General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annoyed with my current pool choices--Anyone go to the Laurel Sport Fit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-23 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: Annoyed with my current pool choices--Anyone go to the Laurel Sport Fit?
I'm getting irked by the swimming options I have. I live right by the MD 198/295 interchange near Ft. Meade. I work in DC at Walter Reed, which means my commute is usually 198 to 95 to 495 to Colesville Rd.

I was so happy to find Fairland Regional Park's pool, but the problem is that from 6-8:30, it's FULL of swim teams, water aerobics, etc. etc. and I end up having to come back. It's right on the way if I'm coming from work, but if I go home first it's a pain--15 minutes or so one-way.

I also have access to Ft. Meade's fitness center, which has a pool, but the pool closes at 6PM. Considering the earliest I get out of the hospital is 5, it hardly leaves me enough time to swim.

I noticed this morning that there's a club called Sport Fit in Laurel, which is also right off of 198 and would be perfect for after-work swims. Do any of you guys swim there? What's the afternoon/evening lane availability like?

2009-08-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2364873

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: Annoyed with my current pool choices--Anyone go to the Laurel Sport Fit?

There's a Washington Sports Club near there in Silver Spring.  The website say it has a pool.

http://www.mysportsclubs.com/clubsched/_clubdetail.htm?rg=WSC&a=Maryland&c=249

I've never been there, but I belong to the one in Bethesda, and have been pretty happy with it.  The only thing that bothers me about it is that it's 23.75 yards long because they messed up complying with building codes, and had to fill in part of the pool for the deck.  lol.

2009-08-23 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2365162

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Annoyed with my current pool choices--Anyone go to the Laurel Sport Fit?
hip82 - 2009-08-23 4:56 PM

There's a Washington Sports Club near there in Silver Spring.  The website say it has a pool.

http://www.mysportsclubs.com/clubsched/_clubdetail.htm?rg=WSC&a=Maryland&c=249

I've never been there, but I belong to the one in Bethesda, and have been pretty happy with it.  The only thing that bothers me about it is that it's 23.75 yards long because they messed up complying with building codes, and had to fill in part of the pool for the deck.  lol.

I gave that one some thought, but the problem is the parking. It's not in a very convenient area to drive into, so parking/walking to the club would eat up a fair amount of time. Definitely a plus that it's open at 5 AM, though.
2009-08-23 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
The one in Bethesda vailidates your parking for up to 2 hours at the garage underneath it.
2009-08-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2365483

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
hip82 - 2009-08-23 9:01 PM The one in Bethesda vailidates your parking for up to 2 hours at the garage underneath it.

It's not so much an issue of validation--more of a time issue. One of the reasons the club in Laurel is so appealing is very quick access from my route home after work.
2009-08-23 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
My parents go to the one you're talking about in laurel. They have be going there for a few years and keep on going 3-4 times a week, so it must be pretty good. They don't swim though, so not sure about the pool, but I've seen it, and it looks ok.

2009-08-24 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I was a Sport Fit member for a few years before joining the Columbia Association.  Back then, I wasn't into triathlon so I only swam there a handful of times.  The times that I did swim (weekday evenings) the pool wasn't crowded.  I don't have any bad memories of the facility or the staff.

2009-08-24 5:32 PM

I used to belong to Sport Fit in Laurel and swam a lot, many evenings had to wait until after water aerobics but once that was over, not usually for a lane. Once in a while I had to share a lane, it is a small pool.  When Lifetime Fitness opened in Columbia, I went there and have never looked back. It is AWESOME!  I do not however have to swim in the evenings, I am sure the pool would be crowded there too.  You can get a pass to try out the place. If you join, you will not regret it!
2009-08-26 1:56 PM

User image

I currently swim at the Sport Fit in Bowie, I imagine they aren't so terribly different. It's ok, not great. It's a small pool, with 3 or 4 lap lanes max. I found it much better to go later at night, around 7:30, than right after work, when it seemed most crowded. I went just this past Monday around 7:45  and it was practically empty - I am thinking it is also a back to school effect.

One good thing to note was they had a really cheap membership deal when I signed up - $40/month and it's just month to month, so you can cancel at any time. That might make it worth looking into (and no initiation fee).
2009-08-27 7:00 AM

User image

FYI, the Washington Sports Club in downtown Silver Spring's pool is tiny- I think it's all of 2 or 3 lanes. We used to live right near there and when it first opened I was excited to find a gym with a pool but when we went to take the tour I was shocked at how small it was- I'm not sure it's even 25m. I don't know anything about how crowded it gets but I would imagine with just a few lanes and in a populated downtown area, it's probably hard to get into the pool at peak times. Just a guess though so if you think about trying it out go take a tour at the times you'll want to use the pool or ask for a guest pass for a week to see what it's like at the times you want to use it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annoyed with my current pool choices--Anyone go to the Laurel Sport Fit? Rss Feed