Event warmup:

pee'd in the trees
Talked to some friends.
Run
  • 1h 48m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started towards the front in what I thought would be a good spot. The 6K and the half mary start together so it was the usual run around folks for the first half mile or so.

It drizzled pretty much the whole race so that helped keep me cool. I don't mind running with wet feet so I embrace the rain.

This was the first longer race in a long time that I wasn't running with my running partner. We usually talk the whole time so I felt a little out of sorts for awhile. To compound that, I also haven't been running as much as I should so it took me some time to get comfortable.

I have run this course a bunch of times so I just let my mind wander as I ran. It usually wandered to the next pony-tail in front of me. That was my race, scan for pony-tail, follow pony-tail, pass pony-tail (sometimes), scan for next pony-tail.

A special thank you to the magnificent specimen who was wearing the black tights. That long blonde pony-tail swaying as you ran.....You really helped me out. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! (it was a Thanksgiving Day run afterall)

I kept this up for pretty much the whole race up until the point I realized that I needed the services of a port-a-potty. I passed by a few during the race thinking that I could make it to the end but I made the mistake of releasing some pressure in the form of gas. All that did was get things moving.

Fast forward to mile marker 9. There was a port-a-potty there and it was unoccupied. I scanned it quick for sitting suitability. I opted for a mid air drop which wouldn't normally be a problem except that this particular unit seemed to be set up on a see-saw. I felt like a monkey inside the potty with the whole thing shaking back and forth. I did my best to aquire the target and proceeded to take care of business.

Back to the race.

Between chasing pony-tails I was trying to remember my fastest mary time and do the math for what it would take to beat that. I was afraid that my monkey business in the potty was going to make that unattainable but I decided to start picking up the pace anyway.

My splits had been all under 8:30's but I wasn't sure how long I wasted. My HR had been running around165 all day so I wasn't sure how long I could kick. I made a concious effort to move my legs faster and hoped that the rest of my body would follow suit.

As I was picking up the pace, I was catching runners I had passed before. This was good and bad. Good that I was catching them but bad that I had to let them pass to begin with. There was one guy that I went passed that had the most unusual running style for a distance runner. He was picking up his knees like he was running hurdles. It looked and sounded like it hurt. It helped me concentrate on running smoothly. I felt stealthy running next to him.

I knew I didn't have a 5K sprint in me so I had to be careful not to hammer too much too soon. I was very familiar with the course and I knew that the end had a bazzilion turns. It is easier for me to finish strong when I can see the finish line. Not gonna happen on this race. I pushed a little bit more every time I checked my garmin for the mileage.

At last I turned the corner and there was the end about 25 yards into a parking lot. I kicked as hard as I could through a huge puddle and passed a few other runners in the process.

As it turned out I did beat my best 1/2 mary time by over 3 minutes (same course, last year)
What would you do differently?:

train more
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my finishers coffee mug and proceeded to the beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poop.

Last updated: 2007-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/128
Overall: 331/880
Performance: Good
Average pace/mile mile #1 8:26 mile #2 8:02 mile #3 8:10 mile #4 8:15 mile #5 8:26 mile #6 8:23 mile #7 8:15 mile #8 8:06 mile #9 8:17 mile #10 9:11 mile #11 8:10 mile #12 7:59 mile #13 7:32 mile #13.1 6:03
Course: Flat through nice neighborhoods in Manderin.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-23 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: Outback Distance Classic

2007-11-23 6:21 PM
in reply to: #1065744

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Outback Distance Classic
Nice job on the race and your PR! I would say "nice race report" too, but there was a bit too much poopy talk for me!  I now have a visual in my head that I just didn't need to have! I think  the "hover and aim" bit was a bit too much for me!
2007-11-25 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1065744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Outback Distance Classic
Nice run Mike! Congrats on the PR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outback Distance Classic Rss Feed