United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 5s
Overall Rank = 27/38
Age Group = Cat5
Age Group Rank = 27/38
Pre-race routine:

Arrive early and switch categories. I was registered for the Masters race, but switched to Cat5 so I could get home in time for my birthday dinner that my SO was preparing for me :-)
Event warmup:

Ride out and back on a neighboring road to get the HR up to Zone5 a couple of times, then back to the car for a Clif shot, then to the start box. Pre race announcements are that they've neutralized not only the roll out, but the first trip up to the start finish line thereby keeping it a group race and keeping the group tighter. Good news for me!
Bike
  • 52m 5s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I raced really well today. This was the third time for this race and my best place so far. I was shocked that on the third lap, I still had folks to work with. Usually, this becomes a personal TT off the back after being dropped. Sure, each trip up the big climb, I'd fall off. But I'd catch back on the descent (Yeah Clydesdale advantage!!!). At ~1mile to go, I was working in a group of 5. I thought I wouldn't be able to take them climbing, so I sprinted way early and WAY HARD!! It worked for 1/2 of my group as they were about 2 min back of me. I finished in a group of 3 and lost places to only 2 on the climb. Tactics actually worked for me!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Lose some weight to be more competitive (story of my life).
Post race
Warm down:

After re-gaining blood flow to the head, I rode back to the car, waited for results and then went home to my Birthday dinner (Mmmm, pork roast!)

Event comments:

It's a small-ish home town type race, but the proceeds go to the ambulance company and a friend is the race director. I always look forward to this one.

Results at: https://www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2007-1372

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Biking
00:52:05 | 18 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/38
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 3 laps of a hilly course. Neutral start from the fairgrounds all the way to the start/finish line (but I swear the front of the group rides even the neutral start quick as every time I looked, we were doing >20mph). After a 1 mile descent, rollers, another turn onto another long, slow climb, rollers again and close the loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right