United States
PRETZEL CITY SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing was normal about this pre-race routine, but that doesn't mean it was bad. My sweetie slept over and I never really got ready for a local race with anyone else around. As far as what I ate, that was normal. Coffee, banana, oatmeal :-)
Event warmup:

Absolutely no warmup whatsoever. It was cold outside and I planned on running in shorts, so we stayed in the car until about 10 minutes before the race. I guess you could say the walk to the start line from the car was my warmup.
Run
  • 1h 47m 19s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in no way in shape for this event. Of course, I could cover the distance, but I wasn't conditioned for the intensity of the hills, as a result, I suffered on the hills. My quads were begging me to stop. Actually, I'm really surprised that they (my quads) allowed me to scale these mountains. I may be exaggerating a little, but seriously, these hills killed me. I did recover nicely and quickly, almost immediatly, after hitting flat ground, though. I want to mention that because I think it says something about my fitness level and I need to be reminded of that sometimes.
What would you do differently?:

There is nothing I would do differently. I would PREFER to be in better shape for it next year, and I'm sure I will be. I didn't approach this as a race, so I'm not disappointed at all with the outcome. I'm rather happy that I completed it.
Post race
Warm down:

I warmed down by basically falling into the arms of my sweetie and then sitting down for a minute. It was only about a minute. After that, I was ready to move on. I had some soup, which needed pepper and, you'll almost never catch me saying this, salt, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability to perform better was limited by my avoiding hills for the past however long. I haven't been training on them because I had a bum hamstring, which reminded me of it's existence on the second hill. The fact that I hadn't covered the distance of the race in an awfully long time MAY have had a little to do with my performance, although, I'm not really sure about that, but I'm mentioning it anyway.

Event comments:

I love this race. I love everything about it. It's a hard race. That's certain, but it's not so hard, provided you're fit enough, that you can't enjoy it, unless, of course, you don't like trail running.

A year ago, at the Dirty Bird 06, is when I met my sweetie, so I am kind of making the DB a must every year in honor of that special day :-)

Last updated: 2007-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:19 | 9.32 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Trail running. Rocky trails hidden under a blanket of leaves to add to the difficulty. Long hills. Short hills. No mud :-(
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes