BT Development Mentor Program Archives » James G Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-04-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1088223

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: James G Group - CLOSED
Just re-read what I wrote not clear on the fat piece. Cheese/Red Meat Ice cream etc are really bad sources of fat. Especially Cheese.

2008-04-28 2:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

OK team - Let me say how super impressed proud I am of you all. If you have probably only learnt one thing from me, I can see it in your logs "consistency" it is the most important aspect about training the constant day in day out execution will be the thing that pushes you in front of your competition and makes you improve.

I think we have come to a decision point now in our group. A new round of Mentor groups is starting up in April as you can porbably see in the Mentor section of the BT website, we have now been consigned to the archived mentor groups 8-)

So do we want to continue with this group or would you like to appply to new April mentor groups? I am happy to continue as your mentor but as you have seen my input is getting less and less as IM training progresses.

Either way I will continue to include you in my friends list and continue to inspire you.

Let me know what the preference is? 

2008-04-28 4:04 PM

User image

Elite
The group has not been very active for awhile now. I enjoy the inspirations I receive from members and enjoy giving them. I am happy either way.
2008-04-29 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1366760

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
jamesG - 2008-04-28 12:28 PM

"I tried to stick to the 20/60/20 diet i.e. low in fat and high in fibre protein, Molly suggest as a"

Just noticed a glaring error in the above Replace Protien with carbs!

2008-04-29 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
James - Thanks for the latest information. The FitDay website is amazing. That is exactly what I had been looking for to track my eating habits. I will definately be using that website.

The group has been very helpful. It may be time to end the discussion since everyone is getting deeply involved in the training for the season. I also want to thank everyone for the inspirations along the way.
2008-05-03 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
James thanks for the nutrition information. VERY HELPFUL.

I too am finding that as I get into my training it is hard to keep up with the group. Everyone has been awesome on here and I wish you all luck. Right now, my job has me crazy. Of course, I will still be training and will keep motivating all of you, but will probably sign of the mentor program for now...

Good luck to everyone. I will keep checking logs and checking in with you once in awhile.

2008-05-05 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Like everyone else said, thanks for the nutrition info. Nutrition is something I rarely pay attention to as my weight has never been an issue, but I need to start fueling my body correctly in order to continue training. I'm working my way through the Paleo Diet for Athletes, since that philosophy makes sense to me, but I will definitely read further on all you spelled out.

Since it seems the group is beginning to part ways, I'd like to thank everyone for sharing. After reading through everyone's logs (and a little note from James ;-)), I realized the importance of further tracking my workouts. The BT format is comprehensive and I'm still trying to figure it all out, but it seems easy enough to figure out given a bit of time. I still use the Garmin software on my NEW laptop, but I learned a big lesson about saving data when the old laptop drank a cup of coffee.

Good luck to everyone in their individual journeys and thanks for sharing your knowledge and (re)motivating me.
2008-05-21 11:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=115746&posts=34#M1416189

Check this out VERY good debate on intenisty in training. Molly this should be good to read for you regarding your question on how to get fast on the bike.

I posted something in here which I am probably going to get slated for but whatever 8-

2008-06-23 11:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

OK Molly asked me to write some advice for her on her upcomming first tri this weekend. Thought it woudl be good to share with all. Guy's your training si all going so well..Awesome job...

Race Plan for Molly

Race Buid up Taper

I am assuming you are following a taper schedule as per your BT program but anyway some key thoughts. Any work outs you do should be minimal distance with some race pace intervals the purpose is to get the snap back in your legs and get your head right for racing. DON’T Under any circumstance run longer than 3 miles this week in any session.

I really like to add a short fast swim session something like this 8 - 10 x 50yd pool lengths at race pace with 30” recovery between each one. Make sure you easy warm-up and down before and after do this session, if you are going to do it no later than Wednesday. I don’t know why but this session makes me feel really fast before the race.

Friday Rest day always and I would probably take another rest day Monday or Tuesday. On Saturday preferably on the course OWS 10-15 mins just take it easy with a few 25 yd pick ups to race pace. Bike ride 20 minutes spinning with some pickups. Run 10-15 mins easy with 5-6 x 30” pick-ups to 90% of race pace. Aim of this session is to make you feel fast prior to race day.

Eating – Most important meal is the Friday night meal, eat a big meal lots of carbs and some protein my wife usually makes me a chicken pasta dish, go a little light on the roughage. Saturday try not to eat after 6pm and concentrate on small meals I will normally do something like a baked potato with a slice of chicken or Fish. You want to stop your bowels from wanting to go as you are about to start your race on Sunday. NO alcohol race week and limit your caffeine intake. Concentrate on hydration during the week.

Race Day

I will repeat again don’t; worry about time pacing’s etc concentrate on what you can control i.e. your pacing and nutrition etc. It is your first triathlon last thing you want is the added pressure of trying to hit time goals etc.

Swim – your race is quiet short approx 600yds and you are a strong swimmer my advice would be to start in the second row (Not sure how big the waves are) and try and latch on to some feet early don’t go anaerobic particularly in the first 200yds you will spend the rest of the race trying to recover from this, a good tip is if you swim form starts to deteriorate then you are swimming too fast.

Bike - work into this spin easier to start with and build into it, I would recommend one water bottle only with maybe Gatorade in unless it is really hot then carry an extra water bottle. Don’t get too caught up in the nutrition a GU before your swim and a bottle of Gatorade on the bike course should be enough to get you through the tri. You only have 12 miles to bike so really try and pick up the last 3-4miles.

Run - I noticed in the race link the run is longer than a usual sprint 3.8m this is good for you as running is your strong leg. Key for the first .5 of a mile is quick short fast leg turn over try and get those legs loose. Hopefully you haven’t ridden the bike to hard and you can start building the speed try and negative split. Hammer the last 1.5miles you should now be passing all the people that rode the bike too hard, given your run leg is the strongest leg if people are passing you then you rode the bike to hard 8-)

Finally – Enjoy crossing the line and doing well in your first race, you are a strong athlete and will do well. Don’t get caught up in what other people are doing…either you will see them later on the course when they blow up or they are a stronger athlete than you. I look forward to reading your race report and good luck.

PS: Please go and re-read the piece I wrote for Mitch on tips in transition etc…

2008-06-24 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks so much James!!! I am really looking forward to the race and your encouragement and comments have helped so much.
2008-09-05 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Go James! 36 hours to the IM!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » James G Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10