94F / 34C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m
Overall Rank = 230/349
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/45
Pre-race routine:

My first Oylmpic-distance event!
Left house at 4:30, having dry cereal and weak Accelerade on drive to race. Arrived at site and was pleasantly surprised that parking was very close to transition area. Got marked and set up transition area. Made use of permanent restroom facilities before they got crowded.
Event warmup:

Around 6:40, got in lake and did some brief balance drills. Swim out to nearest bouy and back twice.
Swim
  • 34m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was getting off to a good start when I was kicked in the face. Didn't lose goggles, but had to pause and readjust them. My swim was pretty comfortable. Just before halfway point, I started getting passed by swimmers from subsequent waves. I had been expecting this, but it was very mildly frustrating nonetheless. Began to tire just before seonc turn point and had to concentrate more on form -- balance, full stroke, high elbow, and catch. There were enough bouys that sighting was easier than expected -- you could sight on the next bouy and not search for the distant turn-around point. I still tend to weave as I swim, but I didn't get as far off course as I have in the past.
What would you do differently?:

Work on retaining form over distance and some speed work.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Throw cap and goggles on bag while stepping in small plate of water (previously set up) and onto open part of towel to clean feet. Grab glasses and Gu from helmet (stuff in pockets). Socks and shoes on (will tighten velcro once mounted.) Gloves already stuck on aero bar ends. Run with bike to mount point.

Tape gels to top tube and load into pockets once riding. Still debate going sockless. (Did for many years with older pair of shoes, but like socks for the running.)

Tape aero bars and forego gloves.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 39s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed moderately hard on the bike, but I probably could done a little more. With the upcoming run, I was worried about pushing too hard. Early on, I started passing many riders (great feeling) only to realize that they had no race numbers -- some group ride had made their way onto the course.
Ate a gel at 20 mins into bike, but it didn't digest as quickly as normal, so I skipped the second one.

Better pre-race review of course -> loosened shoe straps too early and had to pedal for quarter mile with loose shoes.
Running dismount
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Came off bike and nearly couldn't walk on right foot -- severe pain in outer edge of arch of foot. I've had this once before, and I think I have have been curling my toes in my shoes or pushing with outside of foot instead of evenly. Hobbled to rack, but someone was dawdling in front (looking for the right rack) and blocking the rack. I snapped for him to 'move it!'. (I was in pain - I apologize!) Shoes on OK, but I couldn't run and I sorta hopped/skipped out of transition area and into first part of run.

Stretch/wiggle toes in bike shoes for last half-mile. Pay attention to even pressure across pedal.
Run
  • 1h 00m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Post race

Last updated: 2005-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:38 | 1500 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 38/45
Overall: 249/349
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top
Course: Triangular clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:43.7
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:39 | 25.48 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/45
Overall: 186/349
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops of a straight 2-lanes-per-side road. Gradual, minor grade. Nice and fast. On bridge over lake in two segments -- a little extra windy there. One lane blocked off each direction for cycleing, and police blocking traffic at turnarounds. One water bottle station near end of each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average