Pacific Sports, LLC
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 38s
Overall Rank = 135/745
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/73
Pre-race routine:

Had pasta dinner the night before with Italian sausage, bread, green salad, milk, and Trader Joe's Peanut Butter & Choc. Chunk cookies. Plenty of water. Pray for no rain. Morning meal of banana and milk. Get on knees and thank the Almighty for sunny skies. Set up site 1 hour before race start.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and quick dip in ocean after putting on wetsuit.
Swim
  • 12m 23s
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seemed like I wasn't swimming in a consistent group like I usually do. Felt very relaxed throughout. Caught many stragglers from previous waves. Big log jams at turn bouy. Couldn't find second turn bouy because we were looking directly into the sun's glare. Ended up taking very good lines just out of luck. Managed not to swallow too much water. Actually swam over some people and later heard myself cursing a group of slower women who had set up a wall six or seven across as we went past some anchored boats.

Goal time: 16:00 Actual time: 12:23 +/- Goal Overall: -3:37
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder the final 100m. Don't curse the slower swimmers (what was that all about?).
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Transition area is in the sand.. It's pretty tight, but works well. Picked a spot in the middle, near a big tree. Made it easy to spot from a distance.

Went into T1 and acidentally turned off watch instead of hitting lap button. Didn't discover that mistake until the last part of the bike ride. Started to put on my helmet before I put on my shirt... had to unbuckle and put on shirt (idiot). Sand wasn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be.... got there early enough that my ground towel was still (relatively) free of sand. Body Glide really made suit fly off. Put shoes on in T1 instead of on bike due to hill right out of T1.
Goal Time: 2:36 Actual Time: 2:06 +/- Goal Overall: -4:07

Put helmet on AFTER I put my shirt on. Go up the short hill with feet on top of shoes... it flattens out pretty quickly after 20 meter climb.

Bike
  • 44m 32s
  • 10.7 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed people very regularly. Felt strong on hills. kept dailing it back so I wouldn't burn out my legs for run.

Best moment: riding on flat on lap two with guy on very spendy bike, each of us are passing others frantically and winding through town in an unspoken personal challenge. We get to the uphill and I reach down and hit my old timey gear shift (no index, on the down tube) as he hits his on his aero bars. As the incline increases, I pull away and I hear him mutter, "awesome" with a slight laugh. Never saw him again. It's not about the bike baby.

Wanted to average 15mph. Averaged closer to 14mph. Hills were not as steep as I recalled, but were longer than I remembered.

On the toughest parts of the climbs, the elite riders really went by like I was standing still. Nobody else really passed me on the ride. My extra hill training helped on this course, but I should have done more.

Goal Time: 40:00 Actual Time: 44:32 +/- Goal Overall: +0:25

Push harder on the hills. May have held back a bit too much. Missed my goal time by 5 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Kept shoes on until I got to the rack (forgot to get out of them). Got shoes and socks on faster than I expected... found a stone bench off the sand to put stuff on. Didn't take on any water in T2 hoping it would keep upset stomach away.

Goal Time: 1:18 Actual Time: 1:36 +/- Goal Overall: +0:43

Remember to take off shoes while on bike. Find a way to not have to run in socks
Run
  • 23m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Was happy with 8:00 first mile, given hills. Was getting close to bonking on final uphill section. Last 200 meters of uphill are heartbreaking because you can't see the turnaround and your legs are screaming. When you do see the turnaround, it bubbles out around a grove of trees and get even steeper for a few feet. Downhill was a great relief. Ran hard over final mile, but should have pushed harder at turn around. Fast final mile helped me make goal time during run.

Goal Time: 24:00 Actual Time: 23:01 +/- Goal Overall: -0:22

Push harder at turn around as downhill commenced and push harder on final mile. Goal was to be over 160bpm on final mile, but only got there at the very end. Also, forgot to have a good attitude on the uphill. I let the incline get me down
Post race
Warm down:

Stop and get a couple orange slices. Walk around and lightly stretch. Drink GU2O

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do more specific speed work. Focused too much on making the distances and adding hill work, but didn't do any speed work before this event. Could be stronger in the swim and on the run. Also a better bike would help -- maybe it's a little about the bike after all.

Event comments:

I love this race. Very well run and a terrific course. You won't set any personal bests here, but it's a great indicator of your fitness level and the scenery is hard to beat. Good strong field, but everyone is very friendly.

I think the swim was a bit short (or a lot short) and the bike was a bit long (my computer showed 10.7 miles versus the 10 advertised).

After 4 Tri races in my life, I've finally been able to do one without puking!!! I think the no water in T2 and taking my Gu a bit earlier helped. I also was very cognizant of the amount of water I was taking in while swimming.

Goal Time: 1:24:00 Actual Time: 1:23:38 +/- Goal Overall: -0:22 Beat my goal!

2001 Race time: 1:35:39 Beat my old time by 12 minutes! Felt good about that. Also moved up 128 places in the overall standings and 29 places in my age group. Was in the 82nd percentile in this race versus the 61st last time. Thank you BTers for keeping me focused and for the great advice!!

Biggest factor in this race: rain was called for all week in the weather reports. It turned out that it was sunny and fairly warm. Doing this in the rain would not have been fun. The downhill on the bike was hard enough without having to worry about slipping off the hill.

Definitely will be back next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:23 | 804 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 204/745
Performance: Good
No HRM during swim. Wave 5/8 (2 min. separation of waves)
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Long John
Course: Calm bay swim. Start on sand, run a few feet into water. Swim past pier and make a right turn toward boat dock, make another right turn toward shores, through the boats moored in the bay. Couple tight spots between boats and pier.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:32 | 10.7 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Overall: 132/745
Performance: Below average
HRM was inadvertently stopped. Average rate around 148. Max: 155 Min: 140
Wind: None
Course: 3 laps around very hilly course. Short (20 meters), steep uphill right out of transition area. Flat for +/-.3 miles, then straight uphill, with two steep sections for 1+ mile, then downhill with hard switchbacks on rough road for 1 mile, then return on (slightly downhill) flat. Downhill was too technical to really make up the time lost on climbing the hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:01 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 198/745
Performance: Average
159 average. Max: 163 Min: 155 Mile 1: 8:00 Mile 2: 8:15 Mile 3: 6:45
Course: Steadily uphill for 1.5 miles, getting steeper the further you go and then turn around and go downhill. Fairly shaded on very crowned asphalt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-11-12 3:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-11-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: #82238

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Catalina Triathlon
Hey Dominic,

Great race, and race report!!!! You did an amazing job, and your PR was great!!! I really wanted to make it home for the Catalina Tri, but couldn't do it. Your swim looks amazing, as does your run considering the hills!!! Your bike story was great. You're right...it's NOT about the bike. ;-) Great job there.

Congrats on your improvement, and your lack of vomit! :-)
2004-11-12 4:38 PM

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Catalina Triathlon
That must be a great place for a race. Good report. I guess you were really pissed about putting the helmet on first. Congratulations on beating your goal.
2004-11-12 8:30 PM

2004-11-13 5:28 PM
in reply to: #82329

2004-11-13 6:11 PM
in reply to: #82480