General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Half Marathon (LONG) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon (LONG) - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
47F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 16m 42s
Overall Rank = 3094/5209
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 275/234872
Pre-race routine:

Sleep deprivation is the name of the game and I am an expert in that capacity. I really do have to see about that "issue". It's not that I can't sleep, it's that I don't even make a half-hearted attempt to get some serious REM before a race. Maybe that will be my New Years resolution. We'll see. Anyway, Brian (bkarhu) and I double checked everything and headed out for the 30 minute drive to the AAC. As we pulled onto the main highway, I uttered something optimistic about the weather being good...and then the skies opened up. It was a Kodak moment on both of our faces as his windshield wipers were swinging across his windshield faster than we could focus. The inevitable 'WTF are we DOING?!' passed quickly and we made it to our destination. We made a last minute executive decision to eschew the warm running attire for the bare minimums and headed the 1/2 mile to the race start. As SOON as we got there, I immediately regretted our decision to go light. The temps were dropping...and it started to spit (that's West Texas vernacular for drizzle).
Event warmup:

We stood about 100 yards from the start for the full as it was going to blast off in 3 minutes and we wanted to cheer them on...the horses took off (no really, there were horses that started first..maybe that's where Clydesdales come from?) and then a huge gust of wind went by us in a blur and I asked Brian what kind of car just passed us and he said those were the elite runners. WHOA! I thought there was some kind of charity 100m sprint to start the race or something...those dudes were flying! Brian and I were looking for Gaarryy to scream at him..but somehow he escaped us..more on that later. Smack dab in the middle of the lead group was a guy running with no shirt or shoes. Yes, no shoes. Awesome. I would have liked to see him at mile 26.2, but we must have missed him too. We then decided to hoof it back to the car to get our cold running gear on, which was a BRILLIANT idea. So we jogged the 1/2 mile back to the car 20 minutes before our race start, get our stuff on and head back in a jog again. This turned out to be a 1 mile warm-up, which was not planned, but well received by our legs.
Run
  • 2h 16m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

As we headed back to the starting line with 15 minutes to spare, Brian started leading us through Victory Park to get in the back of the line. I took on look down the street at the 5,000 or so people staring back at me and said, "AW, HAYELL NO!" I drew the line (you like that line?) and told him to follow me. We got to the front of the line and casually slipped in about 10 rows from the timing mat. We tried to look like we belonged there and not look too conspicuous, but the lady standing next to me took all of the attention. She screamed, jumped, laughed and waved at every camera that pointed itself in our direction. I think she had a large bet with someone that she would be on TV. She was literally bouncing everytime a TV camera would point our way. Incidentally, without even bouncing at all, Brian and I got 6 seconds of face-time on TV just as the race was starting. We have it recorded in HD for posterity. For those interested, it is 1:17 minutes into the broadcast. We are in the lower right of the screen at the race start. Brian is in red, I am in gray and we are the ones being passed by everyone. We did try to stay to the right, though. Those freaks in Pamplona have nothing on us. That was a serious mass of humanity. Anyway, the first mile went smooth. I was pacing Brian to get 10 minute miles for the duration. I am not a LOT faster, but when and if I ever do run it solo, my goal will be sub 2 hours, and I think that is attainable.
As soon as we got into a rhythm, I had to go to the bathroom. I didn't "over" hydrate pre-race, I think it had something to do with the windchill and shivering body for the 15 minutes before the race. Maybe it was the Gu I took 20 minutes before the race. I don't know, but I had to go..bad! We passed a few portopotties and I waited to see if the urge would pass.. like somehow I could take what was already in my bladder waiting to be furloughed through my urinary tract and somehow siphon it through my sweat glands. Now, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I am pretty sure I convinced myself this could actually happen. Alas, it did not, and by the time we came around a corner in Turtle Creek, I saw my salvation in the form of a thicket 20 yards off the road by a creek. There was a 'line' of men doing the same thing. I told Brian to keep going and I would catch up. Well, I did my business, took a huge sigh of relief and got back into the game. As I filed into the runners on the path, three women giggled at me, as they knew what I had just done. I told them it was good to me a man! I also told her if they was giggling because they saw me by the creek, I needed to remind them it was 39 degrees out with a north wind, and well, guys can be affected by that if they expose certain parts of their body to it. But, I digress.
I quickly caught up to Brian (he slowed way down for me, which was our pre-race plan in the event someone had to pause) and off we went. Kept a nice 10 minute pace and eventually Brian needed to go the bathroom. Here's where it got weird. We passed the 5 mile mark with the music blaring and the portopotties right there. We crossed the mat and he said he needed to stop. So I said, "I will be right here on the right side waiting!" Well, that's what I intended to say, but my frozen lips may have said something else. So I stand there, running in place for the whole YMCA song (yes, I did the arm motions for it), then for a Def Leppard song, then another song, but it escapes me. Why? Because that was a total of about 9 minutes of me standing there running in place and by song 3 I was concerned for Brian. So I watched EACH of the 8 stalls waiting for him to come out. Each stall emptied over the next 3 minutes, which is why I don't remember the song. I was pee-stall watching. I shrugged my shoulders and started out, because he had either fallen in or SOMEhow missed me when he exited. Turns out he came out, went LEFT to go through the timing mat again (maybe he thought he had to, I don't know) and he evidently passed me somewhere between me singing YMCA and Pour Some Sugar On Me. Sweet. I picked up my pace to a 9 minute mile for the next 3 miles, reeling in anyone on the right side wearing red. I loved this pace. Around mile 8 I found him and sprinted about 100 yards to get along side him. Remember the Kodak moment when the windshield wipers were in hyper-drive on the way to the race. Same look. From both of us. We couldn't figure out how we got flip-flopped like that, but we did. The rest of the race was fun...got a little sore around mile 11, but some of that was because slowing my pace down changes my gait and not for the better. Brian was really feeling it in his knee and I kept offering encouragement. A sample... Brian - "My knee hurts, my HR is 169, my foot hurts, my SHOULDER hurts (seriously), my calf is twitching.." Me - "Brian, I am very interested in hearing about all of these malady's, and I will share mine with you...in about 27 minutes. We have 3 miles to go. SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP!" He laughed, we laughed and on we went to the finish. We had plenty in the tank for a sprint, but we took our time and enjoyed the moment and the crowd cheering. It was awesome running with him, and I am glad we were only seperated for 3 miles or so. Incidentally, that was my fastest split. HAHA
What would you do differently?:

Not a darn thing. Brian and I enter and participate in these races as a tribute to our brother, Steve, who passed away March of this year after a 3 year battle with Melanoma. He left behind a wife and 2 sons, aged 5 and 3. Our first fiscal year of running and racing is done together, and we agreed all distances greater than an OLY would be done side by side, stride for stride. After IMAZ 11/2008, we may decide to start looking at PR's, but right now we run and race as a 2 man team in remembrance of our big brother.
Post race
Warm down:

We crossed the line, and I am sure I am going to regret the retarded fist pump I did. It was impromptu, so I will chalk it up to freezing delirium. Is it poserish to rehearse a finish line action? HAHA I think I will stick to just crossing the line with a smile on my face. We got our mylars, visor (warning: mini rant. This just in, visors do nothing for shaved head folks like myself except create some really conversational tan/sunburn lines - rant over) and picked our finishers medals out of a box. I put mine on, in case someone there wasn't aware I had finished. Plus, that added strip holding the medal on my neck provided some much needed warmth. We then were directed and redirected and reredirected by security how to get inside for the food and beer, which we finally did. We got our stuff and looked for a place to sit. I found one and we sat down. I made a comment to the girl sitting next to me and I thought she looked familiar, but didn't say anything. Then, her husband sits down and I definitely know this dude. It's rgill (Raegan) from this site AND from my alma mater (Texas Tech) AND from my fraternity. What are the chances?? We caught up briefly and then I remembered his wife (SportySue), who was one of our little sisters for the fraternity. It was great to see them! They introduced us to Kelley (mom23) and Maurice (dad23) and we chatted for a few more minutes before it was time to go. I still had to go to work! As we got outside and headed for the car, we saw some of the full marathoners finishing, mixed in with some half-ers. Brian remarked out loud that we needed to look for Gaarryy, and we cheered some on for a minute. Lo and freakin behold, here comes GAARRYY! We started cracking up and screaming for him. His RR says he limped to the finish line, but the dude looked fresh and was moving VERY fast for having just run 26.1 miles. I was proud of him and we screamed until he got out of earshot. Then we finally made it back to the car. That night, on my way home from work, I cursed my car for not being an automatic. Every shift brought a fun, searing and short-lived pain through my left lower extremity. 2 days later, I am fully recovered and ready to run again. I may or may not do the full next year, as it is only 2 weeks removed from IMAZ. I am leaning toward just waiting for 2009 to do the full here in Dallas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Left my HEELIES at home.

