General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A, B, and C races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-04 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: A, B, and C races
I see a lot of talk about A, B, and C races in discussion and in training plans. "A" is pretty self-explanatory -- in my case it would be the half-IM I'm training for.

But can someone share some insights on how to define a "B" or "C" race, and what's the difference between them?

2006-12-04 10:37 AM
in reply to: #615063

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: A, B, and C races
I think of 'c' races as just for the heck of it...no specific training or you don't change you training to accomdate the race.

I think of 'b' races as something that helps with the training of the A race...its placement in the calender will help me peak towards the A race
2006-12-04 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
The last guy pretty much nailed it.

Example:

I'll do an off-road duathlon in early March thats a C race. Its a 5k trail run, 10 mile mountain bike, 5k trail run. At this point, I will be well into the build phase, so I treat this race as a fun thing for me to do to break up the boredom of winter training.

My A races wont happen until mid-summer, so anything I do in the late spring is pretty much a B race.

All of the 5k's I do leading up to the summer are also "B" races that help me set a baseline time for my 5k runs. Last year, I did a 5k in early summer (June) that I set a PR at, and that helped me get a realistic idea of where I should be running wise for Sprints.
2006-12-04 12:03 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

These are just the definitions I use for my own planning purposes:

A - races for which the training plan is designed around (build, peak, taper).  no more than 1 or 2/year

B - other races at which I'd like to do well so I'll modify the plan to get a small taper during the week beforehand so I hit it reasonably well rested.  Maybe 2-4/year (a couple per A-cycle)

C - hard training days with race experience built-in.  No major changes to training plan and no taper.  any other races that I do.

2006-12-04 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Right on the money, JohnnyKay.  Right on. 

C's I train through and B's I do just for bragging rights, or similar low-stakes bets.  

The A's are my big "stretch" to complete or have a true Personal Best.  I only have 1 or 2's A's per year.  An annual B is fun, but the C's make up most of my race schedule.

2006-12-04 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Here is my working definition for each:

A: A Race that I build a Training plan for and Race at full "Race Pace".

B: A "Tuneup Race" that is included in my Training Plan for an "A" Race. I usually train right through the race (No Real Taper and Normal Hard Run Recovery) but the time is still important. (It is primarily used to keep me sharp and measure my current fitness level) I will run shorter races at full "Race Pace" but might try and pull back for a Half Marathon. (Don't want the extended recovery period to affect my training cycle)

C: A well supported training run that happens to be a race. Time or even whether I finish is really not important. I would, for example, run the first 20-24 miles of a marathon as a supported long run and drop out and become a spectator. Maintaining an even LSD pace is way more important here.

Pfitz has most of his runners doing lots of tuneup races as he believes it keeps the runner sharp and focused during training. I will usually try and do at least one tuneup race during a cycle for a longer distance race and have had excellent results doing so.

I did an Olympic Triathlon as a Tuneup for a Marathon in October and it worked very well. I just did a Half Marathon as a tuneup for an upcoming Marathon in January and it seemed to really help keep me focused.

Hope this helps

2006-12-04 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

In reverse order (and this is just how I see 'em):

C 'race'- usually involves a few beers before or during.  No expectations other than to have a good time.  Been there, done that with the distance, not hoping to blow the doors off or anything, maybe used as a training session (if so, sans beer).  I.E. my 36 minute 5k with the family.

B race- usually absorbed into training schedule.  As some have said, little to no taper.  Solid effort but training up to event not as focused on this race.  For example, did a sprint a few weeks before HIM.  A weekend workout a month or so before should probably been a shorter brick for optimal peak for a sprint, but threw down a longer bike ride instead to keep the A race in focus.

A race- Controls training intensity, duration, etc based on goals.  This is the one that matters whether it is blowing the doors off a certain race or first time at a new distance.  The focal point of what and when is done.  2 per year works for me.

2006-12-04 7:57 PM

User image

Expert

To add a bit to what was already written, this would be how I would define them:

C Races- Sometimes a training run done during a race as a way to test out goal race pace and especially when it is cold out, just to force myself to get out there to run long (like the half marathon I'm doing in early March).  I'll also see how fast I can go without really trying and are done for fun because I like the race (like the 5 mile race I did at an "easy" pace to work off turkey and pie calories 5 days after a marathon that was still somehow a 5 mile race PR).  I'll also use these, like a inexpensive tri series, as experiment races, where I push the swim and bike as hard as I can and see how I can do on the run.  I rarely run two days in a row, but sometimes, one of these races will be the day after another run or hard bike ride, just to see how I can run on tired legs.  Taper is maybe a day or two for running (though not for s/b which are no taper) if I'm not trying to run on tired legs

B Race- Basically used as trial runs on the way to a goal race.  May taper a couple of days for running though not really for s/b.  I'll test out goal race pace or use it to figure out goal pace for a longer race.  I'm doing an Ironman next year and my B triathlon will be the 1/2 Ironman 6 weeks before, which I will use to further refine my pace/nutrition/clothing.  I may take some risks during these (like pushing the bike and seeing what happens or pushing the pace at the beginning of the run) but these would be calculated ones to see what I can do.  As far as recovery, it's what I need, I'm generally back running 2-3 days later and s/b immediately, though I play it by ear as recovering well= better performance later.

A Race-  Maybe 1 to 3 at most for me next year (depends on whether I do a late season 1/2 Ironman and my goals for it).  I taper for a couple of weeks or so for running, a week for biking- though the really long bike rides before that and swimming maybe a couple of days before- I'm a former hs swimmer and don't need much recovery time and swim best on more volume.  These are the races my season is built around and that I have goals I want met if possible (like finishing first 1/2 Ironman this year, the goal of taking 1 hour off my marathon PR that didn't happen at Philly due to leg cramps and next year finishing first Ironman as well as possible).  Afterwards, I take a couple of days or so to eat what I want and gradually get back into training, giving myself whatever time off I need for running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A, B, and C races Rss Feed