PRETZEL CITY SPORTS
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 299/458
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

A completely unique routine for me. Didn't sleep in my own bed, but slept very well nonetheless. I forget how many hours I slept, but I had no trouble waking up. Had oatmeal before a race for the first time; it was delicious and filling. I think my routine was the best I've ever had. I felt ready.
Event warmup:

Not sure what this means. I didn't run or stretch beforehand. I wore two shirts, a hat, gloves, and shorts, along with an mp3 player I just turned on for the last few miles.
Run
  • 1h 45m 54s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Much easier than last year, especially because I wasn't concerned about doing the distance, even though last year I probably was in better running shape. I felt great pretty much throughout, although I did have to walk a bit on hill number four, which was killer. I fell for the first time after the hills were done, but it was a fun, kind of skillful fall and roll. Not long after, I rolled my right ankle, which hurt for only a few minutes and didn't bother me again. I loved running with Carrie for much of the race. I had my transcendent moment during the last half mile, listening to Richard Thompson's "Calvary Cross" which peaked just as I finished the course. Wow!
What would you do differently?:

Aside from be in better shape, I don't know that I would do anything differently. I want to run all the way up that fourth hill, I know that.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a little bit. should've done more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I got a little conservative after I rolled my ankle not long after the fall, so wasn't sprinting as much down the home two miles as I did last year, even though I had more left.

Event comments:

I love this race, especially because of who I met there last year, although I didn't know just how significant that meeting was going to become for me. Also both times I've run it I kept thinking to myself that "I am a trail runner." I just love running through the woods, up and down hills, and through mud and water (none of the latter two this time,though). I also love doing that all on a cool fall day.

Last updated: 2007-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:54 | 9.32 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/458
Performance: Good
Course: Four or five hills. The first was the biggest, supposedly. Not as much of a bottleneck as last year. I think that it's because we started closer to the front. Still had to walk a fair amount up it.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes