United States
Fredericksburg Area Running Club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15, had some water, got dressed, kissed the sleepy husband good bye and hit the road to meet my friend at the Metro station. Ate a pb&j sandwich while trying to locate friend in the parking lot at the metro. I will have to remember next time that there is more than 1 parking lot at the Vienna Metro. Found friend and hit the road. Freaked out about half way there that I had lost my Gatorade...calmed myself down when I realized that I had water. Arrived an hour later at race, checked in, realized that I had been sitting on my Gatorade in the car (wtf? i was freakin tired), went in search of a bathroom.
Event warmup:

Took a couple laps in the parking lot. I'd been dealing with a sore IT Band all week so I hadn't really been running. I had a heating pad with me in the car, so I started that warm up on the drive down. Did some stretching and headed to the start.
Run
  • 1h 53m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started in a strip mall. The first 2 miles or so were pretty much down hill. People around me were commenting that the first 2 miles were the same as the last 2 - meaning we were going to have to climb these hills again - ugh! Around mile 2 my IT band started aching. Crap! I told my friend that i would give the race 2 miles, and if i started hurting, i'd drop out. I stopped, did some stretching, and started to run again. That was the last I heard from the ol' IT band for the rest of the race..thank goodness!

I felt really good for most of the race. The weather was perfect - cold and damp, and everyone around me was sooo friendly. Around mile 9, i started getting a little icky feeling, but managed to push it aside and remind myself that I only had 4 miles left..then 3..and then i was at mile 2 starting the climb back up to the strip mall. I got passed by a couple people here. However, once we returned to the strip mall i passed all three of those people back...so i felt good about that.

What would you do differently?:

I probably wouldn't have picked a race an hour away in December...but now that i've run it and found out how much fun it is..i'm glad I picked it.

Not eat pizza afterwards.
Post race
Warm down:

Put on some dry clothes. Jogged out to the road to cheer on other runners and wait for my friend.

Devoured pizza at the finish line party.

Which made me sick, and i spent the rest of the day on the toilet. Woohoo!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really didn't feel like i did anything poorly. I finished right about where I did 5 years ago when i was a more serious runner. And i finished 12 minutes faster than I did last year when i had a horrible run at Baltimore.

Event comments:

I wasn't too siked about this race on Saturday morning, but by Sunday morning I was loving it. Well run, friendly people, great course. I'm definitly adding this to my calendar for next year.

Last updated: 2007-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills through Fredericksburg. Run through neighborhoods and the campus of UMW. Very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-10 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston, VA
Subject: Blue and Gray Half Marathon

2007-12-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1092817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Luray, Virginia
Subject: RE: Blue and Gray Half Marathon
Cool, glad you had a good race. I ran this race as well, and also was having trouble with my it band.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue and Gray Half Marathon Rss Feed