Tennessee State Park Running Tour
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 37s
Overall Rank = 25/114
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate oatmeal...big mistake...drove 110 miles to Tims Ford State Park for the 11:00 race...registered.
Event warmup:

Jogged 1/2 mile to loosen up. 1 gel 1 hr before race and 1 gel 1/2 hr before race.
Run
  • 44m 37s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out to fast for not having run for a week but it felt good. I was on pace for the first 4 miles then the bottom dropped out. I had gotten extremely dry and had to stop at mile 4 for water and the pace wouldn't come back. It was a struggle the last 2 miles. I hadn't been passed by anybody until mile 4 then it seemed like everybody was passing me. The last runner to pass me with about a 1/2 mile to go was my rabbit at the end and I passed him back with about 200 yards to go.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little slower and stop at mile 2 for water. The oatmeal at breakfast didn't sit well.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, water, and 2 oatmeal pies. My body ached when I finished and I needed to jog some more but couldn't muster the strength.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran the Saturday before and woke up Sunday with a sore throat. Did not get to run all week before running this race. The run map showed it to be more uphill going out and downhill coming back. I don't think it was. Felt like it was uphill both ways. It was nothing but rolling terrain and was tougher than I thought it was going to be.

Event comments:

I came into this race hoping for a 42:00 run with a negative split. I had gotten to mile 3 in 21:24 so I was right on track thinking the second half was more downhill. Mile 5 was a struggle for me but....I dug down deep and got 18 more points for the Masters Catagory putting me in 6th place with an easy 5 miler this next weekend.

Last updated: 2007-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:37 | 06 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 25/114
Performance: Average
Miles splits 6:21, 7:36, 7:26, 7:24, 7:57, 7:50
Course: Out and back on paved trails along the lake. Lots of rolling hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes