Mystic YMCA
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 48s
Overall Rank = 101/179
Age Group = M4549
Age Group Rank = 10/17
Pre-race routine:

This was my third triathlon; the first "external" one. A dramatic DNF involving a bike crash shortened my first one. A good finish in 2006 for the corporate one made me confident I'd do OK in the outside world. Got to the YMCA early and parked as close as possible to the transition area. Checked in; Active.com hadn't sent my entry and I was glad that I printed my confirmation email. Got everything together for my transitions and thought about warm-up.
Event warmup:

Quick spin on the bike of about 1/4 of the course and a brief jog. I was worried all week b/c the water was COLD!!! (60deg). I was going to tough it in a speedo, but decided last minute to buy a cheap wetsuit. Got wet (It was cold!) and waited for the start.
Swim
  • 19m 42s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I learned something today: Blue tinted goggles make orange buoys disappear completely! I learned something else today: No changes on race day is a good idea. I had never swam in a wetsuit and b/c of the cold water, did so today. Bad idea. I couldn't breathe after 300yds and had to stop and stand for a minute. I was panicking! I think the constrictive wetsuit, cold water and unfamiliarity with OWS in races all played against me. I calmed down, got through it and got ashore. Bad performance overall; I'm a better swimmer than this.
What would you do differently?:

No changes on race day. Practice with a wetsuit. Get a wetsuit that fits properly.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Really bad. I couldn't get the wetsuit off. Tried to pull a jersey on a wet body. Had to catch my breath, was dizzy from the exertion and nerves of the swim. Just awful.

Body glide (I had none). Wear a tri suit to swim in instead of trying to dress while wet.
Bike
  • 43m 20s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

After getting started and "recovering" from the mental anguish, I started to enjoy myself. I kept on "on your left" and picking up some places. I thought this was a better result than shown; at least I felt good riding. I was pacing with a friend and that helped my mood.

Start racing from the get go and no more Sunday rides. If I had been stronger at the start, my placing would have been better off.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Who knows! Sit or stand! I sort of tried both (bad idea) after not finding a handhold to balance on.

Sit down immediately and, during set up, figure out if I have a handhold available.
Run
  • 23m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I think 3 miles is a generous estimate. No way I was under 8min/mile today. I was really slow, but hey, I did finish and not DFL!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossing the line, I was bummed I didn't break 1:30 (so close). Looking at results, top 100 is better than finishing 101 overall. Oh well, I learned a lot which would help tremendously all season (my first)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming in an ill-fitting wetsuit. Hyperventilating.

Event comments:

A live band and picnic did wonders to change my mood post-race. Next time I'll do better.

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:42 | 880 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 116/179
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: A triangular lay out. Really looks bigger than the 880yds advertised. You also have to negotiate around boat pilings.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:20 | 14.4 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 65/179
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with some rollers. Roads which I'm real familiar with as these are part of my local rides.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:40 | 03 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 139/179
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat through a neighborhood (gated private roads) and an out/back where you return where other runners go out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-12-28 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Mystic River Valley Triathlon

2007-12-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1120716

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Mystic River Valley Triathlon

This race was outside!???… I give you a trophy just for showing up! Were you not freezing your azzz off…??

Great job in very tough conditions!

2007-12-28 4:22 PM

User image

Australia
Well done - sounds like it wasn't easy!
2007-12-28 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1121053

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I'm rounding out my race reports for 2007. This was a June race, but yes, it was chilly, especially swimming in 60deg for just shy of 20min. You get an "ice cream headache" from water that cold, even with a double swim cap.
2007-12-29 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

'Twas a modest start to a really good 2007 season for you...I saw your 5k PR at New London followed it, so you must be doing more than a few things right.

Thanks for the tip about blue goggles/orange buoys!

Mystic, CT must be a neat area to race in with all of the harbor history and historic homes -- maybe like Marblehead, MA -- coincidentally I train in Mystic Lake near Boston. 

Cheers, -Sunny 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mystic River Valley Triathlon Rss Feed