United States
49F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 9s
Overall Rank = 378/442
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and achy, with my sinuses all stuffed up. Seriously considered bagging the race and just sleeping in. But decided, what the hell, at least I'd get my sick butt over there and cheer on my friends, even if I didn't do the race.

Stopped by Starbucks for a piping hot half-caf Americano since it was so freaking cold. (Normally I get iced...) Scarfed down a scone too, since I knew I'd go hypo if I didn't eat something carby. Got to the parking lot about an hour early, and dozed in the warm car until about 45 minutes prior. Walked over to the start line and checked out some of the booths.

Ten minutes later the sun had risen enough to get really bright, so I realized I really needed my sunglasses and headed back to the car. At that point I had woken up enough and actually felt good enough that I decided I'd go ahead and do the race.
Event warmup:

Ran partway from my car to the start line, to warm up a bit, then stretched for a few minutes. Found the gang near the back of the line. Stitch was going to do the 10k. Matt, Sherri, Val (with Evan), and I were doing the 5k. Val was struggling with Evan, who decided to get fussy right before the gun went off -- what's not to like about being out in 45 degree weather at sunrise??? ;-) Hell, I felt fussy enough myself, come to think of it, but then the race started.
Run
  • 43m 9s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 13m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

After looking at my Garmin data, I see that I ran 42% of the time, or 18 of 43 minutes. I had hoped to hit 50% or 60%, but I'm very happy with my performance, since it was a personal best!! An overall pace of 13:44 isn't fast of course, but it's so nice to be under 14 and 15 finally!

You know, I started this year weighing 228 with my first 5k taking about 53 minutes. Now, 30 pounds lighter, I've shaved 10 whole minutes off my time, and I'm still not even running continuously. Next year will be even better, I'm totally sure of it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Was a great race for me, and everything clicked well. Feeling sick kind of sucked, of course, but maybe it was a good thing since it kept me relaxed, LOL.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, got some food at the finish line. Met up with Matt and Kell and waited for Sherri and then Stitch to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight, as always.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:09 | 03.14 miles | 13m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/442
Performance: Good
Course: The course was pretty much just a big rectangle, though I forget the street names. The first mile and a half were a gradual uphill, but at the time I didn't know it. I figured my sucking wind was due to not running much the past couple weeks, so I just pushed on. Imagine my delight at the final mile or so which was basically all downhill. That was nice. ;-)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-17 11:34 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: Make Room for Santa 5&10K run

2007-12-18 2:27 AM
in reply to: #1107163

User image

Australia
Subject: RE: Make Room for Santa 5&10K run
10 mins off is great! And good on you for sticking with the plan & running anyway.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Make Room for Santa 5&10K run Rss Feed