General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hartford, Connecticut
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 278/1264
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 54/104
Pre-race routine:

Arrive early and park in the lot just across from Bushnell park. I like being close so I can use the car as a locker room. Go get my number and packet, peruse the freebies (Schick razors, Sun Chips, nice little toys for my daughter). Return to the car, pin on my number, change into the singlet and get back.
Event warmup:

Jog a little and check out the accordion band in the opposite corner of the park (Whens the last time YOU heard an accordion concert?). Do a Clif shot while waiting to start and maneuver for a reasonable position in the crowd. Announcements and off we go!
Run
  • 26m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Does anyone know how to get out of a starting pack? Takes me 1/2 a mile in a race of 1000 just to get clear, open road. If I start in the center, you get boxed in. If you start toward the sides, you get pushed out and interfered with by slower runners moving over.
What would you do differently?:

Somehow pick a starting position where it's easier to race from? Even though I'm not going to win, I'd somehow like to get clear and not have to move around so many others.
Post race
Warm down:

Socialize with the others from my team, get results and am pretty happy with my day. Not bad for my level of fitness.

Event comments:

A worthy charity as breast cancer is rampant in my family.

Full results at: http://www.jbsports.com/komenct07.htm

Last updated: 2007-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:25 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/104
Overall: 278/1264
Performance: Good
Course: Starts out with a lap of Bushnell Park, then heads out after Mile 1 into wide open, sunny, hot streets. Pass over I-84 and around the John Hancock Bldg, then return through residential to mile 2. A return lap around the park completes the course. Some long-ish hills finishing mile 1 and at 2.2 or so. Good course for a 5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes