophobic. I was panicking and just "wanted to get that damn wetsuit OFF!" Another swimmer stopped and told me that I could summon one of the boats over if I needed help. Well, I wasn't going to stop racing because of that! I was determined to finish this, after all, it was only a 650 yard swim. I realized it was a mental game and I calmed myself down and started swimming. I was getting hot so I just opened the neck of the suit to let more water in. I finally rounded the first bouy and just kept swimming and paddling along. As I round that bouy I was looking directly into the sun and couldn't see the next bouy. I had to keep stopping and clearing my goggles to sight. I then started passing the men from the first swim wave that were still out there. That gave me some confidence and I finally found the channel that led back to the transition area and finished the swim. I was a little dizzy as I came out of the water and the ramp out of the water was slimy, but I made it out of there. There were no wetsuit strippers so I struggled to get the suit off, but MAN was I happy to get that thing off!
What would you do differently?:

Practice more with the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was a bit shaky during this transition but got my bike shoes on and walked my bike to the line. As I was walking my bike through the transition area I heard the announcer saying, "there are only a few bikes left!". Well, that didn't boost my confidence any, but at least I wasn't the LAST bike out of there.
Bike
  • 29m 48s
  • 8.7 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I committed another cardinal sin of racing. I rode my brand new bike, which I had never ridden before. I thought this would be a good place for the maiden voyage. I was so excited to ride my new bike, and figured since it was only a nine-mile course, it wouldn't be a problem. Well, it wasn't. That new bike is SWEET! I flew up the hills with that compact crack. I passed lots of people, mostly those riding mountain bikes. I felt good on the bike, but they sure need to reroute that bike course out of the that campground. The speed bumps were at the bottom of a big hill so just when you are gaining speed, you have to slow down.
What would you do differently?:

It was such a short bike course that I don't really know what I could have changed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty fast transition from bike to run.
Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't push myself too much on the run. I stopped and walked twice, my legs were still wobbly, probably from the swim. After the first mile I got my running legs back and felt better. It was over before I knew it.
Post race
Warm down:

They had lots of food, bagels, muffins, fruit, pretzels, cookies, so I ate lots and waited for my friends racing the long course to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trying out new equipment and lack of training. I was so undertrained. I had been so busy with work the weeks before this race, but was glad I was doing the short course and not the long course.

Event comments:

This is a good end of the season race. Just the right distance, the weather was perfect, the water was clear and the size was small enough. I would do this one again.

Last updated: 2007-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:46 | 656 yards | 03m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue 70 full wetsuit
Course: triangular course starting at the beach on the Arizona side of the Colorado River across to the California side of the river then back to Arizona.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:48 | 08.7 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: There was a nice climb out of the transition area and the road went through a campground with SPEED BUMPS and big ruts in the road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:50 | 02.49 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The run course started out on a dirt trail, past a dead person's memorial up a hill to the highway. Then on the sidewalk/bike path of the highway back on the resort roads through the same campground to the beach and back to the resort where the finish line was.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-20 10:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: Blue Water Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Water Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed