2008-03-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1275330

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1262909

New user
Subject: RE: Week 10: 2008
So I decided to do a recon ride from San Clemente through Pendleton to O-side on saturday in prep for the 70.3. The way down was great....the way back.....not fun. The wind was really blowing and I averaged less than 15 mph. I am hoping the conditions are a little more friendly for the race in two weeks but I am a little concerned. Went about 45 miles and tried running for 30 minutes and had some nasty shin splints.
2008-03-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1103805

Regular
Killeen, TX
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Closed
Thanks for letting me join the group so late. I have been a BT member for quite sometime now but never really got involved. I have recently become active again and always seem to miss the formation of mentor/challenge groups. So, I decided just to jump in. I feel being a part of this group will help me meet more people and keep me motivated! I look forward to meeting you all.  

NAME: The Starfish/Charlotte

STORY:
 Got the idea to start training for triathlons from my husband (The SaltyDog) and my very good friend Katie (katiefrog15). Training with Team in Training (Go Team!)for my first OLY-CapTexTri 2006. In 2006, I did two sprints, one full OLY and one modified OLY (weather). In 2007, I completed 2 half-marathons (Austin, Nashville Country Music) and one duathlon (Tough Cookies).

I work full time and I am an Army Wife. Not that being an Army Wife defines me, it just gives me certain challenges. One immediate challenge is that we are transferring to Augusta, GA (currently in Killeen, TX) in June. Smack-dab in the middle of race season, which is pretty good here in Central Texas. So, now we must deal with selling our house, moving, working and training. Last year’s challenge was that my husband was deployed so…should have been a perfect time for training but I lost the motivation. However, he is here now and he is my coach.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married, 2 dueling cats (recent issue and really un-fun)

CURRENT TRAINING: Again, my husband is my coach. He develops the plan and I just complain J. No, really it works because I don't have to focus on creating a plan (which I can get hung up on). I only focus on executing it. Basically, I am doing a three-a-week plan…goal is 10 hours a week. I would like to improve my run times but my goal is to make it through the HIM on my feet and injury free. I do have an ITB issue that I fear will flare up…

2008 RACES: 1 HIM. (70.3, Orlando). Can’t commit to much right now because of the upcoming move but we plan to get in two sprints prior to the HIM, a few sprints after and hopefully finish with an OLY. I would also like to do another half-marathon, and the Army 10 miler.  

Edited by The Starfish 2008-03-18 11:50 AM
2008-03-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1275613

New user
i look back on college now and just wish i could have had the multisport lifestyle...but I do remember that is was not really condusive to consistent sleep and early mornings,unless they carried over from the late night partying.
2008-03-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1278230

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome Charlotte, Sounds like you have a great season coming up.

I too will be doing IMCal next week as well as quite a few others from BT.

2008-03-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1275902

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Week 10: 2008

TheWookie - 2008-03-17 9:03 AM So I decided to do a recon ride from San Clemente through Pendleton to O-side on saturday in prep for the 70.3. The way down was great....the way back.....not fun. The wind was really blowing and I averaged less than 15 mph. I am hoping the conditions are a little more friendly for the race in two weeks but I am a little concerned. Went about 45 miles and tried running for 30 minutes and had some nasty shin splints.

Yeah, that wind is certainly a great training opportunity but would not be ideal on race day. In a few days, we should start getting reliable long range weather forecasts Although, after running Soak City last month, I no longer fear bad race weather as I once did.

Hey, at least the water is warm this year

2008-03-18 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1278252

Regular
Killeen, TX
WaterDog66 - 2008-03-18 11:46 AM

Welcome Charlotte, Sounds like you have a great season coming up.

I too will be doing IMCal next week as well as quite a few others from BT.

Opps, typo...Actually, I am doing the 70.3 Orlando, May 18. Copy and paste will get you in trouble...Embarassed

2008-03-18 11:52 AM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 11: 2008

Lots of new faces here and it's great to see everyone ramping up for a great season. The days are getting longer and the weather is warming up nicely

Question of the Week: What is the source for your training plan. Do you have a coach, are you training yourself using one of the available online plans, did you buy a book and write your own plan or do you train with a tri group that has a plan.

And of course, please tell us how your training went

2008-03-18 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1278275

New user
Subject: RE: Week 11: 2008
I originally got a training plan for Cali 70.3 from the Tri Club of San Diego website. It basically gave the parameters for building distance and how to balance the long run/ rides with alternate brick workouts. I was able to follow the concept fairly well but time and external factors really got in the way. I am partly freaked out and partly non chalant(probably mistakenly) about the race. My goal is to "enjoy" the experience and be proud and happy that i can be out there. I know I cant beat anybody so I am just using this as a stepping stone to really changing my lifestyle.

My training went fairly well. The highlights being a really good open water swim on Thursday. I have a lot of confidence with the cold water and the distance at this point so that is helpful going into the race. I did a recon of the bike route and that freaked me out because of the wind, but again I do not have huge expectations for the race. I did about 45 miles and then ran 30 minutes. I gott a really be sure to stretch in t2 cause the shin splints hit me hard. I went for a long run on the Strand in Manhattan/Hermosa Beach on Sunday and the wind again was brutal but I felt like i could run a lot longer than the 8 miles i ran. I guess i am supposed to be in taper mode right now but I feel VERY unprepared. My brother is flying in from North Carolina tomorrow so i will definitely be doing some running but I will be sure to keep the intensity down. But with that comes A LOT of post run carb loading sessions (beer drinking) so I have to be careful. Any last thoughts on 70.3 prep Tim?
2008-03-18 1:04 PM

Veteran
Douglas County
Whew-- what a week!  It was supposed to be a bit of a taper, but it certainly didn't feel too restful.  This week ramps right back up and I have the struggle of juggling longer workouts and my ever-annoying work life.  Had a bit of a hip flexor problem on my run yesterday, so I've been a little worried about the random aches and pains that are popping up.  Hopefully it'll clear up before the weekend, as I have my first 3-hour bike ride and a long run to look forward to!  I'm getting to be quite familiar with the CA 70.3 bike course lately.  And no, I'm not feeling left out by not actually racing it. 
I am part of a coached triathlon team.  My coach gives us race-specific training plans, with weekly detailed instructions on exertion, nutrition, detailed swim sets, etc...  I also get feedback on Training Peaks for each workout, so that's been very helpful when dealing with issues.  I'm fighting the nutrition war right now, so it's nice to have my coach review my plans and see what is going wrong.  And I'm all about accountability.....if I were all by myself, I doubt I'd feel as motivated to put in the work.  But because I am coached and am part of a group that is doing the very same race, I feel compelled to keep at it even when I'm not feeling it.  I don't know how I ever did my first tri on my own-- I'm a little dependent on the coach. 
Hope everyone has a good week and is enjoying the longer evenings.
2008-03-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1278381

Champion
Carlsbad, California

TheWookie - 2008-03-18 10:38 AM Any last thoughts on 70.3 prep Tim?

Not really other than maybe get in a few miles running in soft sand. If the folks over on ST are correct, it looks like the Sandroad will be back this year. (About 200 yards x 4 of soft sand running)

The sand will be very nice for your Shins, but not so nice for the HR if your not used to running on sand. The first bit is right out of T2.

I am really hoping the tide an some big surf will convince them they need to reroute again this year.

Oh, and I would not worry too much; My taper does not start until Sunday. (I still have some big workouts left in my plan)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-03-18 1:05 PM

2008-03-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1278474

New user
WaterDog66 - 2008-03-18 1:04 PM

TheWookie - 2008-03-18 10:38 AM Any last thoughts on 70.3 prep Tim?

Not really other than maybe get in a few miles running in soft sand.

Thats funny you mention it....the wind was so bad in the South Bay that the sand was all over the strand. While it is no comparison to what we will face in Oside, I purposely went out of my way to run in the sand based off what I saw on ST....I remeber the run for the Pendleton Intl to T1.....that ruined me.

2008-03-19 9:16 PM

Right now I am using a plan from nikerunning.com for my half. In the past I have used that site and Hal Higdon's programs. I feel like the Nike plans are a little more customized than the Higdon ones. As soon as my race is over I plan on using one of the triathlon plans from this site to get ready for my olympic.

training this week is going good. I realized I was three weeks from race day this weekend and have been motivated to get some quality workouts in before my taper. I have been bustin it to PR this race. My main concern right now is keeping a consistent pace so I don't crash half way through. It's always so hard to hold back and save energy for the second half of a race.
2008-03-19 11:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
I am using a modified version of the 20 week one here and the 13 week to a 13 hour ironman plan. I dont have as much time to train as I would like so I do what I can do. With everything going on in my personal life I cant get away as often as really needed but I am going to finish my 1/2 and my full this year.

I would like to have a coach and think I will in a few years when things settle down and I make a run for my best time.

Training this last week is finally on track but i am beat. I have tried to pick back up on the week that I should be on even with my illness. I think i put in 12 hours or so which is a bit short but much better than the 4 weeks previous. I am happy with my swimming and biking but I took a huge hit in run fitness with the pneumonia and subsequent bronchitis and sinus infection. But Ill get it back....

2008-03-20 11:40 AM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I have been a bit pre-occupied in the last week or two as my training ramps up and have been mentally absent from quite a few of life's activities. (Still trying to make Family a Priority) Friends and online stuff in particular has been lacking lately.

I am currently following a 13 week HIM plan that I constructed by starting with the Pfitz 18/70 Marathon Plan. I doubled the miles to calculate bike volume and have been slowly ramping up my swim volume as my shoulder improves. Now up to ~8,000 yards per week.

I will be repeating a slightly different version of this plan for IMCdA in June. The plan will be 12 weeks long with peak run mileage at ~80 MPW, Bike Mileage ~200 MPW and Swim Volume ~13,000 YPW. This plan also starts with the last 12 weeks of the Pfitz 18/70 Marathon Plan.

Training has been going great lately. My run is cranking this year and my swim fitness is bouncing back very nicely. I am up to a 1.5 mile Ocean Swim but my overall pace is still just a bit slower than pre-injury. My bike has been lacking a bit but I don't think it will be an issue next week with the HIM. I just need to put some added focus on it for my IM Training.

Nice to see so many folks posting and it looks like great stuff

2008-03-20 11:56 PM
in reply to: #1260972

Fullerton, CA
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open For a Few More
Hi all! And especially to Future Iron Girl! You are exactly one week older than my daughter! She turned 21 on Feb. 24th. Are you sure you want to do an Iron Girl for your first Triathlon? Is that like a half Iron Man or a Full Iron Man? Or some other distance? Well... I quess you're young! I sure don't want to discourage you but it sounds like you're biteing off a lot. Well...5 months to train; that's quite a while.

Anyways...my training was going along quite well till my front derailler started acting up. I tried a quick adjustment and made it worse. After a couple frustrating ride with it misbehaving, I got fairly serious about fixing it right...ended up missing one workout of a two-fer. But I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere. Anyways, I found a great bike repair book which will hopefully save me a lot of time in the future.

I'm using a training plan from BT. I think it's the 16 week Olympic Balanced. Only for all the swim sessions I'm using the Olympic Training from TriSwim Coach. His workouts take me 1.5 to 2 hrs to do, but I just do his whole workout even though the BT plan calls for a much shorter swim workout. Also, since these swims are so long, I rearranged the sessions so I swim one day and bike and run the next day.

That's all for now folks! Linda

2008-03-21 12:42 AM
in reply to: #1284609

2008-03-21 11:23 PM
in reply to: #1284626

New user
before you know it you will be signed up for one of these races...such as IM Lou. Last year at this time i couldnt run more than two miles and a week from tomorrow I will be doing a half ironman.....it is crazy but your motivation (once you pay the entry) will drive you along. For some reason this sport (obsession) drive each of us to go longer and longer. I am not sure if will ever do a full IM but i wouldnt rule it out. The problem i see is that the only measure of a "triathlete" is IM distance and that isnt true. The majority of races people do are sprint distance and to me that is the best part. If someone only did sprint distance would they still be a triathlete? You bet! Triathlon is not only about being and "Ironman" based off what the corporate marketing department says, it is about a lifestyle and a way of life. A couple weeks ago i had to do a public speaking seminar and one of the exercises was to talk about yourself and your hobbies. I obviously said my hobby was triathlon. That to me means what i do with my free time that leads to an end goal, which might be an A race. I only "race" one a month but the training is why i consider triathlon my hobby. Just my two cents.
2008-03-21 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1286828

2008-03-22 4:27 AM
in reply to: #1286835

Veteran
St. Pete

I had no real intentions of getting serious about this but now WOW. Once I found this site and an interactive training plan my workouts both quality and frequency have improved vastly. I do not have a coach just BT and my head. I am going to take a few swimming techniuqe lessons over the next 3 weeks.

I can honest say the first 3 weeks of the BT training program I have only cut short 2 practices. I tend to plan my workouts into the next day and then just make no excuses and get them done.

Wookie you are right on. I am training for the St. Anthony's on the 8 week Olympic program. I got signed up for the race by a friend talking me into it. Now we are signed up for 4 more race this year and probably looking at doing a 1/2 in October. I bought my Cervelo P2C yesterday so I guess I really commited now.

PS I had multisport in college "Girls, Beers, Fraternity" LOL Cool

2008-03-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1286915

2008-03-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1275613

Extreme Veteran
Here I sit at work with thoughts of IMCdA running through my mind and the daunting task that lies ahead of me. I think back to what brought me to this place in my life that caused my momentary loss of all rational thought when I signed up for an Iron distance race with no background or races in my past. I think about what I have accomplished in the last 8 months in training and how I will continue to push myslef harder and harder hoping that I dont break. I think about the time that I have taken for myslef while on the road running and biking as well as the time in the pool and wonder if there is some other place that the time would better benifit my kids and myself. I think is there anyother place that I would rather be at this place and time. I think, as I always do on a LONG run, what the hell am i trying to prove. All this can be answered by just telling myself that I am on a mission to complete the single hardest endurance event of its kind. I realize that some people can do these 5 times a year but for this 35 year old ex fatty, ex couch potato I am in awe of the things that my body is able to do now.

But still no matter how far I have come I cant imagine crossing the finish line in april for my 1/2 or in June for my full. I think after a long run... yeah and i have to do that + 10 miles after i bike 112 and swim 2.4.... no frickin way!!!....

So the freak out time begins!!!

Happy easter to eveyone I hope you day is filled with family, friends, eggs, candy, church, love and training.....!
2008-03-23 5:59 PM

Veteran
St. Pete

Got a question.

April 27th is St. Anthony's Olympic Tri. This is the one I am training towards.

April 12th  is a local race that is a sprint distance.

I have never competed in a Tri before but I am training hard and feeling pretty fast. I can not make the decision to or not to compete in the sprint to "get my feet wet" I do not want to screw up my St. Anothy's race or training.

Thoughts or experience  

2008-03-23 7:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
do the sprint and use it as you last "big" workout... just dont go all out and you will be fine... better even because you will have some transition exp...
2008-03-23 8:51 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14