Event comments:

I think I already commented too much, but you didn't have to read all of that. Wait til my IMAZ report. hehe

Last updated: 2007-12-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:42 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/234872
Overall: 0/5209
Performance: Good
Avg HR was 142, my max HR never broke 160 for the race. Does this mean I am not pushing hard enough?
Course: Aside from one small incline, it felt downhill or flat the entire time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-11 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon (LONG)

2007-12-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1096167

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Half Marathon (LONG)
Great job Chris! Awesome RR too! It was good to meet you & Brian and tap some of y'all's inspiration. Next year, full mary time! WWSS? (What Would Steve Say? - He'd say he was damn proud of you both!).
2007-12-11 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

way to catch up to your brother out there.. I think it's very inspirational for what you two are doing with your races.

It's soo cool that the both of you are posting stuff on here, it's incredible that you met up with your old frat bud's and his great wife, plus you got to meet maurice and kelley another super cool couple.  Both couples really impressed me when I met them also.....

I'm glad I got to see you guys at the end it really helped me out.. I only looked fast since I was talking my usual end of race smack talk of "dont' let an old man beat you" so I had to pass those youngsters.   once this rainy weather breaks we all need to get some group bike rides going.

Congrats again on your  1st half mary

2007-12-11 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Great job and great report!  I love long race reports (mine's not too short, either )
2007-12-11 8:33 PM

User image

Australia
What a great RR! I enjoyed reading that so much. I think it is fantastic that you & your brother are doing what you are doing together. I love it!
2007-12-12 12:08 AM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth

Chris - thanks for being my personal pace runner.  I have to admit, miles 4 - 8 just weren't the same without my wingman.  DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!  ha ha.  No surprise, I was doing the Y M C A hand motions as well while waiting for the port-a-potty.  Good call on sliding into the front at the start.  That was fun and we are almost famous for being on TV for 5 seconds.  Sure, it's a bit humbling to be passed by 4,000 folks, but my goal was to finish.  PLUS...having a bunch of cute legged women zoom passed us wasn't too hard on my eyes.  I look forward to our next side by side race. 

As someone mentioned...Steve would be proud of us (and would tell us we're crazy in the same breath! - That's Steve...he would say what's on his mind, and we loved him for that).

2007-12-12 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Awesome race and RR Chris! It was great meeting you and I wish ya'll many more happy and fun races to come!!!
2007-12-12 9:38 AM

User image

Great race report Chris! 

Kindof amazing to think that our paths diverged for the past 20 years and crossed again on Sunday in a very coincidental and bizarre way in the AA Center. 

For those that haven't met Chris in person, he's like a 36oz Red Bull with a triple shot of espresso.  Full of life and charged with positive energy!

Chris, glad to see you and Brian being positive roll models to Steve's sons.

2007-12-12 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I am surprised people braved my dissertation, but I like reading long race reports, so I return the favor. 

It sure was a thrill to meet mom23, dad23 - they were very cordial and I can tell are great people, especially if they keep company with the Gills.  It was surreal that I met up with Raegan and Sue..the chances are astronomical, if you think about it!  Seeing Gary just topped it off.... I thought we were on The Truman Show.

Director: "Cue the college buddy....good!  Okay, as he's leaving the arena, have Gary run past him in a sprint to the finish line...good....CUT!"

haha

Yessir, Raegan.... 32oz Redbull with a triple espresso.  I like it!  However, I think it is just one of those phases people go through.  Mine just happens to be in it's 40th year. 

Chris

2007-12-12 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great race, Chris! I enjoyed reading your race report- very entertaining! It's amazing that we ran into you and Brian afterwards. It was good talking with y'all. Raegan is right on the positive energy- you seemed happy and pumped (which you should have been since you just ran a great half mary!) I am sure that we will be seeing you guys at many races in the future!

I think that it is great that you guys do this together in memory of your brother, Steve!
2008-01-04 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Great race report...and I think it is awesome that you are running this with your brother, for your other brother...very touching!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Half Marathon (LONG) Rss Feed